Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding after surgery?

I have a 3 month old son and am currently breastfeeding. I'm wondering if I'll have any issues after surgery with Breastfeeding? Whether I'll lose my supply or there aren't enough nutrients in my body to supply for him? Also, it seems he doesn't like the Protein. He seems to throw up more when I have Protein Shakes. Anyone else have this issue?

The shock of surgery alone can cause an issue with your milk production. Unless you have one of those amazing recoveries that some people have, breastfeeding may be difficult after surgery.

If you are one of the people who really struggles with getting in and keeping down fluids, dehydration will also slow down or dry up production. If your baby can't handle Proteins very well, what is your plan for subsisting post-operatively when that's all you can have?

What was the feedback from your surgeon and nutritionist? Btw, congratulations on your baby and your decision to improve your life with WLS.

I am self pay and they have not required nutritionist appointments. The surgeon said it should be fine since there is fat already stored. I also asked the pediatrician and seemed to think it would be OK too. I have been pumping in preparation for the surgery. So I have a supply built up. But if production is no good after surgery, I will try and pump to bring it back up. If not, I'm not anti formula.

When my production slowed down I used fenugreek. I did have to take more than the suggested amount to jump start it though. I don't know if you're anti-medicine too, but Reglan can also help increase milk production. I can't tell you why it works, and it doesn't work for long, but I noticed a big difference with just taking one pill per day for 3 days. I hope things work out for you. =)

I am also still breastfeeding my 7 1/2 month old and plan to after surgery. I'm more worried about HOW I will manage holding him right out of surgery. IF my supply does drop I plan on using an SNS to supplement but to still nurse him (google lact-aid supplemental nursing system) I used an SNS when my son was a newborn still because he had weight issues so I'm familiar with it. I think it's something you should look into if you Aren't ready to stop nursing yet.

Edited by cryssyd3

I was told you cannot breastfeed after surgery because you cannot take in enough nutrition to sustain you.

Well...I'm hoping for the best and will try the fenugreek if I need to. As for holding son, the surgeon said he will be light enough to hold and if at first it's too hard, my husband can feed him and I'll pump.

Btw, I forgot to mention....fenugreek will make you smell like maple syrup!

I know this is an older thread. Have you all had surgery yet? I had the sleeve done on June 24th and have successfully continued nursing my 16 month old. I did some research before the surgery my primary care doc said it shouldn't be a problem at all. My nutritionist said to wean. Surgeon said to do whatever I wanted to do. There's some info with La Leche League International that says bypass moms can continue nursing so I figured a sleever would be fine. She's contentedly nursing to sleep as I type this. Positioning has been the only thing that's been super rough, but side lying and football hold have been best. I had a c section with her do I already know what it's like nursing after abdominal surgery. I try to get the Orgain Protein Shakes because they're organic. I like to watch what transfers from me to her. Most meds are safe to breastfeed on especially when your baby is older. They gave me Reglan in the hospital for stomach calming effects which I thought was ironic. You can look up MommyMeds app or Dr Thomas Hale's infant risk center for more info about medications and lactation.

I was on a blood thinner for a month and everything I read said not to. So better safe for me. My son was only 3 months old when I had surgery. Wish I had that website then

Just to follow up. I had my surgery on 12/2. Since then I've gone from 200lbs to 122lbs in 7 months. I was not on a blood thinner after surgery and I am STILL nursing my now 16 month old son. I did not need to supplement at all after my surgery and he is healthy as can be. So it IS possible!

Just to follow up. I had my surgery on 12/2. Since then I've gone from 200lbs to 122lbs in 7 months. I was not on a blood thinner after surgery and I am STILL nursing my now 16 month old son. I did not need to supplement at all after my surgery and he is healthy as can be. So it IS possible!

Thank you for this thread and your follow up. I was worried about this as well since my baby will only be 2.5 months old when I have my surgery. Did you take pain medication after surgery? How was your recovery if you don't mind me asking.

Honestly, you're not going to be able to do it. You won't be able to take in enough fluids to produce breast milk. Plus you're going to be on strong medications you won't be able to take in enough nutrition to sustain you and your baby so your body will stop supplying. I'm saying this as a La Lacha volunteer, breast feeder of five babies and sleeve patient. I hate that you'll have to choose but realistically, you'll have to. Or, get the surgery after you e weened your little one.

Just saw your update and I'm totally shocked and so happy for you! I've never seen that happen. I've worked with lots of nursing mothers and you are truly blessed! Yay for you.

Edited by Mandyctr

Honestly, you're not going to be able to do it. You won't be able to take in enough fluids to produce breast milk. Plus you're going to be on strong medications you won't be able to take in enough nutrition to sustain you and your baby so your body will stop supplying. I'm saying this as a La Lacha volunteer, breast feeder of five babies and sleeve patient. I hate that you'll have to choose but realistically, you'll have to. Or, get the surgery after you e weened your little one.

Just saw your update and I'm totally shocked and so happy for you! I've never seen that happen. I've worked with lots of nursing mothers and you are truly blessed! Yay for you.

Every person is obviously different. Do you practice medicine? Anything is possible if you want it bad enough.

As a la leche volunteer you should be encouraging people!

I'm saying this AS IM NURSING my 22.5 month old. I am 13 months post op and my son has always had amazing check ups with his pediatrician and our lactation consultant.

If you have to supplement, you supplement. But don't give up for no reason.

Edited by cryssyd3