Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Eli and I am 21 years old. I just wanted to share my amazing journey with everyone and hopefully help anyone that needs it. Since I was a young boy I struggled with weight loss. I put weight on and I took weight off and it didn't seem like I could ever get it right. Growing up, all of my friends were thin so they never understood what it was really like to be overweight, nobody actually understands unless they actually walk a mile in your shoes. I was miserable, depressed, and felt like there was nothing in the world that could help me. As a lineman for my high school football team I justified my extreme weight gain with the fact that I needed to be bigger to play my position and this mindset caused my weight to spiral out of control.

When I graduated high school in 2011 I weighed the most I ever did and it took a huge toll on me as I was about to go away to college and had literally no self-esteem. Jumping ahead to my sophomore year of college I had now put on even more weight and it was affecting me more then ever. My grades were slipping, it didn't seem like any girl would ever want to talk to me, and most of all it was hard to look at myself in the mirror. When I came home from school after my sophomore year I weighed about 320 pounds, which was by far the most I ever weighed. When I came home in May that year I just came to the realization of what I did to myself and I asked myself, "How did I let this happen?" Before I continue I want everyone to know that this is not a sob story and that there is a huge gleaming light at the end of that tunnel. When the conversation of weight loss surgery was brought up for the first time I honestly felt offended because I never thought that it would possibly come to that and after countless talks with family members and friends I finally agreed to schedule an appointment and the Center for Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss in Ridgewood, New Jersey in June of 2013.

Fast forward to September of that year I had completed all of my pre-surgery requirements and a date for surgery was scheduled. My surgery happened on November 4th at New York-Presbyterian in New York City. Let me tell you that November 4th, 2013 was the first day of the rest of my life. I'll save the details of pre-surgery, hospital stay, and post-surgery for another post. On the day of surgery I weighed 316 pounds having lost a little in the months prior to my surgery date. Now, in October of 2014 I am proud to say that I weigh 196 pounds putting my total weight loss at 120 pounds. My life has changed in the most extreme way, not just with how I physically look and feel, but mentally, I am a different person. I am the happiest I've been in my entire life.

I understand that there are countless reservations people have before making probably the hardest decision of your entire life, because for me it was, but I can also proudly say that it was the best decision I have made in my entire life. I understand that you might feel that there is no way out of being overweight, but I'm here to tell you that there is. I am willing to talk to anyone who has questions and I am always available because I understand how hard it is to make this decision. PLEASE don't hesitate to ask me anything. Thank you for listening to my journey and my story and I hope this might help anyone who is on the fence or anyone who is scared or nervous. Lastly, I'd like to say how amazing the last year of my life has been and I hope everyone can share the same happiness I do.

-Eli

post-238014-0-73073100-1413839127_thumb.jpg

Wow!! Congrats! You look fantastic! Im getting sleeved Dec 11th, I'm 22 currently. How long did it take for you to get back in the swing of things and recover? I heard anywhere from 1-3 weeks, but I'm thinking it may be sooner since I'm younger than most WLS patients. Also, did you have any problems you had to figure out socially after getting the sleeve? (Going out, alcohol, ect)

@@ai1992 Thank you so much and congratulations on making the decision to get sleeved! Recovery was generally pretty quick and easy! It took me about 2 weeks to totally feel like myself again, considering I was finally able to eat somewhat solid foods. The good news is though after about 2 or 3 days I was up and walking around my house and on day 4 I was actually at the mall! Socially, I have had little to no problems. Being a college student it was probably my biggest fear going into surgery but, don't worry! Everyone is different and every sleeve is different so as you go you will figure out exactly what you can and can't do. I go out on the weekends with no problems! I can gladly say that you have little to worry about. Again, congrats on making such a major decision and if you have any other questions just let me know. Good luck and get excited!

Thanks for sharing your story, Eli. You are a true inspiration! I had my surgery 10 days after you did - it has been an amazing year.

I admire your courage and strength at such a young age! Be proud of the fact you took control over your life and made changes. I wasn't as fortunate - I waited until I was 44 years old. I lost too much time. I'm making the most of it now, but my one regret is not doing this sooner.

