Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Freak Out About Surgery on the Day Of?

So my surgery was scheduled for last Friday.

I panicked, freaked out, cried, and then bailed on the whole thing. I am now rescheduling for sometime next week (21st or 24th, TBD). I made the decision to have the surgery based on a lot of calm, logical thought and research, over almost two years, and I made the decision to run screaming from the hospital based on 5 minutes of totally irrational panic.

Anectdotally, it seems that freaking out before surgery isn't super uncommon (tho most ppl still go through with it).

My question to you is, did you freak out before you had your surgery? To what extent? Or were you cool as a cucumber ready to roll?

Thanks!

YES! LOL. I got into an argument with the fellow that was assisting my doctor (but we talked afterwards and made up :))

Then, I asked so many questions that the anesthesiologist chided me for taking up so much time (which I ignored).

Almost jumped off the operating table when they wheeled me into the surgery suite...scary equipment and bright lights everywhere. But I made myself stay and after they shot the medicine into my IV, I was out like a light and it was too late to run!

I don't regret it all and am very glad I stayed. Good luck to you!!

What was the shot in your belly for?

The night before surgery, I had thoughts of backing out. We went on a drive and we were in an area of Las Vegas that had a bunch of restaurants. As we were driving by I kept thinking, "Won't be able to have that ever again." "I'll never eat another Dunkin Donut" things like that. I felt sad but I didn't know why.

The morning of surgery, in admitting, I almost bailed completely. I was scared, anxious, nervous. I thought, "I can walk out of here right now and only be out $500." I was seriously close...Then I looked over at my husband. He didn't say anything, we really didn't even make eye contact, I just looked at him and felt a calm come over me. At that moment I decided to have the surgery - it was my choice at that moment and I felt empowered. I confidently walked down the hallway and began the pre-op process.

Once I had the surgery and was about a month or 6 weeks out, I thought back to that moment of sadness I felt when we were driving...I think that was me mourning food for the first time. I now know that I was not emotionally prepared for this process (my only regret was not working on my emotional issues prior to surgery) - while I was recovering from surgery, I had to work thru my emotional stuff...that's difficult to do.

I think it's perfectly normal to feel great anxiety about this - there are risks of complications and so many other unknowns like, "will this work for me?" This is one of the biggest decisions any of will make in our lives. It's a life changer.

I was so excited I was practically skipping the whole way to the hospital. My friend who took me asked if I remembered I was having surgery that day. So many months of preparation and waiting...I couldn't wait to reap the rewards.

And I still regret nothing! :)

I'm usually a worry wart but I was so calm. I had no nerves. My husband on the other hand was a nervous wreck especially since we went to Mexico for it. He was worried about protecting me. When we got here realized, I wouldn't need "protection". And then talking to the doctors, he calmed down a lot. Both of us can't get over the excellent care I have received here. Even told me if I need plastic surgery, we should come back.

I'm usually a worry wart but I was so calm. I had no nerves. My husband on the other hand was a nervous wreck especially since we went to Mexico for it. He was worried about protecting me. When we got here realized, I wouldn't need "protection". And then talking to the doctors, he calmed down a lot. Both of us can't get over the excellent care I have received here. Even told me if I need plastic surgery, we should come back.

Yeah, I don't know why Mexico has such a bad rap. I've been to Tijuana twice for surgery (separate surgeons and separate clinics) and both times I was treated incredibly well and received excellent care. I had no concerns for my safety at any point and enjoyed walking around (though I didn't get to do enough either time, since i was recovering from surgery). But for some reason, it does seem to fill loved ones with dread when they hear you're going to Mexico for surgery, like they expect you're going to be murdered or have your organs stolen or something.

I am scared to death of surgery, so naturally was freaking out the night before and also on the day. As I was paying my admission fee to the staff I looked at my husband and said" I don't want to do this now", he laughed at me, looked me in the eye and said "yes you do". He knew that it had been a two year research journey for me to pick the surgery that was right for me and that this was all I wanted to do and he was right.

Just try and relax, tell the doctors before you go to surgery you need a strong calming drug pre-surgery, they should give you something.

