Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band vs gastric sleeve

I am attending a seminar on Saturday to learn more on each of them. But I want to know what made you choose one over the other? And those that have been banded and are now having a revision to sleeve why? Cant make up my mind.

Well everyone's choice needs to be a personal one, because we all have our own issues and interests. For me, I chose sleeve for many reasons.

1) It's permanent. A lot of people see this as a negative, but I felt it was a positive. It meant less likelihood of additional surgeries later on.

2) It's low maintenance. With a band I would have to go back for fills and such.

3) I didn't like the idea of a fill port just under my skin. It weirded me out. I also was worried that as I lost weight it would protrude, like a bone.

4) I read a lot about slippage or erosion. I really didn't want to have to go back and have additional surgeries or potentially do permanent damage to my stomach or esophagus (you know, aside from the whole having 80% of my stomach chopped off).

Like I said, everyone has their own journey. Sleeve isn't ideal for people who have chronic GERD. Some people are terrified at the notion of having so much of a vital organ permanently removed from their body. Some people like the additional control of lap-band, being able to adjust the fill as needed years down the road to accommodate your changing needs. There are so many things to factor into your decision and only you know how important each one is to you.

I chose the sleeve over band for a few reasons - these are my personal opinions, worth what you paid for them, and not meant as a bash on the band, I am not a Doctor nor do I play one on TV:

1) The band is a mechanism, manmade, it can break. My cousin had the band and it helped to her lose 100 lbs, but then it broke. She revised to Gastric By Pass (RNY).

2) I also thought that having a port, that you can feel under your skin and needing to go for adjustments was too creepy for me.

3) It is adjustable - you can have the saline removed, this may be a positive to some, but to me that was a free ticket to quits-ville.

4) It is reversible, done with the new lifestyle? Have it removed - again free ticket to quits-ville.

5) Restrictions on what you can eat - with Sleeve once you are healed there are no dietary restrictions in terms of stringy vegetables or dry goods.

Some people look at the sleeve and say it seems so extreme, it is not reversible, you will have 85% of your stomach removed, that is so scary! But those are the things that appealed to me. It is just me in there, just less of my stomach, I can't decide that I want my restriction decreased, I can't decide that I want to eat "normally" again, and beleive me I know I needed the finality of this surgery.

I have lost 64 lbs as this post, I feel great, I can walk again, I can be active again, I am getting rid of most of my clothes as they are now too big for me, I can keep this up, my sleeve gives me the tools I need to be succesful.

There you go - my thoughts - and 100% discount from the normal 2 cent price :-D

What made me choose was my lifestyle and my level of discpline. I decided on the gastric sleeve because I knew I would not consistently get the fills and I felt like it would allow me to cheat (just being honest) furthermore I did not want to leave work or take time off to get fills. Not saying the band is bad but consider how you live and your lifestyle. I also wanted something more permanent I was nervous about the band slipping or me having to get it removed. Knock on would I'm happy the decision I made I have had my sleeve almost 2 years and I have followed my doctors rules and have kept my weight off ... Good luck

Wow all such good responses to the band vs sleeve. I too have elected to do the sleeve. I have a sister who lost a lot of weight on the band, had Tummy Tuck, boob lift, face done...and has gained most back! Just can't see a needle going into my port as they call it, whew just can't imagine it.

I chose the sleeve because I did not want my digestive system rerouted, and I did not want a port.

I really only considered the sleeve. The band just seems to have too much potential for issues (and the surgeons at my hospital really prefer not to do them because of the issues). I liked the idea of having something permanent that did not reroute my insides or effect digestion. I don't like idea of malabsorption for another 30 plus years. So for me the sleeve was the best choice.

Thank you everyone! Now for another question. My husband and I have always enjoyed going out to dinner (go figure right) but we love to go and enjoy each other without kids. I know I will need a huge lifestyle diet change but will I be able to enjoy different foods at some point. Just lots of left overs? Seems so silly but I dont want to give up everything entirely.

I am choosing the sleeve because I have a friend that has the band and hers has a leak in it and now has to be removed. My doctor also said that the company that makes the lap band has sold their company because of all the problems people were having with them and having to take them out. I myself want something more permanent. Of course this is my personal opinion. Hope this helps.????

Thank you everyone! Now for another question. My husband and I have always enjoyed going out to dinner (go figure right) but we love to go and enjoy each other without kids. I know I will need a huge lifestyle diet change but will I be able to enjoy different foods at some point. Just lots of left overs? Seems so silly but I dont want to give up everything entirely.

I'm only 5 weeks post op and I've already been out to eat several times. You can always find things to eat, you just can't eat very much. I've had lobster bisque, scrambled egg with feta cheese, and cheese enchiladas with refried Beans, and chili so far on my various out-to-eat excursions. It will be even easier once I'm allowed solid foods starting this weekend!

Thank you. That helps! I know it will be different but I just dont want to be giving up things I still would like to enjoy doing.

I have no issues going out to eat. Just know that 2/3rds of it is going to be boxed up. Think of all the money you will save on lunch the next day at work - you can have leftovers for three days. LOL! Once I was back on general diet, I was able to eat whatever I felt like at a restaurant. When I was first sleeved I stuck to things like Soups at restaurants just because I didn't know how my stomach was going to react to things and Soup was always pretty safe.

I know a couple people that had the band. One had major complications!! I based my decision on that! I'm in the medical field and I have personally seen better results from patients that have had the sleeve or by pass. Again, this is from MY observations only!!!

I was a major eat out before surgery and still am. It requires a change in lifestyle and choices not social life

Example late Saturday me and hubby date night at biggies. 6 raw clams

I had 3. And then for entree I ordered jumbo shrimp cocktail. It comes with 5. I managed 3. Done.

I am now a cheap date. Or leftovers

Are you familiar with yelp? Have been a yelp elite for over 3 years and I intend to keep my status!

Just make better menu choices

By the way I had a sleeve