Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is having surgery in Mexico such a taboo subject?

Technically, the doctor who does your surgery is responsible for your post-op care. Your doctor is not necessarily going to know the quality of care you received in Mexico or with any other doctor for that matter, as well as the quality of the work that was done. In my opinion, if you choose to go to Mexico, you should follow up in Mexico. The doctor who does your surgery is more familiar with what he did to you than a doctor here who doesn't know what was done. This is a huge liability risk. The other thing to consider is that the medical standards are not the same as in the US.

I think the thought of it can be alarming at first, but it really is unfounded and ridiculous. People all over the world have surgery for one thing or another and a different doctor provides care for them later on. Yes, it's best to go back to the surgeon for follow up, but PCPs are more than capable of managing post-op bariatric patients.

What happens when you move related to a job transfer or to care for an ailing parent? You certainly aren't going to travel back to the original surgeon just for a follow-up; you'd do what everyone has to do, find a new doctor and transfer your medical records.

I wonder what happens to any person who has had surgery in another location, say overseas or in another state, and is relocated do to a job change, etc. does that mean they have to return to the surgeon wherever it was performed? That is ridiculous assumption. If a dentist made dentures for a patient and there needed to be an adjustment, would another dentist refuse to work on the dentures because he would not want to be responsible or liable for the ill fitting dentures? If a woman delivered her baby by another doctor because she was out of town and the baby came early, would her OBGYN tell her that he can no longer be her doctor because he didn't deliver the baby? I agree with Bittersweet. We are a very global society and people move about all the time. The excuse about liability is lame. I did not ask my surgeon (dr. Houseworth) to be liable for the surgery performed by another surgeon. Why would I even expect that? I simply wanted him to do the follow up such as bloodwork and eventually the 6 month barium swallow if deemed necessary. How in heavens does that put him in a risky position?

Here is my reasoning why he declined. There is no real money in it for him. The surgery is where the big bucks are. He is much to busy to bother with the small stuff. He was more then happy to take my daughter's money while we were going through all the pretesting because he thought the final event would be the ultimate expensive surgery. Well, since that is not going to happen, we can just p... Off!

We will continue with the planned surgery in Mexico and we will do the followup bloodwork etc with a PCP in the area. As noted in this thread, we will not explain where the surgery was performed but will simply ask for the orders to be placed for the required bloodwork. Any immediate complications, if they arise, will be addressed via urgent care or ER. If not urgent we will head back to Mexico and revisit Dr. Ortiz. The flight is cheaper then the dr visit here in the US!

Greed is the name that comes to mind here... And prejudice. But it is what it is.

You are comparing an elective surgery in another country to ill-fitting dentures? LOL Ok. I didn't make any assumption that you have to return to the same surgeon. It is, however, always in your best interest to return to the same doctor IF you can. Yes, we all move and relocate and have to change our doctors. I am talking specifically about WLS. Because of the complications that can arise, I simply believe that this type of surgery is best being followed up by the surgeon who did it. Many people who have their surgery in Mexico travel back for their follow ups so it's really not that unheard of. It's all a personal choice. By all means, go to whoever you want for follow up, it's your body. Personally, I'd rather follow up with the doctor who knows what he did to my body but that's me. Insurance companies don't allow someone to do all of the pre-testing for nothing so there must be more to their reason for denial. Also, if you have your surgery in Mexico and come back here for follow-up, your insurance company isn't likely to cover it.

Have you looked into any recourse you have if your surgery in Mexico does not go well or if complications arise when you get home? Most of the time, you are unable to sue off-shore surgeons. And yes, American doctors would be open to lawsuits if they provided you with post-op advice without the actual knowledge of your surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if you are asked to sign a waiver.

Edited by JerzyTomato74

Sometimes, as I believe is the case with many of us here on this site, we have no choice but to do our surgeries in Mexico because of the cost constraints. Perfect world would allow us to have the perfect surgery by the perfect dr. in the perfect location. But the world is not perfect and many times not even fair. So we make the best of the situation and move on. Making the decision to have surgery in Mexico is not an easy one to make. Unbiased surgeons in the US willing to assist in the followup care would help to alleviate some of the worry. I have to wonder if such attitude would be the same if it were not Mexico. I do believe greed and prejudice comes into play here.

You call WLS elective.... I call it a life saver.

Another reason local MD's are hesitant to follow up with cases done in Mexico has to do with payment. If you have been denied by your insurance company and choose to pay for surgery out of pocket, in or out of country, then you are responsible for all follow up care. Most insurance companies do not pay for procedures/follow up related to a denied or non covered service. That also means that any complications you may have are on you to pay for. Doctors have enough trouble getting payments from claims and do not want to have to deal with patients.

We have nonprofit hospitals where no one can be turned away. We have court appointed attorneys for those that cannot pay.

I think its intollerance. Accuse the person of being racist and their tone changes really fast. I think I received better care in Mexico than I would have at any US Hospital.

Don't forget, we have thousands of malpractice suits filed every single day in hospitals across the US.

Mistakes happen, but the US really can't put down the Mexican Medical Professionals.

If I were a doctor and had the choice between working in the US or going across the border each day, I'd go across the border each day, pay less in taxes, do volume and still enjoy life. It makes cents in my head. All of the doctors in Mexico are guaranteed payment. In the US they aren't.

