Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Not To Be Tricked by Halloween Treats

Halloween is right around the corner. It’s the opening event for the holiday season. This means it’s time to start planning your eating for the holidays. Successful patients alter their eating behavior in all areas of life, including holidays. One of the behavior changes involves changing traditions.

Halloween is right around the corner. It’s the opening event for the holiday season. This means it’s time to start planning your eating for the holidays. Successful patients alter their eating behavior in all areas of life, including holidays. One of the behavior changes involves changing traditions.

It’s tradition to offer candy to children on Halloween night. Can you avoid eating any of the leftover candy? Those little fun size candies can take 10 minutes or more of vigorous exercise like rowing or jumping jacks to burn off.

*One strategy many patients use is to hand out candy they don’t like to avoid eating it.

*Throw away any left-over candy once you realize the last Trick-or-Treater has left.

*Put the leftover candy in the big trash can that you set by the curb instead of the trash can in your kitchen.

Keep in mind it’s better to waste the candy than for it to end up around your waist! Think outside the usual box or bag of candy for treats. Think about Halloween themed party goodies like pencils, temporary tattoos, individual bottles of bubbles, stickers, glow sticks or creepy spider jewelry. You can find these in stores like Dollar Tree, Dollar Store and Party City. Check out the party sections of Walmart, Target, Hobby Lobby and Michaels. The online store, Oriental Trader, has dozens of non-candy ideas.

Remember to have items that kids under the age of 3 won’t choke on. If your tradition is going to a Halloween party, think through how you will deal with food and drinks at that party. Check the post-surgery diet phase to see what foods you are allowed and keep to that list. Have a healthy snack or dinner before going to the party. Sip Water during the party to keep you feeling fuller through the party. Focus on socializing, rather than eating. Bring a Protein Shake and pour over a cup of ice to sip through the party. Move away from the food table to avoid being tempted by all the goodies.

A new tradition can be avoiding that first party after surgery by treating yourself to something indulgent like curling up with a good book, taking a bubble bath, getting a message, scheduling a session with a personal trainer, taking a walk at the mall on Halloween night to window shop or pretend you aren’t home by turning out all the lights and watching a movie or a football game. Football games seem to be on every night right now. Even Friday night high school football games are streamed online these days. The holiday season can certainly be a time of trickery and temptation. Now is the time to plan how you will survive and thrive during the holiday season.

Left over candy? Where does one live to have such a night? LOL! We run thru huge bags in a couple of hours in our neighborhood and then have to turn off the lights and hang the obligatory "Out of candy" sign on the door.

Thanks for the tips!

I just put all the candy in a big bucket and leave it on the steps for Trick or Treater's to help themselves. When it's empty it's empty. I live on a dead end street set back from the road not very far but it has worked for me in the past and it avoids having those things in the house.

Now that we live in a condo, my hubby has no more excuses to buy bags of his favorite candy - which sadly is my favorite too! So I feel happily liberated from this particular temptation finally. Yay! As for that candy aisle in the grocery store - oh save me! I can't/don't even go down it!! No matter how badly I might think I need ziplock bags (same aisle) I"m just not going there. Sigh. Hang in there everyone.

It's been Halloween in our office for over a month now and to hard to just walk by everyday. Sleeve patients don't have as big a problem as gastric patients do, so I have kept Protein bars around me instead. I also don't gain weight from candy for some reason. I gain from starch.

Don't gain weight from candy - I want YOUR surgery - lol!

I have been buying McDonald Treat Coupons, you get 12 for $1.00 and they are good for a hamburger, milk, apple slices, and something else (can't remember now)...so IF I have any coupons left, I don't have to worry about it... I give them out at work for my co-workers kids, or send to my nieces and nephews...a no hassle treat...

Mom doesn't have to worry about the "candy factor" or choking etc... I LOVE giving out the coupons (tho kids may not understand it until they get home!)

Bring it to work the next day.