Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bernstein diet after weight loss surgery?

I lost quite a bit of weight on the Dr. Bernstein diet (offered mainly in Canada) a year ago, but like so many extreme diets I quickly gained it all back after stopping. It's very expensive unfortunately. And unless you have a tiny stomach it seems like an impossible diet to do forever no matter how much money you have.

The Dr. B diet is basically a very low carb diet with "special" B12 Vitamin shots you get 3 times per week. I thought now that I've gone through the program and have all the materials that I could duplicate the diet at home after my surgery. From what I've read the B Vitamin shots they give could come in handy if I could afford to go again. But some people (not having done WLS) just take the sublingual B12 and say they have good success that way. Several people on this forum mentioned that B12 doesn't absorb well after gastric bypass so injections I guess could be a plus.

I have not had my surgery yet which should be a Roux N-Y or gastric bypass. I've read that you really should try to max out your first year honeymoon period for as much weight loss as you can manage. After rearranging my insides I'd really like to make the most of it.

So has anyone tried the Dr. Bernstein diet or a very low carb diet after any type of weight loss surgery? If so for how long did you do it before transitioning over to a more normal healthier way of eating? Did you think it was helpful? I was thinking maybe a regular low carb diet for life might also be my best option because I noticed from being on the Dr. B diet that carbs are really my Achilles heel.

Thanks.

No idea but B12 shots 3 times a week is insane.

I know that the diet works for sure. It’s very low calorie. Just wondering if those who got bariatric surgery would qualify.

Edited by Tabs4Life

Qualify for what? It's, from what I've just read, just a low carb diet.

6 hours ago, Pollito said:

No idea but B12 shots 3 times a week is insane.

I’m pretty sure it was B12 my family dr told me that you just pee out any excess.

I remember having done with this diet about 15 yrs back. Lost weight and put it all back on plus more. Ever since that diet, my metabolism has been a wreck. It also triggered binge eating disorder in my case which never really went away with the cycle of yo yo dieting.

Dr. Bernstein diet or any other such restrictive diet, I wouldn't recommend it anyone. Dr. Bernstein's diet is not only low carb, but also an extremely low calorie diet. I used to consume around 500ish calories in a day and back then I was too young and inexperienced what that can do to one's biological system. They also don't focus on getting appropriate Protein in. Their main focus is to cut down on all macros to make sure you're losing weight. That also meant you would be losing your muscles along with it.

I have faced the repercussions of that diet for over a decade.

In my case personally, I wouldn't recommend any sorta restrictive diet for life because it can trigger binging which can be catastrophic.

One of the reasons, I opted for bariatric surgery is because it does provide restriction on protion control but also helps with stabilizing the hormones and thermostat.

I don't anymore have the tendency or feels to binge. My cravings aren't crazy either nor do I think of food all the time. The constant head hunger isn't there nor do I have the constant voice telling me to order this food or that.

Anyone who struggles with binging, please do yourself a favor and don't ever take the route of restrictive diets especially after you're given a shot to fix your mess with this surgery. Yes, bariatric surgery also comes with its limitations and lifelong committment, but it is something that is sustainable if you keep your focus.

So, in my opinion, I wouldn't recommend it especially Dr. Bernstein's diet.

And if you wanna replicate its diet, modify it. Keep it low card but make sure you get enough protein and calories. You also don't need that kinda Vitamin B12 intake. Oral sublingual pills are enough to keep your B12 levels normal. Just got my levels tested 3 months post-Op, and they are in the normal range.

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

On 10/5/2014 at 7:14 AM, Ivanova8 said:

thinking maybe a regular low carb diet for life might also be my best option because I noticed from being on the Dr. B diet that carbs are really my Achilles heel.

You have tried it but went back on regular diet and put your weight back on. Do you think low-carb diet is sustainable for life? I know many opt for Keto and low carb diets but can you personally do it for life?

That should be the question to ask. If it isn't sustainable, it isn't for you.

After done various diets, I know personally, low carbs/Keto isn't for me. I don't like restrictive diets. They always triggered my binging. So I will always make sure not to intentionally restrict anything from my diet. Of course, a balanced diet is a must. But restrictive diet is a big NO NO for me unless it's something temporary. I won't be able to do it for life nor do I want to make that my lifestyle post surgery.

LMAO I just realized OP had posted this back in 2014 🤣

Oh well, hope all went well with him or her.

33 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I’m pretty sure it was B12 my family dr told me that you just pee out any excess.

All Vitamins. No Vitamin is beneficial to health unless you're deficient. Some are harmful.

17 minutes ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

LMAO I just realized OP had posted this back in 2014 🤣

Oh well, hope all went well with him or her.

Doesn't matter at all, your comments are helpful for all those who read them. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Pollito said:

All Vitamins. No Vitamin is beneficial to health unless you're deficient. Some are harmful.

yea I am just saying I don’t think B12 is one that is harmful in excess.

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

yea I am just saying I don’t think B12 is one that is harmful in excess.

Only to your wallet by taking a silly amount of unnecessary jabs to the butt

Just now, Pollito said:

True.

5 minutes ago, Pollito said:

They go on your belly unfortunately. Still have PTSD of a kind of being jabbed 3x a week right in your belly. 😥

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine