Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asking all you post sleevers: What do you wish you had known or done before surgery?

Yes, measure.. eat and enjoy pooping because after the first week it will not come as easily as it has your entire life!! I know TMI, but it happens :)

Just a FYI, I have been taking my Protein (34 Grams in a scoop) to herbal life and having them add it to the Cookies and cream shakes, OMG they are delicious and they also give me extra calories (which I need at this point) and also extra Protein and they taste amazing, they also have helped with BM's. Myfitness pal is my best friend and has helped me tremendously . I would highly recommend this app. I'm 11 weeks post op and I finally feel like myself again. Just curious can you see my tickler on this post?

bodyweight.png?ts=1413325398

The shake is Vitasport protein 7 , you can buy it at nutri shops, it is fairly new but has the highest grams of protein 34grams in one scoop.

Edited by SarahSmile

pictures and measurements to document your journey in detail.

I wish I had known how tired I was going to be for many weeks after the surgery and organised my life better to give me some slack. I thought a week or two after I would be fine

I should have done the emotional work earlier ; the first time I was really stressed, I felt like I was going to explode. Then after the event I started looking for help; I would suggest that you find someone as soon as possible.

Because this is not a bypass, I was amazed that I could, if I chose, eat all sorts of rubbish ( ice cream, crisps ( sorry chips for my transatlantic friends), wine, cake whilst struggling to eat a small portion of healthy lean meat. You have to decide absolutely not to go there.

Good luck.

I'm 4 weeks post op and being addicted to good is so damn hard now! I can have solids now but a few bites is so hard when it tastes so good!! Very important to not drink before your meal during and after follow those steps that they give. I have found myself to have taken a sip of Water after I eat and just because I was used to it. when your stomach is full the water brings your food back up so you're not like throwing it up but it's just coming up with a burp. Don't rush yourself I did that a few times and felt like crap I know it sucks to follow the steps but they are there for a reason good luck!!

Just a FYI, I have been taking my Protein (34 Grams in a scoop) to herbal life and having them add it to the Cookies and cream shakes, OMG they are delicious and they also give me extra calories (which I need at this point) and also extra Protein and they taste amazing, they also have helped with BM's. Myfitness pal is my best friend and has helped me tremendously . I would highly recommend this app. I'm 11 weeks post op and I finally feel like myself again. Just curious can you see my tickler on this post?

Sarah Smile,

What protein do you use at 34G ?

and yes you can see your ticker !!!!

I was sleeved on 10/6. I have been very lucky with minimal difficulties. I went back to work 10/14 both jobs. My weight has not moved in about 2 days, but I was prepared for that. The number one thing I wished there was more on was informed of the emotions. Monday I had a minor breakdown, couldn't stop crying. No one could reason with me or nothing. I finally went to the track and walked, by myself, 1 mile

then felt better. Today at my job I started crying and had to walk away.

I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS GOING TO BE SO PAINFUL. I mentioned this to the nurses right after surgery and they said almost all bariatric patients say that.

I wished I had planned for more time off work. I was off the week of surgery. The following week I worked from home and this week I am back in the office. Honestly I need one more week I think to be feeling good enough to be back at work. I'm having severe nausea and it is a real struggle to get ready for work each morning. I have started sleeping upright in a recliner with a neck pillow to hold my head up and that seems to be helping with the nausea. But again, I wished I had more time off to let my body rest and heal.

3Pugaliers have you talked to your doctor about the nausea? They should be able to prescribe some anti-nausea meds for you. Hope you feel better soon.

Summer

I am glad I was told that the gas would be painful after surgery and to try to walk to release it. I think that having that knowledge is the only thing that saved me. The nurses sure didn't encourage me to walk. But the gas was so painful in my back and shoulders that walking finally got me to burping. So WALK WALK!!

Wish I wouldn't of bought so much Jello and pudding! lol after surgery it was too sweet and I couldn't stand it.

I had a easy recovery but don't be suprised at about 2 weeks out you freak because you aren't getting in enough fluids and it feels like a job to get them in. Try to stay off of work for 3 weeks if possible. I went back 10 days after surgery and felt great but was real overwelmed with doing my job and getting fluids in every hour!

Edited by Lacowgirl72

Hmmmm, Like lacowgirl I wish I hadn't stocked up so much on Jello and pudding. Who knew that a pudding cup would last me 2 servings??!! I'm also in agreement with the others that said don't stock up on Protein drinks because my favorite Protein Drink tasted gross to me after surgery. By the way, it is again my favorite but it took a few months for me to try it again. I wish I had known that adding a little something to my Water would help me get it down better. It seems that plain Water sat heavy on my tummy but just a little flavoring of any kind seemed to help with this (won't bore you with theories of the surface tension of water etc) but it did help me a lot. I wish I had a before picture. I wish someone would have told me that the Iron supplement they gave me in the hospital would turn my poop BLACK. Yikes....should warn a girl. And I wish someone would have told me that you CAN get constipated when you are only taking in fluids...who knew. I will NEVER let that happen again. not fun.

Good luck to you! Look forward to hearing more from you.

3Pugaliers have you talked to your doctor about the nausea? They should be able to prescribe some anti-nausea meds for you. Hope you feel better soon.

Summer

Yes I have been taking a nausea prescription every 4 hours but sleeping upright has seemed to help more than the meds. I am feeling a little better each day though. Thanks!!

@@SarahSmile to answer your question, yes we can see your ticker