Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yummy now--No Way before WLS

What do you really like now that shocks you, because before WLS it was NOT a food you liked or ate unless you had to for a diet?

Mine:

Celery

Vinaigrette instead of creamy ranch

Soup and salad on a menu instead of a burger

Hummus

Drinking Water

I'd say cauliflower. Before WLS I ate it but the flavor was benign. Now, I've learned to mash it, flavor it with garlic, cut it up into steakettes and use it in place of noodles. Sort of cauliflower helper? :P

Raw vegetables ( Celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper)

Cooked carrots, cauliflower, and/or broccoli

Hummus

Greek Yogurt

Protein bars (Quest bars are my favorite)

Sweet Potatoes

Squash(I love all the different varieties of squash now but would've never eaten any of it pre-band)

Ranch dressing ( Pre-band I always ate honey french)

Almonds

Whole grain crackers(I don't eat them very often but was recently encouraged by my surgeon to start adding a few carbs back into my diet so the crackers can now come out when the tuna does :) )

I think it's also interesting to consider what I DON'T eat anymore. I DON'T eat these things:

bread

Pasta

chips

And things like Cookies, cake, candy, crackers and fried foods are RARE treats for me. And I've found that, as I try these rare treats for the first time in more than a year, most of them don't taste as good as I think they're going to and I have now added a lot of those items to the "I don't really care for those things so much anymore" list.

I have an egg almost daily now and enjoy them done differently etc. cant remember actually wanting to eat egg before (unless maybe it was french toast lol, but bread is something I avoid more than anything now).

Soups. The only Soup i really liked before was sweet corn chicken chinese take out style, which I rarely have anymore because I prefer healthier lighter alternatives. Tomato Soup became my best friend in the liquid stage after the band and I still have it at least once a week 3 years later. Most days I experiment with different soup recipes with veggie or chicken broth bases, something i wouldnt have gone for before.

Sometimes I miss eating crunchy veggies, i used to like snacking on baby carrots and celery sticks (when i wasnt snacking on chips and Cookies that is! Lol) without worrying if id chewed enough to avoid them getting stuck, i still have them now but finely chopped/grated/steamed.

Water instead of diet coke. I really couldn't understand people that drank water all the time

Fried egg.......I used to like scrambled but my band likes a fried egg instead.

This is really going to sound funny because I work in a Deli but I didn't eat any type of chicken for about 20 years and when My 31 yr. old was younger & in grade school I fixed tuna for a year everyday because that's all he would eat for lunch , but for me it was chicken ,tuna and I had to have something besides Water but now I don't mind having water, or chicken as long as it's not breaded and I don't eat any seafood except for tuna once in a while but I have to fix it my way or I won't eat it, and I love water wit or without flavoring.

I now like lentils, split peas and garbanzo Beans. Really didn't used to eat them much. Who knew our tastes would change?

In my case Water and wet food...sauces I use to like my food dry, now I have to have some kind of sauce or gravy. Also Beans, before they use to upset my stomach now I can eat them every day.

What my body dislike now, that it use to be my favorite foods:

Pasta

pizza

Semi cooked vegetables:broccoli, cauliflower, carrots (now I have to over cook them, make them really soft)

Lettuce

Egg, the only way I can eat egg is boiled and then smashed with mayo. If I eat eggs any other way I will be vomiting the whole day.

@@Kathytej I can definitely understand the dislikes. I used to love this herbed bread at my favorite restaurant. I had some yesterday and suffered from a bloated gassy gut the rest of the day and much of last night. I guess I'm done with that.