You are an amazing young man! I wish you nothing but good things. Again, thanks for sharing your story.

Awesome! Cant wait til Nov 6 :)

Congratulations on your journey. Good luck in college and keep up the good work.

Wow what an inspiration...continue success in you're journey...

Thank you Eli for sharing. I have my surgery scheduled for November 10th. I am just like how you were. I am 21. 310. Played football and was a guard. So I always hid behind that to saying I needed to be thay size. Well college hit and I am a social person and never had any problems talking with people but I know everyone wouldn't want to stand around me becuase of my weight. Or even come up to me and I never could go out by myself. I always went out with friends who always had a great time. I have such a great support system and friends. I don't know why I kept it a secret that I was going to have surgery. I started my journey by myself. I was talking to a person who had it and how she wish she would have done it sooner. So I went through all my doctor appointments and scheduled my surgery before I told anyone. I told myself when I scheduled my surgery I would tell my friends. I started to tell them one by one. They were shocked and asked why. They said we love how you are. Do not change for us. I said I'm changing for me. To feel better about myself. But #1 my health. I'm 21 and on blood pressure medicine. Each time I go to my doctor he keeps uping my dosage. I love to travel and see the world and I don't want my health getting in my way of that. I got onto this forum becuase i started to doubt myself and my decision but it's scheduled and no going back. After reading your story I'm out of that rut and so happy about my decision. Thanks for being a inspiration!

Thank you for sharing and I admire you taking charge of your life at such a young age you have you whole life ahead of you and you will live it to the fullest.. Oh and you were and still are very handsome. Those ladies will be looking now ????. Best wishes on continued success.

Thank you Eli for sharing. I have my surgery scheduled for November 10th. I am just like how you were. I am 21. 310. Played football and was a guard. So I always hid behind that to saying I needed to be thay size. Well college hit and I am a social person and never had any problems talking with people but I know everyone wouldn't want to stand around me becuase of my weight. Or even come up to me and I never could go out by myself. I always went out with friends who always had a great time. I have such a great support system and friends. I don't know why I kept it a secret that I was going to have surgery. I started my journey by myself. I was talking to a person who had it and how she wish she would have done it sooner. So I went through all my doctor appointments and scheduled my surgery before I told anyone. I told myself when I scheduled my surgery I would tell my friends. I started to tell them one by one. They were shocked and asked why. They said we love how you are. Do not change for us. I said I'm changing for me. To feel better about myself. But #1 my health. I'm 21 and on blood pressure medicine. Each time I go to my doctor he keeps uping my dosage. I love to travel and see the world and I don't want my health getting in my way of that. I got onto this forum becuase i started to doubt myself and my decision but it's scheduled and no going back. After reading your story I'm out of that rut and so happy about my decision. Thanks for being a inspiration!

See this is what this forum is all about so great to see that Eli's journey has giving you the final answers you needed to changing your young life. Good for you and best wishes.

I know! I am ready for this next chapter in my life. There is only one thing I am scared about. That is....

I have never been skinny. I don't know what I look like skinny.

I'm not afraid of the surgery or diets or anything. I'm just scared of being skinny. I've always been the over weight or Teddy Bear as my friends call me. But that's all part of the journey.

I know! I am ready for this next chapter in my life. There is only one thing I am scared about. That is....

I have never been skinny. I don't know what I look like skinny.

I'm not afraid of the surgery or diets or anything. I'm just scared of being skinny. I've always been the over weight or Teddy Bear as my friends call me. But that's all part of the journey.

Thank you to Eli for the original post! Your story is changing the life of someone! How cool is that?

This forum is so wonderful for all the information and motivation it provides. Thank you to everyone who posts on here.I have been waiting for 2 years for my date and I FINALLY have one!! November 26th!

Reido2011, I feel the same as you! I have never been slim and it's scary. When I was talking to my doctor about a goal weight, I was like 180-190? And she literally laughed at me. She said think more 150-160, to me that seems so small. But then again I won't know until I get there!

Good luck everyone!

Sheena :-)

Great job Eli! I hope you don't think I'm a dirty old lady for saying this....but you are a HOTTIE! If I was only 21 again........