Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two kinda stupid questions

So, I'm having my procedure on 11/3 (in the north suburbs of Chicago) and I'm a control freak/over planner. Having said that, what kind of clothes should I plan to pack? Yoga pants, or jeans? And #2, is a delicate question...I've never been regular-like, I go 10 days without a bowel movement. So I'm sure scared that I may go even longer between bm's after surgery....sorry to be so candid, but if you can't ask here, where can you ask, right?! Thanks!!

Bring drawstring or loose waisted pants. Yoga pants might work if they do not dig in at the waist at all. You will also be wearing an abdominal binder underneath your shirt and pants, so lots of room will be needed.

I wore the largest pair of velour track suit pants I had. You will change into a gown as soon as you are there, so just plan to wear the same outfit home that you arrived in because it will still be clean when you leave.

After surgery (once you are home) you are usually allowed to use milk of magnesia or Miralax as needed. Things in that department will be odd/off for a while after your procedure. :P

An abdominal binder is definitely not always used, no one I know had one so you may or may not need one. Definitely loose yoga type pants. Something soft on your tummy. And yes would will use the hospital gown most of the time in the hospital.

Tall up your dr about the bowel issues. Some say stool softeners, some say miralax. Mine recommended starting Benefiber BEFORE surgery as soon as I could and continuing post op. Also prune wafers. You can find them in health food stores.

I was never instructed to wear an abdominal binder

@@woo woo Hi! Did you like your binder? I had 3 c sections and I wasn't offered one with my first but my last two I was and it was night and day compared to the pain and ease of getting in and out of bed and just getting around period! I was going to ask my surgeon on wen my surgery is in two weeks 11/3. Did the binder help you? I will defiantly buy one if the hospital doesn't supply one. I think it's the best thing on the planet lol! That and walking...at least with my c-sections! Would you recommend one?

I wore my favorite maxi dress to and from the hospital. It was a real pick me up to put on something that I felt good about wearing when I left the hospital. If you have something that is pretty as well as comfortable (no waistline), I definitely recommend it.

My Constipation raged for about three months after surgery. I absolutely had to use laxatives every week. But now, nearly five months out, I rarely need a laxative. So for me constipation was uncomfortable, but temporary.

My hospital gives out these bariatric pillows to hold against the stomach brace to help with getting up.

I also brought my phone and Kindle. Didn't read too much because that stupid morphine drip had me oblivious to most things, lol.

I brought warm fuzzy slippers too. I wore home the same clothes I wore to the hospital...over-sized tee and some comfy loose yoga pants, socks, sneaks and clean undies of course. Didn't bother with a bra.

I also got tips from some surgery Patients on what to pack a couple I never would have thought about like biotene mouth spray, dry mouth lozenges, a heating pad, exstention cord(small) for my iPad, phone, heating pad ect...chap stick, gas x thin strips. Eye mask and ear plugs...cleansing clothes. I am packed and ready to go! You may not need all that it's just the things I was recommended.

I was released the next day and wore loose, comfy clothing. Brought nothing.

I wore a waistless maxi dress (chic and cute).

Big advice on the pre-op bowel movement scene: Do NOT have surgery when you're already constipated! The anaesthetic and surgery trauma will make you doubly constipated. Don't combine those two horrors. :)

I wore a waistless maxi dress (chic and cute).

Big advice on the pre-op bowel movement scene: Do NOT have surgery when you're already constipated! The anaesthetic and surgery trauma will make you doubly constipated. Don't combine those two horrors. :)

Yes! I got my Water and dietary Fiber upped about a week prior and emptied myself out beforehand. I always had these problems with anesthesia & this time I prepared myself. I still had issues but not nearly as long as past.

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll pick up some Miralax tomorrow and see how it goes. I hadn't thought about Chapstick-great idea!

@@Elode 1000% YES on the binder.< /p>

The nurse and assistant came in with it once I was feeling lucid enough to stand up after surgery and getting back into my room. They strapped me right into it. It really made it possible for me to get up and down every hour to walk the floor all night which made me feel so much better.

It was a lifesaver and I used it for almost a full week, probably 4 to 5 days after I got home as well and it really helps with getting in and out of your bed at home (which is difficult for a the first few days at home).

Edited by woo woo

@@woo woo I figured it would be just as good for this surgery. I already checked out wal-mart yesterday but they did'nt have any so if my surgeon says they won't have one for me at the hospital I will go over to the medical supply store. I just know from experience that it was the greatest thing that I had....besides my babies of course!

My main incision is at my waistline so only bring something loose. It's easiest to wear a hospital gown there as you will have IVs, etc. but bring a robe and slippers for walking the floor. Other than that, a toothbrush/ paste, a comb, and whatever makeup you want. I promise you will mostly sleep. Good luck!