Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Actual Hair Loss - 9 months out with pics

Surgery was on February 4, 2014 and I began seeing high volume hair loss around month 4. This continued through approximately early in month 8th. I feel that it has slowed significantly at this point and in fact, am starting to see regrowth around the hairline.

Prior to surgery, I had long (below shoulder length) brown naturally curly hair - quite thick, certainly a defining characteristic. You could never see my scalp. When pulled back in a pony tail, I could fit a standard elastic twice around. At this point - I have about half the volume I once did and a standard pony tail elastic goes 4 to 5 times around.

I got my hair cut a few inches to try to maintain some volume and allow me to fluff the curls and do some hiding. In these attached photos, you can see that when I pull my hair back into a clip - there is a lot of scalp showing and overall thinness. I can improve this a bit by using some strands to cover through basic styling techniques. The third pic shows hair from behind after a good amount of styling to cover up bare spots- not too bad.

I use a Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner, try to stretch my hair color and root touch ups to 6-8 weeks (even though the gray comes in at the 4 week mark!) and take about 15,000-20,000 mcg of Biotin every day - have no idea if this is helping or not. Probably would have gotten this regrowth either way.

The new growth around the hairline is encouraging but problematic in that it makes for a very frizzy overall look. Not sure how the straight haired people deal with that.

Overall, I would rate the Hair loss annoyance as a 6 out of 10. Totally worth it - a side effect worth dealing with and one that will improve over time. However, certainly it is a distracting complication which makes me look older and less attractive.

post-202351-0-51558500-1413827296_thumb.jpg post-202351-0-01014500-1413827301_thumb.jpg post-202351-0-76798400-1413828617_thumb.jpg

PS - Did try to use Viviscal, but it never looked right. Always, felt like my hair looked 'painted' when I tried it.

I am happy to hear that your Hair loss is getting better. My hair loss got shockingly bad. I have always had a thick head of hair. Now it is so sparse that it is hard to hold in a ponytail. My scalp shows a good deal. I did not realize this would be such an extreme issue for me. Watch your high Biotin intake. I found that I developed bilateral numbness in my little fingers (ulnar nerve pattern) from taking only 2000mg/day. After I stopped taking it the numbness has decreased. Now if my hair would just start growing in again!

I have a very thick head of hair. At month 3, I started losing. Huge amounts. My hairdresser says not to worry, I still have MORE than enough hair. lol...I am almost at month 7 and it is still coming out. Not as bad as early on, but nevertheless, it is still falling out. I had hair that was to my bra line, not I have the A symmetrical cut. It is only about 3" long in the back and to my chin in the front. My hair is also VERY straight. It makes me appreciate all the years I bitched about having too much hair. I am hoping the loss slows down very very soon.

I used to have so much hair - really...like cray thick hair (lots per square inch).

My hair has all ready been thinning for the last year or so (hormones?).

But now I've been having A LOT of hair-loss for the past 3 weeks (much sooner than I expected). It's blocking the shower drain (big fur ball)...then when I comb my hair (wide tooth) I end up with a large pile collected in the sink before picking it up and throwing it away.

I've stopped blow drying my hair, and have been washing every other day (can't go longer than that). I always get my Protein in, and take my Multivitamins.

I really hope this doesn't go on for months, or I truly will go bald! :o

I heard from another person who had a surgery that they used Rogaine and it helped. I'm going to try it soon and I'll post in a few months about how successful it is

I have heard it is the worst between months 3-7.

oh my goodness I'm scared ... I already have very thin hair due to my thyroid and If I lose like whats been posted I'm going to be bald :-( .... I use Nioxin and I take my Biotin ... I need to get more Protein in though ... I'm 2 months post op

oh my goodness I'm scared ... I already have very thin hair due to my thyroid and If I lose like whats been posted I'm going to be bald :-( .... I use Nioxin and I take my Biotin ... I need to get more Protein in though ... I'm 2 months post op

I'm scared too! I had never heard of surgery causing Hair loss until I found this forum. This really worries me... :(

I truly think the hairloss thing is a crapshoot. It all depends on how your body (and mind) deals with the stress of surgery and weightloss and no amount of supplements will change this. I am 10 months out and had absolutely no Hair loss. The only thing I did was always get in 60+g Protein from day 5 on and I never stressed or worried about surgery, pre or postop diets, stalls, people knowing about my surgery, social events, etc. I take a whole food based Multivitamin, but never took extra Biotin or used any hair products like Rogaine. These things may help you regrow new hair, but I don't think they prevent the hairloss. I read too many posts about people losing hair despite taking all these supplements. That's why I never bothered.....if it's gonna happen its gonna happen.

Im 6 weeks post op and don't have much hair to loose to begin with. I'm post menopausal and my hair had already thinned out????

I'm getting 60-80 grams of Protein a day.

I've also been taking Biotin, but this only helps your existing hair be healthy from what I have read.

I've also starting using Rogane now twice a day. Hope to stimulate growth of already no so great scalp.

Any other recommendations are welcomed????

If I loose hair I'm just getting a wig. It'll still be worth loosing weight and getting healthy, as much as it will stink

I'm in the same boat with having not much hair to begin with, but a wig it is if it all falls out !

Has anyone heard of rubbing olive oil into your scalp before bedtime to stimulate growth? Someone told me about it recently but I haven't tried it.

Just read it......good information to have, thank you !