Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workout bruises.. Not clumsiness?!

Hi, ive been working out regularly, main workout is on a cross training elliptical machine 3-4 times a week, doing 7-10 miles in 45mins to an hour with interval intensity. I warm up and cool down, stay hydrated during and after.. Take daily vitamins.. So Im really confused and not sure what Im doing wrong but lately the morning after my (mostly evenings) workout sessions I have found bumpy bruises on my arms, hands and legs/thighs. Some of them have been a couple inches wide but also smaller ones with tiny pebble-like bumps underneath.. Is that common for people who workout regularly? Is it just broken capillaries (sp?) or burst blood vessels or something more serious to look into? Thanks so much for any input, reassurance or freak-outs welcome!

Forgot to add, im 100% sure im not bumping into stuff clumsily or kickboxing in my sleep hehe.. Thanks

Sounds... weird. It seems like I bruise a bit easier now that I have less padding but nothing like you describe and I've been doing an hour on a stationary bike +upper body strength training and crunches for the last 9 months. Check with your doc. You may need to get blood work done to check your levels for Iron, etc.

Funny you wrote this...I too noticed "bumps" under my skin after working out. ( only notice on my arms) They don't bruise unless I mess with them. ( First time I noticed it I kept rubbing over them, then the next day I had several bruises) I have to mention I am on blood thinners ( just switched to Xarelto from Warfarin) due to DVTs in my leg resulting in pulmonary embolism. (twice) I thought these bumps had something to do with my clotting issues/ blood thinners, but now I am a bit more intrigued. They feel small, pea sized or smaller mostly. I have felt them on the outer part of my upper arm as well as the inside of my lower arm...I would be very interested to see if anyone else has had similar experience.

Outer part of my upper arms.......thought it was cellulite. Hmmmmmmmm.

Sounds... weird. It seems like I bruise a bit easier now that I have less padding but nothing like you describe and I've been doing an hour on a stationary bike +upper body strength training and crunches for the last 9 months. Check with your doc. You may need to get blood work done to check your levels for Iron, etc.

Thanks for the feedback bikrchk, yea sounds like some blood tests might be in order, just in case. I have been low on iron in the past so who knows.

Funny you wrote this...I too noticed "bumps" under my skin after working out. ( only notice on my arms) They don't bruise unless I mess with them. ( First time I noticed it I kept rubbing over them, then the next day I had several bruises) I have to mention I am on blood thinners ( just switched to Xarelto from Warfarin) due to DVTs in my leg resulting in pulmonary embolism. (twice) I thought these bumps had something to do with my clotting issues/ blood thinners, but now I am a bit more intrigued. They feel small, pea sized or smaller mostly. I have felt them on the outer part of my upper arm as well as the inside of my lower arm...I would be very interested to see if anyone else has had similar experience.

I was going to describe them exactly as "pea sized but smaller"! Ive been on blood thinners before after an emergency c section but not as regular medication, I also have experienced bleeding issues and subsequently low Iron levels so im wondering if that is a connection there... But i guess my main worry is if it is a problem with blood clots/embolism or some other weirdness going on in blood vessels..i had severe bells palsy early this year so im a little apprehensive.. But intrigued to learn more for curiosity's sake too! Thanks so much for sharing, and i hope we discover more about the mysterious peas! Lol :-)

Outer part of my upper arms.......thought it was cellulite. Hmmmmmmmm.

Hmmm the mystery continues! :-)

When you work out you are essentially ripping or tearing your muscles. Breaking them down to build them back stronger. If you think about how that sounds having a bruise or a bump is not so unusual. Think of all the "bumps" that body builders have on their bodies :)

The thing is that you should not really be seeing those at the surface as a bruise. I can understand the person who said they are on blood thinners having this happen as the muscle heals occasionally but as a rule it should not happen all the time.

I would definitely agree with going in for some blood work to be sure that nothing is deficient or in need of remedy. As you continue your work outs always try to have some Protein and Vitamin C after to help promote healing and building of the muscles. Adding in the Vitamin C and other essential amino acids help to reduce the lactic acid build up in the muscles which can be the cause of soreness and some lumps and bumps as well. You can read about DOMS.

Don't let any of this discourage your work outs, but defiantly check with your doctors for any deficiency that might be going on and the right supplements to take.

When you work out you are essentially ripping or tearing your muscles. Breaking them down to build them back stronger. If you think about how that sounds having a bruise or a bump is not so unusual. Think of all the "bumps" that body builders have on their bodies :)

The thing is that you should not really be seeing those at the surface as a bruise. I can understand the person who said they are on blood thinners having this happen as the muscle heals occasionally but as a rule it should not happen all the time.

I would definitely agree with going in for some blood work to be sure that nothing is deficient or in need of remedy. As you continue your work outs always try to have some Protein and Vitamin C after to help promote healing and building of the muscles. Adding in the Vitamin C and other essential amino acids help to reduce the lactic acid build up in the muscles which can be the cause of soreness and some lumps and bumps as well. You can read about DOMS.

Don't let any of this discourage your work outs, but defiantly check with your doctors for any deficiency that might be going on and the right supplements to take.

Thank you so much for that explanation and advice! I really appreciate it, will read up on DOMS (sounds kinky lol.. Sorry couldnt resist) and will revise my supplements after the bloodwork.

Definitely not getting discouraged.. I have pea-sized body builder bumps haha! :-D thanks again!

Yeah, that does sound weird and uncommon, a little scary

:) DOMS stands for Delayed onset Muscle Soreness.

You can read about it here: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/sore-muscles-dont-stop-exercising

The first time I worked out with a trainer for my fitness assessment I could not walk for a week! Trying to sit and stand was horrible. I had bruises on my legs I know where not there before but they were very small and faint. After about 2 weeks...and my next work out it was so much better!

Now I don't let it push me that far, I'm not out to prove anything just trying to get healthy and feel good. No pain no gain I get it..but I'm trying to lose not gain anyway :)

I can handle a little soreness from a good work out but not bruises like I battled a bus!

@@lisacaron hehe thats sweet of you to clarify what doms to look for, i did head straight to webmd for that :-p

Yea i get a little sore when i get into the zone and push myself but these bruises seem to be random (as in not in places obviously connected to soreness). I definitely dont mind pushing myself but like you say not to the extent of looking like im being pushed around by a bully lol :-)

Yeah, that does sound weird and uncommon, a little scary

Like i said reassurances AND freakouts welcomed so thanks for that haha :-D

Double post kill

Edited by F_it