Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss after Surgery

Yes, I have had a lot of Hair loss but fortunately have a lot of hair to begin with. I was told not to worry until 6 months post op. Of course this is not my first major surgery so I know what to expect from that perspective. Also the extreme weight loss loss and Protein will be the double whammy. It is important that you ensure you get your protein levels up. My medical team does not have me taking anything for hair loss though.

I have very fine hair to start with and I did loose some hair from the shock of surgery to the system.

I take Biotin in chewable form every day and have not noticed other Hair growth in odd places.

I get in plenty of Protein every day but of course I'm 13 months post op.

I made sure I ate my protein so I would heal properly and also to help maintain as much hair as possible.

You also can loose hair from an imbalance in your hormones which was a problem for me and that wasn't from the surgery.

Good luck and best wishes.

I am 6.5 months post op. I have been losing hair for about 2 months. No new growth on my head yet but I am seeing more "fur" on my face. I've always had very light fuzz on my face but I have noticed a lot more these days. My eyebrows are also thicker which is weird. I have been taking Biotin.

I've heard a combination of Biotin and Coromega is the the golden combination. That's what I will be doing along with meeting my Protein requirements. Surgery is Nov 18th!!

I'm slated for surgery 12/1 and have been taking Biotin. I have thin hair and don't want to lose any but I'm hearing more and more that some hair-loss is normal with this procedure. If push comes to shove...I'll shave my head and buy wigs until my own hair grows back :)

im new to this site and it kinda upset me to hear of the Hair loss but I don't mind cause im getting healthy and its complications in everything that we do side affects all the time im due for mine in 2015 I love the info and insights on the different issues....THANKS GUYS. :rolleyes:

I was told to start Nail & hair Biotin pills three months before my surgery. My surgery is Nov. 4th and I started the Biotin in May. My nails grow like crazy and I have to file them down often. My hair is thick to start with. Protein, Protein, and more Protein!

Edited by viktoryalynne

I'm still pre op until 11/18 but right now I've been taking Biotin 5000mg twice a day, I will have to find chewables for after surgery

I have lost tons of hair, it's absolutely crazy how much hair is in the shower after I wash it, and then if I flat Iron it, there's hair all over my floor. It's all over my white tile all over my house! My hairdresser can't believe how much hair I've lost. I started taking 5000mg of Biotin about 2 months ago, not seeing a big difference yet. I'm Italian and Greek ,so I'm worried about facial hair getting thicker :/

Luckily I have lots of hair on my head, even though I've lost probably half(no joke) I don't have any bald spots, my hair dresser even said to me, you just have a normal amount of

Hair now. Lol. Anyway, I hope the biotin helps. My pharmacist said 5000 mg is best daily.

I have thin hair so I'm so worried about having bald spots. I know a few people that swear by Coromega squeeze pouches. They are a little pricey but the people I know that use it have little to no Hair loss. I haven't noticed hair anywhere else for the Biotin but I'd deal with it if it helped me keep the hair on my head. Lol how far are you post op?