Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date set- Instantly terrified!

I'm not sure what it is, I got my phone call to schedule about 45 minutes ago. Then I instantly became terrified and super nervous. Surgery is not until November 6. Please tell me that I'm not the only one whose first emotion wasn't excitement. I've had excitement throughout this entire process but it got sooooo real today.

Don't get me wrong. I am so beyond excited about the outcome but reading some things on here, Iron deficiency, bones becoming brittle has me worried again. I know that if I take my Vitamins religiously that I should be fine and obviously the potential risks outweigh the potential heart attack/stroke/diabetes which is in my very near future I'm sure. Just would like to hear I'm not the only one who is panicking a bit lol.

It also doesn't help that I've woken up in the middle of a procedure which requires anesthesia the last three time I had it, they were all dental surgeries (wisdom teeth, extraction of a tooth that a previous dentist did a root canal on and messed up resulting in severe infection and the bone graft after the extraction done by two different oral surgeons) obviously it's going to be very different and probably different anesthesia and of course I will talk to the anesthesiologist but understandably I'm still scared. Thanks guys! This is such a big change that I'm pretty sure this is normal...

First let me say Congrats on making this decision to better your life! And second, Wow! If I had woken up during 3 procedures that I was not supposed to be awake for, I would be nervous too. Definitely speak to your surgeon and anesthetist about your past experience, so they can e you answers and knowledge to ease your mind. Then you can let go of that fear, and embrace your journey! I was a bit nervous myself without the bad experiences, but I kept my faith and all turned out well. The first few weeks were rougher than I expected, but I tried to go back to work too early. Just do what the doctor says...and don't rush your recovery. Good luck.

Thanks!!! I was planning to try to go to work after 2-3 weeks but they don't have "light duty" so it will just depend on work and the surgeon.

First of all, congrats on your upcoming date. So yeah, I was more excited at first.. more like 'well its about time' because I was getting impatient with the exhaustive pre-op checklist. But the morning of surgery, as I was being wheeled into pre-op, that's when it hit me. I was like 'what in the hell am I doing here!' and 'I'm not sick, do I really need this?'. A moment later, the anesthesiologist came in to give me my "cocktail", and the next thing I knew I was waking up in post-op! Best gift I've ever given myself. Good luck to you!

Me Too!!!!! I am becoming more and more anxious as 10/22 approaches. I even became confused as to what surgery to get. I was set on the sleeve and now I'm not so sure!

Best of luck to you!!!!

Thanks guys! I'm more calm now. I'm sure I'll continue to ride the emotional roller coaster between now and the 6th. I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing this. I think I just wasn't expecting to schedule so fast! Insurance was just approved yesterday afternoon!

I decided on rny because my BFF just had her band removed today. It made her really sick. Then I thought about the sleeve but I worried about heart burn/acid reflux since I already have it. I didn't want to end up having to do a revision. So I said go big or go home lol. Just talk to your dr. There are people that argue for and against all forms. The hard part is determining what's best for YOU! Good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime. Maybe we can support each other's craziness! Haha!!

I was the same way! Really excited and then I got the phone call with my surgery date (10/29) and instant freak out! You are not alone!

Congratulations! I'm set for November 4. I was told 2 weeks ago that I was done with the dr supervised weight loss when I was expecting another month. It was a huge shock. I felt the same way. Heck I still feel that way.

It's good to see others feeling this way! I mean it sucks but it feels like the only thing I was seeing were the excited posts lol.

Oh I am excited. But I thought I had another month to mentally prepare for the procedure. It's life changing in so many ways. To have it move a month closer and that I was done with the hurdles was a shock to my system I guess. It made me realize that something I have wanted for years was actually going to happen. I'm sure everyone is different. But for some it's like bungie jumping off a bridge. You really want to do it. Get all prepped. Then you see the drop and say what if the line snaps. But you just jump anyways. After it's over you say I why did I not do that jump sooner. There's nothing to be afraid of.

No, I am super excited all the way. All will go well and I will have nothing but happy moments .

Good thing you can't see my nose grow online.

The only thing I know beyond a shadow of a doubt is I am so ready for my new life, the status quo is impossible to tolerate for another second.

I am finally excited. Still scared but not feeling the, "OMG, what have I done." Haha. I'm ready to start my new life. I just needed to remind myself why I'm doing this and realize how I would feel in six months if I didn't have the surgery. It was pretty clear to me after that. :)

It's funny I had laproscopic surgery years ago where the pain and nauseau were so bad when I woke up . This past March I had major surgery, cut from belly button down (bariatric surgery put on hold). Amazing enough I wasn't nervous for that surgery. Then I was finally approved for bariatric surgery on September 24th. I still can't believe I wasn't nervous about that surgery either. The worst part for me was just before surgery they had a hard time finding a vein for the IV, tried several places in my left and my right. Ended in my right arm which I am not a fan of, Then they take my blood pressure after all of this ( I was told at pre-op testing my blood pressure couldn't be high or they could cancel surgery). Amazing enough my blood pressure was low, 110/68. I also had to wear these thigh high compression tights, worse thing ever to put on. I couldn't believe I had no pain this time, not in the hospital, not when I got home. I did not take any pain meds. Once you are called into surgery and they give you the IV, the medication relaxes you. I just remember the long ride to the OR room and on the table in the OR room. I think I was out in about three minutes.

If you get sick from anesthesia, which is usually from the pain meds, ask for an anti nausea patch, works really well.

I had a similar reaction when I received my phone call. I have been on this journey since December 2014 and now it's finally here. When the nurse said "How does November 18th work for you?" I was like "UUuuuhhhhh, Uuummmmmmmm". She finally said "Well, I don't want to push you into it!" LOL. We had a good laugh after that and then the deal was done, date scheduled. Still nervous but so exciting at the same time!

I've been driving myself and everyone else around me crazy trying to learn all I can and to have a plan in place for Protein, shakes, whatnot, etc. but I'm wondering if one day at a time wouldn't work better? It's pretty confusing trying to know what to do when you won't really know what will work for you until you are there and experiencing it.

I think what you are feeling is normal. I felt the same. Try to think on how awesome you will feel being lighter. It is such a natural high that will keep on going. I love it