Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightlifting

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm a year and a half out. I lost the weight, but I hate the way I look. I am weak and have no muscle tone.I want to start weightlifting but I'm nervous/intimidated in the weightlifting area. Does someone have a routine to share or point me in the right direction? I tried a trainer and got injured.

Thanks!

Nick

@@poohbear1019

I so get the wanting to tone up. I'm new to weightlifting. I use the weight machines at my gym. They seem a bit more user friendly. I'm working on my core right now. Have you looked up any youtube videos on weightlifting workouts?

Would you consider the trainer again or what about the above of using the machines to help and then doing the free area? Or how about doing the free area on a less used time? Maybe Saturday afternoon, that tends to be a good time at the gyms I've been in.

The dudebros in the weight area are no more intimidating that those super fit joggers on the treadmills. You just need to change your mindset and realize that they are not focused on you at all. Having said that, if freeweights are intimidating, start off with the machines. The hardcore dudebros generally do not use the life fitness or matrix machines. You can start with them. You'll get a better workout with freeweights, but we all need to start off slowly.

As for a trainer. Was the trainer you hired just a bad trainer or was it just a freak occurrence that you got injured? You need to lay out your desires clearly with a personal trainer. Let them know your goals, your limitations (so if you have bad knees and lunges cause pain, you need to tell them that). Remember that this trainer works for you - you are paying them. So if you cannot do explosive plyometric moves because of a bum ankle, tell him.

Have you tried CrossFit? I have always found that to be a very welcoming community and a great way to tone up. Also, what Forsythia said...no one is paying attention to you at the gym. :) I used to think people were looking at me when I was larger and I tried to work out at a gym, when in reality everyone is so focused on their own thing, they could care less about you, lol.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies and ideas everyone! As far as a trainer I would like to find a good trainer. The last one was an old school Russian whose philosophy was, doesn't matter if it hurts, lift heavier. I can't do crossfit right now because I'm waiting on knee surgery. I've gotten books and apps. I just need to do it! A lifting buddy would be awesome to find!

Thanks for the replies and ideas everyone! As far as a trainer I would like to find a good trainer. The last one was an old school Russian whose philosophy was, doesn't matter if it hurts, lift heavier. I can't do crossfit right now because I'm waiting on knee surgery. I've gotten books and apps. I just need to do it! A lifting buddy would be awesome to find!

How about putting an ad in your local paper?

@Forsythia I think you hit the nail on the head -- people are so focused on what they're doing they don't pay much attention to you. Just like in high school when you thought you were the sun in the center of the universe... others were their own little suns and really didn't think about you that much.

@poohbear1019 Maybe you could find a trainer affiliated with a medical group that could work with you.My gym is affiliated with a local hospital and it seems all the trainers there are very "HEALTH" focused instead of a no pain no gain mentality. My trainer listened carefully to what I told her I felt my limitations were and she watches every move I make and if she sees it's too difficult or hurting or that I can't maintain good form, she gives me an easier version of that exercise. However, in the 5-6 months I've been working with her (pre and post surgery), I've seen SO much improvement and I've gained SO much strength!

Don't let one bad experience with a trainer put you off. Next time, interview them and really look at what their philosophy is before paying out cash. They should all be willing to do a free consultation and maybe even a free workout to see if you're a good fit.

Lifting weights is FUN! And for me, as a woman who typically have less upper body strength, I've seen great improvements. Like lifting those heavy cases of Water or the 35 pound bag of dog food. I DO grunt when I lift though -- VERY unladylike! :)

Forsythia was all over it! Great post! Don't worry about some tool in the weightroom or someone supposedly judging you. I would be willing to bet that MOST don't really care why you're in there and will not judge you. I don't mean that in a mean way, but if they're in there for the right reason and like me, they are in there to lift and are focused on that and too busy to judge. As for me, if I see someone that's new or has the deer in the headlights look, I'm more than willing to offer a helping hand or give advice that may be able to help. My thought is......"that person in there trying to better him/herself, which is better than not lifting/exercising or being active, so good for them". "Poohbear", don't worry about what people think or don't think of you, especially people you don't even know or care about. It's your life, your body, do what you want. I can't speak for all gyms, but if yours is like mine, people are supportive and just impressed that one is taking upon themselves to lift and be fit. Find a trainer to help you learn or find a weightlifting buddy with experience or do some research to learn or just watch people that look like they know what they're doing. You got this! ;) Feel free to ask me or anyone here if you have questions lifting, we're more than willing to help. It's never too late to start. Wish you the best!

:)

Also poohbear, if you don't already, try to have some definate goals as to what you want to get from lifting. Lift to improve athletic performance, lift to just move heavy weights (numbers), lift for physique, or a combination of the two? From your original post, it sounds like physique and asthetic purposes may be your goals. High volume (many sets/many reps, lower weight) may help you.

Edited by aroundhky

What's been helping me is bodybuilding.com and there body space app you can choose a workout regimen like I just started a 12 week plan that even had a diet plan. And im starting to notice some definition in my arms and chest

@@poohbear1019

For sure I would try another trainer. I love my trainer. She works within the limitations of my arthritic knees and my lower back pain and still she gives me a great sweaty workout without hurting anything. Talking to her is important. I let her know my goals and limitations and if a new routine causes me discomfort I let her know immediately so we can either skip it or modify it.

A trainer is a wonderful resource when you find the right one. Look at their credentials and interview them until you find the right one. They are not cheap so be picky and choose the one that fits you best.

Also poohbear, if you don't already, try to have some definate goals as to what you want to get from lifting. Lift to improve athletic performance, lift to just move heavy weights (numbers), lift for physique, or a combination of the two? From your original post, it sounds like physique and asthetic purposes may be your goals. High volume (many sets/many reps, lower weight) may help you.

You might look into a classes if your gym offers them. Once a week I take a weight class at my gym - body works plus abs. It's a high rep, low/moderate weight class. I don't use anything heavier than 8 lbs and am sore for days because of the high reps (some of the men in the class use 10s or 12s or 15s). But at the same time, the instructor is really focusing on triceps/chest so we do a lot of push ups and I've seen a lot of strength gain in my triceps/chest because of that and one of my problem areas (triceps) have gotten tighter - and sleeves fit better now than they did a little while ago.

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm a year and a half out. I lost the weight, but I hate the way I look. I am weak and have no muscle tone.I want to start weightlifting but I'm nervous/intimidated in the weightlifting area. Does someone have a routine to share or point me in the right direction? I tried a trainer and got injured.

Thanks!

Nick

Look at the gym schedule maybe there is a weight lifting class you can do that's how I get my weight lifting on. Those juiceheads at the lifting area intimidate me lol.