You will not regret it once you are done. It's the best decision I've ever made for myself, I am 10days post op and feel great. Sure, I know I will not be able to eat a full meal from KFC again, but I will be able to have a little bit and enjoy the taste and not over eat, which is how I got here in the first place. You will be able to have a donut again, just not a full one.

A couple of days after surgery should see you feeling pretty much normal, maybe a little sore, but you should be walking on air and pleased that you went through with it.

Don't let the fear overcome you, it's an emotion you can control with your mind, focus on the end result as you prepare for surgery and all the wonderful things that will be ahead if you. You can do this, mind over matter. Looking forward to hearing about your recovery!

Ha ha ha! I went to Juarez by myself and there were so many patients rolling around and so many hospital staff working with me - that in the holding room I suddenly became afraid that they would mix me up with somebody else and do the wrong surgery or something. Must've been the drugs they gave me talking when I loudly blurted out to the entire room of staff and patients, "Hey! Everybody here knows I'm having a sleeve, right?" They all looked at me like I had three heads. I maintained that last minute anxiety until they wheeled me under the lights. I remember thinking, "Wow. Those are bright............." And I was out. Woke up what seemed 5 minutes later (was about 90) to the nurse getting me up to walk. :-)

I was alone and freaked out, too. I talked non-stop to anyone and everyone. My nurse and I talked like old friends. She was very sweet and helped me keep my mind off being scared. I thought about walking out several times but knew it was my last hope. I don't want to endure what my dear mother went through. Believe me, I am glad I did it in spite of any down side you can name. And don't worry, I think you will be able to eat your favorite foods again in time... Only you will no longer be a food addict. Here's to our health and happiness!

Edited by JCP

Since my sleeve was my 12th surgery, I was not concerned at all with the "what ifs". But it was the first time I voluntarily had surgery to sacrifice 80% of a vital organ. Folks who are unsure about the surgery should go to the search box at the top of this page and type in "last straw" , and then click on the little arrow for a drop down menu. Click on "forums" and then enter. You will find several threads on the many reasons why we have decided to follow through with weight loss surgery.

When you get to the hospital, just keep in mind that you will get an IV so that they can give you meds and fluids. Accept any relaxers the staff wants to give you. It will help you to mellow out so that you won't even care about your fears. You will take a little nap, and then a nurse will wake you up and tell you that they are all done and you did great. This is called "Better living through chemistry". ;) Good luck, and expect the best result possible with a textbook recovery. You are about to get a new birthday.

I was as cool as the other side of the pillow..... 5 weeks out. I am down a total of 46lbs or so. wonderful life changing surgery....

don't delay, start your new life today

Omg I was freaking... Especially once I got into the operation room...it got terribly real then lol. But I just kept telling myself that I'll be asleep and I'll wake up in no time all finished. I think some caution is healthy, it's major surgery and life changing.

I seriously considered making a break for it, IV, hospital gown and all. I threatened it and everything.

On a more serious note, the only way I made it threw was by detaching myself from the situation. I'm not really proud of it but I knew if I thought about it at all I'd leave and never go through with it. So that was my way of beating the fear.

Well I am in freak out mode too. I have my sleeve scheduled 11/4/14. I have my pre-op testing this Thursday. I don't have a lot of support because I have only told a few people. I lied at work and said that I had to have part of my stomach removed due to an abscess. I did that because I am embarrassed. My husband is proud that I am doing this but I am really scared. I don't know if I am more scared of the surgery or the fact that I won't be able to eat the foods that I love. For a long time I have used food as comfort. I am a very picky eater and am terrified that I won't be able to find foods that I like while following the diet. I am tired of being the "big girl" and want to make my children proud. Now I just have to suck it up and "do this". Has anyone else felt this way prior to surgery?

Yes. We have the same story. Mine is tomorrow 10/23.

I had my freakout moment about an hour before surgery as I was sitting in prep waiting for my doctor. It was even more difficult because my family isn't close by and I didn't want them flying out here so I was alone. Fortunately I had a wonderful pre op nurse who put me at ease. Then they gave me happy juice in my IV, and I woke up in recovery feeling ok. That was yesterday. Today I feel really good, and I can't wait to go home. Freaking out is ok. I went through my Facebook page and looked at all the horrible photos of me, and that brought me back to why I was there. It helped.