Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me I won't be hungry anymore!

Hello all! I've been reading a lot of post ops ... They keep saying how their hungry still.. I'm so scared this is going to happen to me.. My doc says that he uses a 38-39 bougie and I do t feel like that is small enough for me.. I just eat 2 thin burgers and a few slices of steak and am still hungry.. Pls tell me this gets better!! Thank you in advance!!

@@kymmiej11 Hello,

From what I read it said the bougie size should be between 32-36. I am glad that I read your post. I am going to ask my surgeon what size he uses.

I agree with @@Thinkingthinner1109

Tonight for dinner I ate 2 oz of lean ground beef with taco seasoning, a sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of sour cream. I ate one bite too much and was so full I had chest pains and had to walk around for a few minutes. And my stomach hasn't growled in a month.

I'm only 10 days out, I have only felt hungry once. I was aggravated about something, and then all of the sudden I got "hungry". I wasn't actually hungry, I wanted to emotional eat! It was head hunger. I think if your mind is made up and you are honestly ready for this, you won't be hungry.

Well I think I feel real hunger not head hunger because my stomach is growling! Are you eating the bread and all when you say you eat 2 thin burgers? I haven't had any bread yet or a burger.

Unfortunately I can't tell you that you won't feel hunger. My surgeon uses an oversewn 32Fr. Bougie so I have a teeny sleeve. But that has nothing to do with hunger. In the beginning, my physical "hunger pains" were acid, despite taking 40mg omeprazole daily. But Rolaids or maaloxx usually helped. I was even fortunate not to suffer from head hunger for a pretty long time. Eating and drinking were a chore that I didn't enjoy. But around 3-4 months out I started feeling more normal and my hunger came back in full force. I basically have to eat every 3 hours or I start chewing on my own arm. The key is to make smart food choices and to eat in moderation. I eat just enough to feel satisfied, not full. I overate just once and that's all it took. I didn't puke, but I sure didn't feel good.

They don't say it's not the easy way out for nothing. It is still a lifetime of hard work and commitment to eating healthy. The sleeve won't make you not want to eat, but it can help you eat less (unless you just graze all day, then all bets are off)

Edited by Kindle

My surgeon uses a larger bougie (not sure what size, he just said he uses larger than most) I have not felt hungry since surgery. I'm 5 weeks out.

I'm 10 weeks out and yes, I feel hunger. Hunger is a normal feeling whether we have a tiny stomach or a full size stomach...according to my doctor. He also explained to me that the only thing that is changing is the size of my stomach. Everything else is on me. I have to choose the right foods....avoid the wrong ones....and exercise. Its not a miracle cure for obesity...its just a tool to help us put the fork down. It will definitely help us lose weight, it works as long as we follow the guidelines. He warned the honeymoon period only lasts so long then we have to work harder as we get closer to goal or when we reach goal because maintaining is work too.

So, I usually feel hungry when its been about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs since I last ate. I eat a small meal and I'm good to go for another 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. I think I was so used to eating whatever and whenever I wanted to before, that its strange to me to feel hunger before each meal....like I was suppose to be feeling all these years. But sometimes I can drink Water and it staves off the hunger if I cant eat right away.

The first 6 weeks were a learning experience. Not much hunger but I learned what and how much to eat. The past 4 weeks have gotten a lot easier but I do feel hunger a little more intensely. I can eat a little more and I can eat pretty much what I want within the guidelines of a good diet. I don't miss anything. If I want a bite of something "bad" I plan for it and I have a bite...not a slice or hunk or a pile. I don't want anymore (and there's not enough room anyway). I just hope that I can stay vigilant and maintain my control. The real hunger can be dealt with a lot more easily than thoughts of food or "head hunger"....for me, anyway.

I am 7 weeks, no hunger. I have to make myself eat about every 2 hours or I do feel a little weak. But hunger, not a bit.

Edited by JCP

I feel real stomach growling hunger. I wasn't expecting to feel it so it am very disappointed, but I do eat much much less. Just a few ounces and I'm satisfied. Some days I eat much more than other days. Today is a day that I hardly ate anything, yesterday I are a lot more.

I am almost 6 weeks post-op, and I feel hungry if I don't eat every 2-3 hours. However, it doesn't take much at all to make me feel full...just a few bites of something, and I'm good to go. I try to eat 5-6 small meals/snacks a day. If I stick to that, I don't feel hungry. It's just when I get busy with work or something else and get off schedule that I feel hungry.

I'm 14 months post op, i don't get hungry, if i go too long without eating i get light headed.