Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what to take to the hospital?

I was in hospital for 2 days and seriously the only thing I needed was my own pillow :)

Two things I was glad I had was Biotene mouthwash and a small soft travel pillow. After surgery my mouth was so dry and the mouthwash was a lifesaver. It's a mouth moisturizing mouthwash. Also, the small pillow was so helpful to brace against my stomach, it made walking so much easier. Matter of fact I used that pillow at home for the first week or so.

Giant pants! you don't want your rear showing to everyone on the hospital floor or in your room when you try and stand up for the first time. I ordered a pair of pajama pants from Roaman's about 2 sizes larger than I normally would so they would slide up and not press on my tummy. I lived in them for the first week or so at home. Easy to get on yourself under the sheets if you need to. Plus I was cold!

Take Gas-x strips and chapstick too. The hospital may not want to give or have the gas-x and you will likely have severe gas pain when you wake up.

I always found it strange that a bariatric ward would only have standard size gowns for their patients. They usually let you have two, front and back, but you'd think they'd plan a bit better.

Have a kindle or an iPad? Also, I brought some kind of lip balm. I brought the Gas-x too but actually didn't use it. The gas pains I had were all in my chest, not my stomach or intestines, so the nurses told me it wouldn't work for the gas pains in my chest. That also encouraged me to walk ALOT so who knows ;-) and lastly, I would recommend a small pillow too, especially if you have allergies and might be sneezing. Hold it against your stomach when you cough or sneeze and it helps with the pain. Finally, I had a pillow for the tide home for that reason with bumps and for the seatbelt not to be pressed tightly against my stomach on the way home.

Lots of luck!!

Robe & slippers if you'll be staying overnight

Chapstick

Gas-X strips or chewables

small pillow

iPad or tablet if you have one

Your own toothbrush(the ones from the hospital suck!lol)

Chapstick, and a bottle of cool, not cold Water for the ride home. Speaking of home, I couldn't stand the boxed or canned chicken broths. Way too salty, even the low salt ones. Instead I drank the broth from Campbells chicken noodle Soup or vegetable beef. Not too salty, and I was able to get my liquids down. Good luck to you !!!

I brought my iPad & charger, a toothbrush and a pair of extra large panties to wear home. My hospital stay was very pleasant. I had a private room and my gown was more than large enough for privacy. The hospital provided slippers and a duffle bag to carry my belongings in. I wore a loose fitting maxi dress to the hospital and wore the same thing home. I didn't have any problems with gas and had minimal pain. I didn't use the pain pump or need anything for gas.

I took way too much stuff to the hospital that I didn't need. For clothes, all I needed was the stuff I wore there and a clean pair of undies. Two hospital gowns worked great for gown & robe and the slipper socks they provided were easy to just keep on so I didn't have to bend over to put house slippers on.

I took my phone, tablet and charger and that was nice to be able to have some good distractions since daytime TV stinks! I also took some Biotene spray - much easier than the mouthwash - and that was a lifesaver! I took Gas-X strips but as others have said, the gas pains aren't that kind of gas and I was also afraid my new tummy might not be able to handle them right away so I didn't use them. I took my own CPAP machine and was grateful for that. I didn't want to have to deal with something unfamiliar for that.

The time went by pretty fast. I dozed a lot and before I knew it, it was time to go home. I hate to admit I totally forgot about brushing my hair or teeth while I was there! I certainly didn't need my whole toiletry bag.