Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you all make it at home the first two weeks with small children?

I have my date of dec 2 and was wondering how people handle taking care of small children so soon after surgery. I won't have a lot of help.

My children are 2 and 3 1/2.

I don't think they will understand why I can't pick them up :(

Any advise ?

I have a 2 year old. He broke his leg 10 days after my surgery and wound up at the ER. But I did have my husband around for a week and my mom. I did carry him at times because he couldnt walk for a week. Not great advice but I really recovered quick. Not that my surgeon would want to hear I lugged my two year old around.

He did get used to Grandma carrying him instead of me and stopped whining about it.

I wish you good luck!

Also....I did cook for him while I was on liquids. I didnt feel too bad about it. I made eggs, sandwiches, quesadillas....anything for our children, right?

I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old, so not as small as your kids, but I'm 8 days post op and I had my mom help out for the first 3 days while I was recovering then came home and was on my own. It's not that bad, you just can't pick them up. For most people, from what I've seen, the pain part passes fast, and then it's just dealing with being tired. Smaller kids can still nap so you might be ok on that front, but I would certainly get them some snack foods that youdon't have to spend a lot of time preparing, and prepare yourself for a messy house for a couple weeks.

This is why our surgeon won't let my husband and I have surgery at the same time (day). He says we have to wait a week in between because we have a one year old and he said absolutely no lifting over 10 lbs for a week. :-( I hope it all works out well for you.

My kiddos were 3 and 4 when I had my surgery, You would be surprised what they can pick up and understand at that age. I just just talk to them, say mommy can't pick you up right now, or sit down and have them climb up. I too had to cheat a little because we have a silverado and I had to help my little guy get up into the back seat but as long as you aren't in pain and aren't carrying your little one around constantly you should be fine. They are trying to prevent any issues internally that could come with carrying anything over 10 lbs...although i Have heard some allow up to 25 lbs so it depends on you.

I wish you the best of luck! it will all be ok!

My twins were 2 at the time I had my surgery. I did have help from my husband and grandma but I also explained that mommy can't pick you up because I have a sore tummy. Usually there were fine if I got down on the floor with them and let them sit on me. I healed fast and honestly I don't recall being given any lifting restrictions. I think they just said I could go by how I felt. My twins are 3 now and I still lift them because of a bad shoulder but honestly, my son is 38 pounds so I don't want to be lifting him anyway.

Wow such great responses :)

Thank you all so very much:)

I wish my kids napped at the same time!

As long as recovery isn't worse than c-section recovery I think I'll do fine lol

I have a 3yr old n 5yr old. I showed them my boo boos and that helped a lot. They sre so careful and gentle. We also started talking about it for a few weeks leading up to surgery. My surgery restrictions were no mire than 10lbs for 1 month.

My son is 8 and medically dependent. He can't walk or crawl. Good medallist in rolling though! ;) He's 45lbs. and the surgeon says I can't pick him up for 6 weeks. It'd only been 2 weeks and it's already driving me crazy. I have some awesome nurses that take care of him and then hubby takes over when there not here.

I was wondering about this I have a 3 year old about 35lbs and I teach 3&4 year olds. Im not required to lift my students but it does come with the territory. Im will take off for 2 weeks and then go back to work for 1 week and then have thanksgiving break for a week so im hoping I can handle it.

I have a 1 yr old and honestly this was the hardest part for me!!! I actually had a post a lot like this. Me and my Dr made compromises. I can't pick her up from the floor if I'm standing. But I can sit on the couch and pull her in my lap. I can't stand with her if I'm sitting but someone can hand her to me for short periods of time...it's not nearly as much loving as I'm used to giving her, yes, I'm "that mom". But it's better than not holding her. I was sleeved on October 29 and the worst I've done is taken her out of her car seat, she got to walk to the door by herself though!

It's HARD, and I have my parents here helping all week. My daughter (2) doesn't understand why I can't pick her up, and keeps asking. But I'm also doing what I can without picking her up -- changing clothes and diapers on the floor, feeding her food on the sofa instead of at the table, asking her to climb into her car seat by herself, and if she wants to sit on my lap I have her climb onto the sofa by herself and I put a pillow between her and my stomach before she gets in my lap. It's all about the work-around!

Good luck.

I got my approval today.

My mother and sister inlaw are going to help me for the first 2 weeks. Hanks goodness!! Lol