Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Progress 1 year

So, I am just past the 1 year mark.

To be honest, I feel disappointed in my progress. I have a friend that had surgery 2 weeks after me and she met her goal prior to the 1 year mark. I look at the before and after pictures people post and am amazed at how much some people have lost in 9 months. I am still 50lbs from my goal. I have only lost 13 lbs in the last 6 months. I can see a visible difference in pictures, but in the mirror I still feel fat.

I try to remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. But I just can't help but feel disappointed. Weight loss has been really difficult for me for many years with nothing really working. I am really happy that I am down 74 lbs and feel so much more alive!

I had wanted to reach my goal at 1 year, so I could get pregnant after reaching goal.

Anyone else have a huge slowdown? Am I the only one that didn't lose everything in the first 9 months?

Edited by Kristina Mccarthy-Martin

What WLS surgery did you have ? I ask because I am at the same weight you were before surgery and we have the same height.

75lbs is a lot of weight though. You have made great progress.

I cannot relate but you look great girlfriend. You really do and should be very happy about how much you lost. It will just a little more time to get there. Patience. You will get there.

I was told by my doctor that the average weight loss for Gastric Sleeve is 50 to 60% of excess body weight and that's about 50 to 60 pounds. You did above average with 74 lbs lost. You are doing great. So the next few lbs are going to take a little more effort but you are still doing amazing. Always remember it's not about perfection but about a significant improvement.

I didn't hit my initial goal until I was 20 months out. Some people hit goal in a year. MANY people don't. What you DID DO is lose 75lbs and that is awesome! Put your eye back on that prize and rock out that next 50lbs!

According to this calculator, someone with your stats only has a 50/50 chance of losing 88 or more pounds in 12 months. With a 75 pounds loss, you aren't far off from that, so it seems to me that you are doing right about average. No reason to be sad at all!

https://www.realize.com/do-i-qualify/potential-results/comparison

So, I am just past the 1 year mark.

To be honest, I feel disappointed in my progress. I have a friend that had surgery 2 weeks after me and she met her goal prior to the 1 year mark. I look at the before and after pictures people post and am amazed at how much some people have lost in 9 months. I am still 50lbs from my goal. I have only lost 13 lbs in the last 6 months. I can see a visible difference in pictures, but in the mirror I still feel fat.

I try to remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. But I just can't help but feel disappointed. Weight loss has been really difficult for me for many years with nothing really working. I am really happy that I am down 74 lbs and feel so much more alive!

I had wanted to reach my goal at 1 year, so I could get pregnant after reaching goal.

Anyone else have a huge slowdown? Am I the only one that didn't lose everything in the first 9 months?

I just posted a thread about this so I am glad to see you mention it as well.

I thnk you need to be proud of how you are doing!! remember, the sleeve is a tool, not magic! you didn't gain it overnight, you wont lose it over night. I think you need to not worry about how others are doing, as long as you are healthier today than you were yesterday you are moving in the right direction! well done!!

also, you might want to reconsider trying to be like you were at age 16, that is way to much pressure for yourself!! we are ALL DIFFERENT than we were at 16!! striving for that body again is setting yourself up for failure. just be YOUR BEST SELF FOR TODAY!! good job and good luck!!! :)

I never know what to say in response to threads like this one, since there's no way to know how compliant the OP was post-op.

I feel your pain. I have lost 70 pounds which is great but I have 40 to go. I had surgery 10 months ago. I know I could do some things better but can't help but to compare myself to others. Sometimes it seems as though everyone else will reach their goal but me :,(.

Thanks for the support everyone!

I'm sure there are things I could have done better, as I know I never drink enough Water. I do exercise 3x a week and try to eat on plan 99% of the time.

It is hard to not compare yourself to others and their progress. I go for my 1 year appointment this afternoon, so I will get another body fat analysis done.

I plan on plugging along until I reach my goal of 140lbs or 20% body fat.

Although some may think my goal of looking like I did at 16 is unattainable or ridiculous, it is last time I was at a healthy weight. I thought I was fat then, but I was actually healthy and fit, which is my true goal for the weight loss.

Good luck to everyone on your life long journey, as I know we will probably continue to fight this battle for the rest of our lives.

Best to you, Kristina. :)

I am betting you reach your goal. :)

Went for my 1 year appointment yesterday. Good news is that I actually lost 19lbs since my 6 month appointment. And all 19lbs were fat and I have maintained my lean body mass :) Encouragement to keep exercising as it is actually coming off in a haelthy manner!

Went for my 1 year appointment yesterday. Good news is that I actually lost 19lbs since my 6 month appointment. And all 19lbs were fat and I have maintained my lean body mass :) Encouragement to keep exercising as it is actually coming off in a haelthy manner!

That muscle mass is gold in the bank - keeping it intact helps keep your metabolism up!

YAY for the weight loss!