Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some experienced weight losers

I am undergoing the same thing not far from you. I have qualified for the surgery through a ton of hard work. But its the mental game that had to change, like you said. I told, and keep telling myself, that doing it my way for the first 45 years of my life hasn't worked out that well. So clearly trying something else is the answer. I deferred to their expertise.

Flaxseed, that's what is helpful about the lapband. Because you have it periodically filled, the times between you create new eating behaviors. Things I ate before, binge foods, I can walk right past them and never give them a thought, really. If we could give up food or the thoughts of food on our own, no need for the surgery. Once my band was filled properly, I can pass up pretty much everything, and not even notice all the crap foods while grocery shopping. Good luck to you, whatever your choice or decision becomes.

one of the previous posters mentioned that she realized she wouldn't die from being hungry. this helped me too a lot, and here's how i found it out: i had to do Clear liquids only before my endoscopy/colonoscopy for 24 hrs. i was HUNGRY, but i survived. and i even felt GOOD afterwards.

so my suggestion is: pick a day that isn't going to be stressful, maybe one where you will be at home, and have a day of just liquids. it will help you prove to yourself that you can do this. it will make you feel lighter, and you will lose a little weight. and after that, you can refer back to the feeling of hunger urging you to eat and remember that you don't HAVE to eat just because you're hungry.

just a thought.

Hello Flaxseed:

number 1: scrap that health care program. It will be a min of 5 years before you see any type of surgery ( and you don't get to choose the surgery).

I live in Canada as well, went to the Alberta Weight management program. After the 2 hour seminar it was very clear that they believe weight loss surgery will not work. They firmly believe that our weight problems are in our head and that we choose not to have self control. I'll bet these people have never been more than 5 lbs overweight a day in their life.

I took matters into my own hands. I had the band installed by smart shape in Mississauga (good group of people, lots of support) at the end of Jan 2014.

My friend went to Mexico and had the sleeve in March 2014. (my friend's family doctor told her to go for it in mexico, health care cannot be denied in Canada if you have an issue later on in life)

We have both been successful, both of us are now down 90 lbs

Family doctors in Alberta have very limited knowledge on WLS. Mine was skeptical, now he is just thrilled about my weight loss.

both diets are the same for the band and the sleeve. small portions, Protein first etc Get the big book on the band or sleeve to help you along

I am guessing that you are like the rest of us, been on every diet known to man, with limited or zero success. I believe once you get to a certain weight-no amount of yo-yo dieting will help. You will not be able to stick to it.

WLS will not make you lose all the weight, but it will help you get the control you need and with a little determination on your part it will work!

Good luck in your journey.

Thank you for explaining this. This was very helpful in terms of specifics so people can pass this on others.

Hello Flaxseed:

number 1: scrap that health care program. It will be a min of 5 years before you see any type of surgery ( and you don't get to choose the surgery).

I live in Canada as well, went to the Alberta Weight management program. After the 2 hour seminar it was very clear that they believe weight loss surgery will not work. They firmly believe that our weight problems are in our head and that we choose not to have self control. I'll bet these people have never been more than 5 lbs overweight a day in their life.

I took matters into my own hands. I had the band installed by smart shape in Mississauga (good group of people, lots of support) at the end of Jan 2014.

My friend went to Mexico and had the sleeve in March 2014. (my friend's family doctor told her to go for it in mexico, health care cannot be denied in Canada if you have an issue later on in life)

We have both been successful, both of us are now down 90 lbs

Family doctors in Alberta have very limited knowledge on WLS. Mine was skeptical, now he is just thrilled about my weight loss.

both diets are the same for the band and the sleeve. small portions, Protein first etc Get the big book on the band or sleeve to help you along

I am guessing that you are like the rest of us, been on every diet known to man, with limited or zero success. I believe once you get to a certain weight-no amount of yo-yo dieting will help. You will not be able to stick to it.

WLS will not make you lose all the weight, but it will help you get the control you need and with a little determination on your part it will work!

Good luck in your journey.

The process I have had to follow requires weight loss of some degree and absolutely no gain. It is a year long or more process dependent upon how fast you wish to go. There are two month classes on nutrition, two group classes only offered once a month or two months. Meetings with nutritionist and social worker as well as a sleep study. You must keep a food and exercise journal for the duration. I finally got to the end of the process and saw the surgeon only to find that there are no dates available until January which means I have just that much more time to have to monitor my every bite. Great-NOT!

The process I have had to follow requires weight loss of some degree and absolutely no gain. It is a year long or more process dependent upon how fast you wish to go. There are two month classes on nutrition, two group classes only offered once a month or two months. Meetings with nutritionist and social worker as well as a sleep study. You must keep a food and exercise journal for the duration. I finally got to the end of the process and saw the surgeon only to find that there are no dates available until January which means I have just that much more time to have to monitor my every bite. Great-NOT!

I didn't get it under control. I went INSANE before surgery and binged like crazy. I think I gained 15lbs even... Good luck to you. The surgery is awesome.

We are being told here in US that canada has a perfect socialized medical program. Could we just be getting propaganda. 2-3 years ti get surgery is way too long. God help us with this obamacare!!!

We are being told here in US that canada has a perfect socialized medical program. Could we just be getting propaganda. 2-3 years ti get surgery is way too long. God help us with this obamacare!!!

If you can't afford self-pay, a 2-3 year wait is better than NEVER, which is what I would get from my insurance here in the States. Luckily I was able to afford to self-pay.

Where in canada? I'm in alberta and was about 9 months from referral to surgery. And yes I did get to choose my surgery type. They don't do the band here. Just bypass and sleeve.

Edited by jacileggs

I really am fed up with this Canadian program and I am not willing to wait for 1 or 2 more years for the surgery! I am tired of jumping hoops and want to go somewhere that is very good and pay for my own surgery. Please give me any advice on where you have gone for your surgery and how was your experience and how is your health today? I need your help everyone please guide me!! TIA

Hi - I am in Canada too and was banded 10 years ago in BC. I needed that time pre-op to prepare myself emotionally to change my life and eating habits. I saw a psychiatrist before and all during my weight loss which was invaluable. My process involved saying goodbye to my self abuse and my best friend, food. I learned so much about myself, something I had avoided. One of the positive things about the Band was that when I had a perfect Fill it shut off my brain-stomach signals and the feeling of being hungry all the time.

You may want to try Overeaters Anonymous as another support system to help you prepare. Take your time, be gentle with yourself and trust that the process or hoops you have to jump through are put in place to help you be successful!

All the very best to you!

How much time did you need pre-op? I am looking at 2 1/2 to 3 years and I am not willing to wait that long to gain control of my life by jumping through all of the hoops.