Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian/vegan sleevers?

Hi! My surgery is the 30th and I'm just wondering if anyone is vegetarian or vegan altho I eat chicken I hope to become vegan soon. Help?

I was vegan for four years but went vegetarian again three weeks ago. I haven't had meat in over 8 years at this point. I have yet to talk to my doctor at length about WLS though...my appointment to do so is also on the 30th!

I also would like to go vegan. I am just trying to heal right now but hope that with newfound energy, motivation, and habits, I can make the change.

I also would like to go vegan. I am just trying to heal right now but hope that with newfound energy, motivation, and habits, I can make the change.

Yeah its hard I've been only eating chicken for 2 months no dark meat and expecially no fast food (the stuff in fast food is not real food gross) but with getting sleeved I feel like I won't get my proper nutrition. I don't know though

I, too, am vegetarian and meeting soon w/the surgeon re WLS (hopefully). Other folks out there -- can you be vegetarian and do WLS? Thanks for the insights--

I think kinda you can be.

I'm looking into being vegan now that I'm vegetarian but I asked my NUT and she said I need to at least squeeze in eggs fish and milk.

Thanks Aribay1, I can do eggs and Lactaid milk (lactose intolerance), and I can probably do tuna -- I did a Protein sparing modified fast dr-supervised program for a year and a half -- and after all that meat, MEAT, MEAT, I just can't even look at meat any more --

Thanks Aribay1, I can do eggs and Lactaid milk (lactose intolerance), and I can probably do tuna -- I did a Protein sparing modified fast dr-supervised program for a year and a half -- and after all that meat, MEAT, MEAT, I just can't even look at meat any more --

Haha I'm lactose intolerant too) I can't look at meat I've eaten meat on and off for 2 years and fully commited to eating none at all for 2 months. I don't eat fish or eggs so It's something I have to reintroduce into my diet

Thanks guys for the post. I am aiming to be vegan. I can not stand dairy, or soy. I do not like eggs. Right now I am drinking 60grams of whey Protein. I am not sure where to begin. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Melanie

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years - I eat fish and dairy though. (my vegetarianism had to do with animal cruelty so it's only wild caught fish and free roam dairy.) After seeing the documentary Forks Over Knives (highly recommend it!) I was ready to go totally vegan. But my doc explained that while I could indeed get Protein from Beans, for instance, the amount of Beans and the number of calories it would take to equal the same Protein in fish was much much more. Therefore, she thought weight loss was goal number one and I could go vegan after I reached my goal.

So, since I got my sleeve (July, 2014) I have had to make a big effort to get more protein. I drink 2 powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes a day mixed with almond milk and sometimes add a Protein Bar. Of course, I eat a ton of fish for dinner and often tuna or salmon salad at lunch. Overall I am supposed to be getting 75-95 grams a day and so far I have had no problem at all. I also bought some Unjury Protein powder and add it to Soup or veggie smoothies to up my count. If I need a few more grams, I'll make my shake with skim milk instead.

I was always given funny looks when I told someone I was a vegetarian. Not too many 300 pound vegetarians out there! LOL! But I am proof that we're all not pixie sized hippies, not by a long-shot! Looking forward to someone looking at me and thinking "of course" when they find out I'm vegan. :)

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years - I eat fish and dairy though. (my vegetarianism had to do with animal cruelty so it's only wild caught fish and free roam dairy.) After seeing the documentary Forks Over Knives (highly recommend it!) I was ready to go totally vegan. But my doc explained that while I could indeed get Protein from Beans, for instance, the amount of Beans and the number of calories it would take to equal the same Protein in fish was much much more. Therefore, she thought weight loss was goal number one and I could go vegan after I reached my goal.

So, since I got my sleeve (July, 2014) I have had to make a big effort to get more protein. I drink 2 powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes a day mixed with almond milk and sometimes add a Protein Bar. Of course, I eat a ton of fish for dinner and often tuna or salmon salad at lunch. Overall I am supposed to be getting 75-95 grams a day and so far I have had no problem at all. I also bought some Unjury Protein powder and add it to Soup or veggie smoothies to up my count. If I need a few more grams, I'll make my shake with skim milk instead.

I was always given funny looks when I told someone I was a vegetarian. Not too many 300 pound vegetarians out there! LOL! But I am proof that we're all not pixie sized hippies, not by a long-shot! Looking forward to someone looking at me and thinking "of course" when they find out I'm vegan. :)

Yeah I get looks too haha.

I dint eat fish really just never been a fan. I ate chicken but slowed it down since it's the animal that Is treated a bit harsher then the others I hope to also get use to this diet and become vegan.

I eat mostly vegan but have added in dairy (grass feed yogurt & Protein shakes) and at some point in think I'll eat eggs two. I eat meat mostly only when I eat pho. Vegetable pho just doesn't do it for me. I plan on being mostly 90% vegan when I hit goal.

I was a vegetarian but I ate a lot of junk. I eat meat and ate a lot of junk. I would love to try again now that I know more about nutrition. Lets all start a group

I am 7 weeks and finding that meat is really kind of repulsive to me now. But I am eating dairy and eggs. Peas, Beans, and nuts taste so good. I hope to go vegetarian after I lose more weight, then hopefully vegan when close to goal .