Alot of my friends are ignorant and don't do research before they open their mouths and make some stupid remarks. Mexico is NOT a 3rd world country and they don't do these procedures in an alleyway. I feel very comfortable about having it done in Tijuana. Granted the hospitals are not as big and fancy as the US hospitals but inside.......they are state of the art AND the doctors are NOT greedy......keep costs down and you can do they cheaper!! It would be even cheaper than $4200-5200 IF you did not have to go through an AMERICAN company as the middle man

Alot of my friends are ignorant and don't do research before they open their mouths and make some stupid remarks. Mexico is NOT a 3rd world country and they don't do these procedures in an alleyway. I feel very comfortable about having it done in Tijuana. Granted the hospitals are not as big and fancy as the US hospitals but inside.......they are state of the art AND the doctors are NOT greedy......keep costs down and you can do they cheaper!! It would be even cheaper than $4200-5200 IF you did not have to go through an AMERICAN company as the middle man

Hey Packer, I know what you mean about stupid remarks. My family hit the roof when I told them I'm going to Mexico. My RN daughter even went to her doctor for support to help change my mind. I had to crack up laughing when he told her that many people go out of country for many different procedures as there are excellent well-trained doctors in other countries. Now here is the kicker. He is from India! Bwahahahahaha!

My co-workers gave me a hard time also. However when they realized how much research I have done and that I am serious they first made it the office joke. They were taking up organ donations in case the strip-mall doc removed a kidney or some other organ that I might need! LOL Now they are beginning to be curious and ask questions to which I always give straight forward answers.

I think it was just a matter of not being informed. My surgery is scheduled for November, but it has already been quite a journey!

I saw this and had to comment, it just makes me feel so sad for those who aren't covered by their insurance for a surgery that can really help. Then again, most insurances don't cover nutritional visits unless you are diabetic. Maybe if they did, they wouldn't get diabetic in the first place! At least the surgery gives people a chance at getting healthier.

Simply insane.

I can understand why people go to Mexico. I am pretty sure the issue is liability. In the case of my area, there are non compete agreements between the 2 major providers, legal agreements I was told, so you are stuck when you have a problem. The only thing I would want is for people to make sure they do have care when they come back. Or at least have the surgeon work with the doctors to help.

Just so that everyone is clear. Anytime you sign a consent form, that constitutes elective surgery - which would include open heart surgery, hemmorhoids, dental surgery, and yes WLS. It matters not, they are all elective.

There is a stigma, it is unfair, and is driven by money, not liability. Doctors have and will continue to have to provide care for patients who have surgeries by other physicians. That's just the way it is. They either wise up or their not-so-smart attitude will continue to increase the burden on the health care system.

If a patient can not get a bariatric surgeon to accept them after WLS in MX, guess what happens? Straight to the emergency room people go, and ERs don't have a choice, they have to treat you no matter what the problem is or whether you have insurance or not. The EGD, ultrasound, CT, labs......whatever is necessary based on your symptoms will get done, no matter where you had surgery. Bariatric surgeons in the States who turn their noses up at MX are not worried about liability, they're worried about their pockets. They would gladly accept a patient who had surgery in New York or any other U.S. city / state. It's ridiculous.

You're right, when I tell people about my surgery, they get a double whammy. Not only did I have WLS , but I had it in Mexico! It's kind of funny to watch the shock on their faces. Ironically, my parents were more concerned about the surgery part than the Mexico part because my aunt and uncle have travelled to Mexico for years for medical and dental care. And my mom has had her share of dealing with incompetent US doctors.

By being open about my surgery, I've had many opportunities to dispel many myths about both WLS and medical care in Mexico. My OB/Gyn was so impressed she has recommended my surgeon to other patients. Even my skeptical PCP acknowledges I made a good choice. And I know at least one of my client's friends had VSG in Mexico after hearing how safe it actually is.

The words of encouragement here are exactly why I stay glued to this site. Making the decision to go to Mexico for surgery was huge for me and my daughters. I love them dearly and would not want to put them in jeopardy. I believe that our choice of location and surgeon is a sound decision based on research and accreditation/credentials awarded to the Bariatric center and surgeon. Yes, I had surgery here in the US because I had a more tolerant and accommodating Ins. plan that sees WLS as a positive step towards preventative measures. My daughters were not so lucky. :-(. Fine, it is what it is. We moved on to plan B. The feedback provided by the hundreds of posters who have gone to Mexico before us help lead the way for those of us who will follow behind them. The arrogance of the doctors here in the US should not be a surprise to me or anyone else. I am going to look for a PCP here that is 1. Nurse Practioner, 2. Woman, 3. Nonwhite! I think with that combination I should be able to find a care provider that is competent, caring, compassionate and into diversity! I will leave the white male doctors out of my search in the future! Hehee.

Kindle, you are correct. I know the stigmas behind the WLS are huge and add Mexico to the equation and the shock factor goes even higher. I will have the ability to do an honest compare between the procedures, facilities, and care plan between WLS here in the US and there in Mexico. Having had the surgery myself here (June 17 2014) and being with my daughters in Mexico when they have their Sleeve surgeries in Mexico in Dec. I have not shared my WLS journey at this point, but to help pay it forward I WILL do as you have suggested here and in other posts. I will tell anyone and everyone who is genuinely interested about our experiances. If it makes even one person more comfortable with their decision to have the surgery in Mexico then it will be worth the insufferable negative responses from those that are ignorant in the matter.

My doctor here in the US is F.A.C.S certified and the surgery was performed in a Center of Excellence facility. The doctor we chose in Mexico (dr. Arial Ortiz) is also certified F.A.C.S and OCC facility is also accredited Center of Excellance. If those credentials and accreditations were good enough for me here in the US to have my surgery, they are good enough for my daughters to have the surgery in Mexico!

Thank you to all the Mexico WLS posters! Your important data and feedback help so many others to see another opportunity for a second option when our first open is denied by insurance companies!

Amen! Planning on seeing Dr. Ortiz next month. Sorry I'll miss you and your daughters at OCC! Please stay in touch.