Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what's the deal w soda? can i ever have it again?

I'm 3 days into my liquid diet and I too am a diet Pepsi addict (I could easily drink 6 cans a day without realizing it). The first day was the worst because of the withdrawal headaches, even though I cut back to 2 or 3 cans a day. I'm not missing it too much, but there is still some in the house which can make it hard when I open the fridge. I have two sisters who have been sleeved. One drank carbonated beverages pretty early, I want to say at 2 months and continues to drink beer and soda. The other doesn't drink anything carbonated. She thinks it's a slippery slope, where beer helped get her overweight, she doesn't want to introduce it back into her diet. So she avoids it altogether but has said she could have it if she wants. She is 18 months out and doing great, but the other sister is 16 months out and also doing great. She was not doomed. So each journey is different and I would ask your surgeon or NUT (it took me awhile to figure out what that meant).

Jeffrey

You will not want carbonated beverages....it will hurt, and cause gas. Yes it can stretch your pouch, but mostly, your own body will reject things you cant imagine giving up. Soda is a great addiction to remove...water Water Water.

No change, no change

good luck

Marian

I hear you! Of all the changes that will be coming in my near future, the loss of my Dt. Pepsi will be the hardest to take! Good luck to both of us!

i am 3 months out and have had soda on a few occasions and it tasted fine, felt fine, no issues that I could see. That said, I'm not a soda addict per se and can take it or leave it. when I did have it, I mostly drank about 1/4 of the portion poured for me because i was just too full after that and eating the amount I could of the food ordered ... whatever. I just like my great value brand copycat crystal light and the homemade iced tea I make.

I was a heavy coke drinker until two weeks ago. I like a cold coke from a fountain. It's been rough but I really want this to step in my life to work for me. I slowly cut back than cold turkey. The flavored waters help me a lot. I'm scheduled for my sleeve Nov. 4th

Edited by viktoryalynne

@ Della Street ~ I was a heavy regular coke drinker and give it up over two weeks ago. I had terrible headaches in the morning. I no longer have them. I drank a lot of flavored waters. Non carbonated and I'm surviving.????

Hi my name is curvycurlyfit and its been 4 days since my last Cherry Coke Zero.

My plan allows carbonated beverages after two weeks but it will be far longer before I try it. I know I will at some point but really trying to break the grip.

Carbonation doesn't stretch the sleeve. These are words direct from my surgeon. It does, however, irritate the sleeve, so that's why it's important to not drink strong carbonation and to wait until you're well healed.

There are many schools of thought on this subject...here is mine...

it has ZERO benefit to me... carbonated beverages should not be counted towards your liquid intake either...so, truly ZERO... that said, I choose not to have it. I haven't had a carbonated beverage in over 2 years, and do not miss it... like anything else that you purge from your system, once you are "cleansed" from it, you don't miss it... I know (I believe) that if I have a Diet Coke, etc., that it is just a matter of time before I start back on my DC habit...and I'd just rather not. Good luck...it's truly WORTH IT!

:)

I don't believe in being doomed :)

I drink soda, healthy as a horse, I make great nutritional choices 90% of the time,

log my meals, I exercise.

I'm good. Definitely not doomed.

@@LipstickLady

welllll bud

matter of opinion......

i always thought you were doomed :D:lol:

naw, i know you do great, soda and all :)

what's the deal w soda? can i ever have it again?

@@Jeffrey Eliot

from day one i was told not to drink soda :wacko:

coke - i ONLY enjoyed/drank it with pizza

i was never a big soda drinker

carbonation problems et al

but you are a smart cookie, you know that :)

just because you can doesn't mean you should

old saying here that some vets et al might be sick of hearing

if you try soda, you might find that it does give you problems with your tummy :blink:

it might not agree with you :(

per most nuts you shouldn't ever drink soda :(

people have been shot for less :lol:

up to you dude :)

what a dilemma - to drink or not

if all our problems were that small! :rolleyes::lol:

good luck with pending surgery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I was totally addicted to diet pepsi pre surgery. .. I am happy to say I have not had ANY soda of any kind for over a year and since I tend to get addicted to things quickly and easily, soda is something I will honestly never have again. Moderation is not kind to me... all or nothing... but not being a size 20 makes me not miss soda at all!

For me, it's the principle of the thing. Since my four month pre-sleeve diet (I am now 10 months out), I have resolved to not consume anything made in a factory. As much as is humanly possible, I give Miss Tummy foods closest to their natural state as I can tolerate: real butter, real eggs, meat and veggies baked, broiled, steamed, and fresh fruit.

My one vice is artificial sweetener which I have cut back by 80% at least. Where I used to consume probably 20 a day, I am down to just a couple a day in my morning tea. Recently I discovered Monk Fruit sweetener (all natural) at Aldi's. It gets the job done without the metallic aftertaste.

I have finally reached the point where I do not miss any of that stuff that made me fat and gave me heartburn. Even if I could have soda pop, I will go with milk, lemonade, ice tea and filtered Water......lots of filtered Water. Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, and Fresca, rest in peace.