Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sense of taste - Definitely not something I was warned about

Everything tastes bad to me, even Water. I am now thinking this might be permanent. This article does not inspire confidence. This is very concerning to me. I'm glad to be losing weight but I wonder if I am going to have to gag down food for the rest of my life just to get proper nutrition. Would I have done this had I known? NO.

I am one month out.

http://bariatrictimes.com/taste-changes-after-bariatric-surgery-what-to-do-when-your-patients-cannot-stand-the-taste-of-their-food/

I haven't had this issue permanently, but I HAVE read accounts on these forums of people whose tastes changed right out of surgery, but did go back to normal eventually. So don't give up hope just yet. It may not be a permanent change for you. And even if it is, I think it's a matter of figuring out which things taste good to you now. Hopefully not everything will taste horrible!

I hope you are right, Jamie! So far, literally everything tastes bad. I'm trying to be positive but it's getting to me and making me worry that this will be the way it is going forward. I hope not.

I hope you are right, Jamie! So far, literally everything tastes bad. I'm trying to be positive but it's getting to me and making me worry that this will be the way it is going forward. I hope not.

What kinds of things have you had to eat so far? You are a month out, which means you are only a week or two behind me, so I assume you can have mushies and purees at this point? I was (still am really) having a lot of soft cheeses, scrambled eggs, greek yogurt, Peanut Butter, tuna salad (made with flavored sandwhich spreads), Wendy's chili (once i was allowed ground meats and legumes), hummus on half a whole grain mini pita (once i was allowed soft whole grains), and, of course, Protein shakes at a month out.

My sense of taste is just fine. No problems here!

JCP, you're such a post-op newb at this point--about a month out.

Why would you assume your first month's experiences presage what your future will be?

Everything else changes--what you can eat, how you feel, how much you can exercise, how much Water you can drink at one time, what you will weigh.

My own tastes have changed tremendously in 7-1/2 weeks. I expect your tastes will also change, as so many others' have

Buck up.

I have heard this believe it or not.... Try not to eat from a stainless steel utensil for a plastic one. Someone I know had surgery on his bladder and noticed food tasted different. His wife gave him plastic and noticed the difference. I am not there yet but it's worth a try? Let me if it works?

Ann, the Nut (who has worked for my surgeon for years) told me that the taste thing is not understood and that for some people, it is short-lived. For some, it is long-lived and perhaps permanent. Yes, it's better than being obese and the plus side is anything sweet is nauseating to me, at least for now. We'll see... Really hoping it is temporary.

I'm almost two years out. My taste changed dramatically after surgery, but returned to almost normal after several months. For example, Pasta tastes awful (thankfully!). My sense of smell amplified greatly too, but it's leveled off..still more sensitive than before surgery, though.

I'm experiencing this right now on a big level. Sixteen days post-op...

Suddenly, Protein drinks I like just five of six days ago I am having a very hard time tolerating. At first I wasn't getting enough Protein, and the unjury

chicken Soup was my savior...

I loved the flavor, was able to easily do 60+ grams a day. Now, I'm struggling. I'm suddenly far more aware of a nasty aftertaste nearly all these whey Protein Drinks carry, and I'm gagging on most of it. The chicken Soup, too. Even UNFLAVORED is detectable.

I'm trying hard to find ways around it. Cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, all this stuff is hard to get down right now. My new favorite is Campbell's Split Pea soup, diluted a bit more than suggested, with a LITTLE bit of unflavored protein added in.

I was told to expect some taste changes, but I didn't expect things to be changing mid-week. That part sucks.

Edited by aSleeveStory

I'm in the middle of week 4 and now nothing tastes good to me. I'm trying to choke a little down. Last week was better than this week. I went up 1/2 lb and have stayed there since week 3 began. Even the Protein shakes don't taste good. I've avoided all carbs as my plan really only has the carbs listed of legumes and oatmeal. To top it off Monday was my first day back in the office. I was full of energy, then yesterday and today, I feel like someone beat me with the sleepy stick and I feel bloated and can't find something to eat. Nothing even sounds good to me (other than sleep).

This is slowly getting better. Fortunately, anything sweet still tastes horrible and meat also tastes bad. Hope those both are permanent! What seems to really taste good is anything fresh. I took a small bite of spinach salad (I know, not really on my food program right now) this weekend and it was just bursting with wonderful flavor. I also ate some fresh lima Beans and they were delicious. I guess it is temporary (yay) and that it is going to be a matter of experimentation. If more fresh foods taste great, then I am thrilled about that!