Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soon to be banded in Richmond

I don't want to scare anyone, but thought I would relate my experience. Dr. Brengman was my lapband surgeon and ultimately, he saved my life. I had my Realize band in July, 2008. I lost 30-35 pounds before and after the surgery. But in March 2009, I suddenly started throwing up bile and had horrible abdominal pains. We called an ambulance and I was taken to St. Mary's Hospital. It turned out to be a gallstone, which lodged in the pancreatic duct, causing severe necrotizing pancreatitis. I was so sick I nearly died, but Dr. Brengman and the other docs treated me aggressively and I pulled through. I was in the hospital 5 months, had 6 surgeries, sepsis, lung and kidney failure (temporary, though), blood clots in both legs, and had to have my lapband removed. I also was not allowed to eat or drink anything and was fed by tpn for 1 1/2 months initially and later another 4 months while at home. I did lost another 70 pounds and am pretty much normal weight now. I am doing much better but still have a lot of abdominal discomfort and an ileostomy which is supposed to be reversed hopefully in the fall. Dr. Brengman told me the gallstones were not caused by the lapband, which I was glad of since I was self-pay and insurance wouldn't cover any complications from the lapband (the total cost of all of this has been over 2 million dollars). However, I have read that both obesity and rapid weight loss can cause gallstones. Even so, most people don't get as sick as I was. Dr. Brengman was wonderful throughout all of this, saved my life, and I highly recommend him. You will love him. Best wishes to all of you out there and good luck with your weight loss. I have had a hard time, but love being thin now, although I don't recommend the "pancreatitis diet."

nyllrap,

Dr. Brengman is my doc too. I LOVE him! He's looking into possible gallstones for me now. I have to call him tomorrow for test results.

Sorry to hear about all your trouble. Has he discussed verticle sleeve with you or are you just going to keep the weight off on your own?

Hi Suzanne, I just love Dr. Brengman too! He has been so good to me, and really did save my life. He and Stacy are always so nice when I see them. I am not going to do any more bariatric surgery. I am normal weight now and plan on just keeping it off the old fashioned way - I am eating very healthy and getting a lot of exercise. I am sure Dr. Brengman would not advise or do any more bariatric surgery on me. Unfortunately, I recently discovered I have endometrial cancer. When I first got sick with the pancreatitis, my monthlies started up again. They ordered a gynecological consult and I had an ultrasound, which was clear. A year later, the bleeding continued and I had another ultrasound and D&C which revealed the cancer. So I will be having surgery #7 on June 30. The gynecologic oncologist will do that and Dr. Brengman will do some other things. He gave me an ileostomy and I want him to reverse it then, but he said he won't know if he can until he operates and sees how my colon looks (I lost half of it due to the pancreatitis). I am not looking forward to another surgery but want to get the cancer out and the ileostomy reversed. Luckily, endometrial cancer has about an 85% cure rate. With all I have been through, the lap band surgery was a piece of cake (I had a huge open abdominal wound and a wound vac for about 4 months). But again, I really feel like I owe my life to Dr. Brengman and Stacy. I see Erin Wed. for my pre-surgery check-up. I hope you are doing well. You look great!

nyllrap,

I am so sorry to hear about your cancer and the colon trouble. My goodness, you really have been through the ringer. I'm glad that Dr. Brengman is taking good care of you. He is a wonderful doctor. How did your appointment go on Wed?

He thinks I may be having gallbladder trouble. I'm waiting for his office to call me back to schedule a HIDA scan.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Suzanne, my appointment went fine. I didn't see Erin or Dr. Brengman, but did see Stacy, who I really like also. Nothing much happened - they just wanted to make sure I was ok for surgery. Stacy told me Dr. Brengman wasn't going to take down my ileostomy unless my colon is in really good condition. It was supposed to be temporary but the pancreas ended up eating a good amount of my pancreas so I don't know if I will be stuck with the damn thing or not. But you are right, I am in really good hands with Dr. Brengman and St. Mary's. I still visit the nurses on the 4th floor where I spent 4 months. I hope you find out soon about your gallbladder. If you have stones you definitely want to get it out so what happened to me doesn't happen to you. Both obesity and weight loss can cause gallstones, and I ended up having a bunch of them.

Thanks. I hope you can have it removed. You've been through enough an deserve a break. When is your sugery again? Let me l know how you are doing after.

It is June 30. I hate to have to wait so long but that was the first the 2 surgeons could both do it (Dr. Welander is my gynecologic oncologist - he is excellent also). Stacy said I am the only surgery Dr. B. is doing that day because they never know what to expect from me due to my history. Let me know what is happening with your gallbladder. I will look for you at their office - I am there on a regular basis!

Will do. Lauren was supposed to call me yesterday to schedule a HIDA scan, but they didn't call me. I'm going to call at 8:30 and see if I can get it done before they get too busy.

June 30 will be here before you know it. Summer days seem to go by faster than winter ones. ;-)

Good luck with that. From what I understand, the HIDA scan isn't too bad to have (although I never had one). You are lucky Dr. B. didn't order a barium enema like he made me have. That was the worst test I have ever taken!