Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A couple questions - 2 weeks pre op.

Hello,

I had my gastric sleeve surgery exactly 15 days ago and at the moment I regret doing it. I've been sick to my stomach since I've been home from the hospital. I try and eat but usually end up just eating Breakfast and lunch and not eating the rest of the day because I feel so bad. I went to the doctor a week ago and they said this was all normal and not to worry.

So I guess my first question is how long does the nausea last? I go back to work Monday and I'd like to feel better by then.

I'm also having a really hard time getting all of my Protein. The shakes and the powder make me gag just thinking about them. I've been trying different shakes but I don't like any of them. Is there anything that people seem to really like Protein wise?

Another question is does Water make you feel sick? I try to sip on Water all day but it seems like it makes me nauseous as well. Is that normal?

I'm just having a really had time so far with mine and I want to know that it will get better. But how long does that take? I know it will be worth it in the long run but right now it doesn't seem that way.

Thank you for any help!

Your stomach is still swollen so getting everything in is going to take time. Sip all day to get your fluids in . Your pain meds might be making u nauseas that was my case . Or u may be dehydrated . Just sip and walk sip and walk. Each day should be better then the previous .

I don't like Water , I drank Vitamin water and sugarfree drinks

Look at what you're eating also, eggs were a go to for me before surgery but now I can't tolerate them. Stay hydrated also, try the Vitamin Water zero add-ins, you can make the flavor as strong or weak as you like.

I'm having a hard time getting my Protein in also. My doctor told me the first 2 weeks post op I am to focus on healing and hydrating. I stopped all pain meds on day 2 because I was so nauseous. I can't stand anything "sugar free", so my liquids are pretty much Water, some gatorade and I added unsweet iced tea yesterday and felt like I was in heaven!!! =) I'm definitely not getting in my 30 grams of Protein yet, but I'm trying.

Hang in there!!!!

Sorry you're having a rough time. It does slowly get better. No really!!! I was dealing with a tummy ache long after my surgery and it was determined that I developed an ulcer after surg.... Oh boy I have had many days that I felt weak and hit a 2 week stall and questioned if I made the right choice (absolutely 100% I knew I did) but I just didn't feel good. food was nasty I got tired of liquids and everything mushy...lol BUT, I pressed on and realized that I wasn't eating enough and once I got the meds for my ulcer and started feeling much better I started eating regular foods, but far less of it. Yes, I do watch my calories and Proteins, etc. Today I stepped on the scale and voila~ it moved down 3 lbs, so worth it!!! I'm am finding that there are things I use to like that I no longer like or have a taste for, and that freaked me out.. but it's a good thing because obviously the things I used to like are the things that probably got me in the shape I was in..lol I am 8 weeks post op and down 38lbs from the date of surgery (not including my pre-op weight loss). I am wearing clothes I couldn't fit and boy that is a great feeling... Sorry for the book, just wanted to let you know it will get better.. Hang in there!!!!

The only way I can drink plain Water is during or after a workout when I'm just dehydrated.

Other than that I add flavor drops to Water or I love a great iced tea.

I have not been able to drink the Protein drinks I had pre surgery at all. Even 4 months out. I immediately bought unflavored Protein Powder and add it to everything I can tolerate.

I now have a shake, I mix up the brands, and a bar every day.

It does get better. You have literally woken up from surgery with a new life. And as a baby in the process everything is new and different.

At least you see the light ahead making it all worthwhile. So keep going in what your doing!!! I think the most important thing is the hydration.

Good luck