Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared sad and discouraged

So, I went to my PCP yesterday and told her that I felt like I needed WLS and that I would like a referral to a bariatric doctor. She said she would give me a referral because it seems like I have done all I can to lose weight on my own.

After that she also made the comment that she's against WLS unless its the last resort and that she has a patient who got sleeved 5 years ago and is now eating through a feeding tube.

Im scared shitless, and I don't know if I want WLS anymore. I know I need it though. Im only 23 with high blood pressure and I weigh 412 pounds. Why would she try to Detour me??

My pcp would never help with meds or anything besides straight dieting. Watching my weight go up and tell me you just need to go on a diet. No crap. Lol.

All of the physician's I have seen through my pre-approval process have been nothing but supportive. I'm sorry you had this experience, but I would not let it deter you. If you haven't already, maybe you should go to a WLS seminar and attend the corresponding support group meeting(s) and talking/listening to people who have already had the surgery will help you to make up your mind.

As with any surgery there are risks. If you do your research you will find they are not too common as she described. Dont let her scare you. If need be find another pcp that will support you. Good luck.

Your PCP's comment was so wrong on so many levels I wouldn't even know where to start. But I definitely know how to find a new PCP.

Hard to believe it, but there are health care professionals who speak before they think. When I went in for cardio clearance, the nurse asked me "whatever happened to diet and exercise?" The doctor was much more supportive. He told me he fully supports WLS for me and if I begin to doubt the decision, ask myself the consequences of not having the surgery. I go in Monday to schedule a date. Good luck.

Criticizing fat people is the last acceptable form of discrimination. People have no trouble letting us know that we are fat and unacceptable. I encourage you to do your homework. Read all that you can so that you can make an informed decision. It would seem that once we get to a weight we feel is no longer manageable is when we need help the most. Sad to say, that rather than pity and judgement, people don't get that we need encouragement.

I am so thankful that all of my encounters with the medical profession have been extremely positive in regards to my planned WLS. My GYN told me that so few people are willing to do what it takes to take back their health. Then told me that she was proud of me for being willing to fight for mine.

Hard to believe it, but there are health care professionals who speak before they think. When I went in for cardio clearance, the nurse asked me "whatever happened to diet and exercise?" The doctor was much more supportive. He told me he fully supports WLS for me and if I begin to doubt the decision, ask myself the consequences of not having the surgery. I go in Monday to schedule a date. Good luck.

Tell her all the WLS patients you know ARE exercising and watching their diets very carefully!!

Hello Everyone,

My surgery was in 2006 and I lost over 100 lbs. I need to get back on track as I gained some weight back. What worked for others?

PAW

It is sad to know their are physicians out there that continue to be unsupportive when it comes to weight loss surgery. Thankfully I have had nothing but a supportive team when it came to making my my decision. I am so sorry to hear that others continue to get such poor advice . Please make sure you take the time to go to a reputable center of excellence class and learn about your options before letting someone scare you into making the wrong decision for you personally. I did a lot of research before making my decision to have gastric bypass surgery and I am only 3 weeks post op, and already I know that it is the best decision I could have made for myself. Educate yourself, gift yourself that gift.

Your pre-op time is a chance to research and determine for sure whether or not this is for you.

Having been a nurse for years I can tell you that most surgeries like this go very well, but that sometimes even great surgeons have complications. Our bodies are all different and respond differently. Unexpected things happen. I've seen several posts from people here having exceptional challenges. They share them so that we have a realistic sense of what can and does happen.

I tend to look out how they are doing a ways out from surgery. In the midst of complications, they may wish they had not had surgery.... but how do they feel a year out if there are more posts? There is a lovely woman in my local support group who experienced a ulcer and subsequent leak. She was rushed back to the hospital and felt like she was dying before things go turned around. It was awful. But now she sits there normal sized and healthy. Living proof that things can get bumpy, but still turn out well.

Even though this surgery is now done without a huge open incision, it's still a major surgery and worth thought and research.

For myself, I felt that with my obesity, the onset of diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure.... the risks of remaining how I was constituted a greater risk than the surgery. The more I learned... from the info class to personal research to discussions with professionals at my bariatric center.... the more sure I was that this was right for me. I gave myself inner permission to back out at any time before the actual surgery, but by the time surgery came my family surrounded me in celebration rather than in concern. Enthusiasm is contagious.

I've only just begun (3 weeks post op), but I'm still sure it was right. I may yet have more issues than getting used to solid foods again. But it was worth it and right for me.

Like others suggested, start learning. Nothing is set in stone until surgery. There are plenty of opportunities to be sure. Don't do surgery unless you are sure.

My primary doc was an ass about the surgery. I took it upon myself to seek help from a bariatric doc. I also explained to my doctor that it was inhumane to keep me from ALL of my health options, since all I wanted to do was to better my life.

My bariatric doc said that losing weight by yourself (no matter how hard you try) is often unsuccessful. You may lose up to 10% of your body weight and hit a rock solid plateau that will not relent. That is the reality. The odds of keeping off large amounts of weight loss without surgery is not always in our favor.

This is NOT an easy choice though. You will diet, exercise, and take supplements your entire life. No exceptions. We will now be eating to live instead of living to eat. The lifestyle change is so core altering that people separate and divorce over this decision.

My best advice: Do your research, get a doctor and group who supports you and stick with it. It's like AA, only food is our drug.

Im 27 years old and was at 261 when my doctor referred me for WLS, She was all for it and even went over all the positives of getting WLS! Sorry to hear your bad experience. Consider getting a second opinion! Best of Luck