Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United Healthcare & 6 month wait time

Got off the phone today with a representative from United Health Care and apparently I have to have 6 months of supervised weight loss with a Doctor, Nutritionist or Registered Dietitian. While I am grateful for having insurance I am a little bummed out about having to wait 6 MORE months. I've been considering Lap Band for 5 years and now that I finally made a decision waiting 6 more months just seems like torture.

Judging by the posts in this forum this is not that uncommon...I'm just feeling antsy and frustrated.

First of all I have no record of the multiple attempts to lose weight since I was 12 years old! Second, My BMI is 41....So if I do lose weight in these 6 months then I wont qualify...correct?

On a positive note February 2015 is my 1 year anniversary at my new job...so I'll have tons of sick time and vacation time saved up.

Thanks for listening to my rant :)

I too had to do the6 month diet thing....I was told the insurance co. wanted it on record, before approving the surgery, that I did indeed with every good intent, make attempts to loose weight and FAILED!

I told them every diet I have tried over the last 30 years, and none of them worked. they said they understood but it's only my word...the insurance co. wants something official....with weekly progress note, charts, etc, and all signed off by a MD.

So I did it, and had to pay out of pocket, and gave it my all.......and just like any other diet I did great for the first 3 months or so...plenty of compliments,etc....then just like ay other diet I started to cheat here and there, started to loathe the regiment and foods I had to eat along with shakes, keeping journals, counting calories, etc....and would fast just to get past the weigh ins like they were some kid of pass/fail test....and by the end of the 6 months, although I had a weight loss, it all started to come back rapidly....

No one blinked an eye over this...they just wanted something on record....

I read posts here all the time about this, and that people are told if you are not successful with this 6 month diet, then you will not qualify for WLS.....my thinking is, if I could be successful with traditional dieting, then I would not want to have WLS...

I do not enjoy the fact I had WLS, but it was the only way for me...the last resort...and the 6 month program proves it...with a MD. attesting to it in writing...

So you see, dieting for me was hard work, and I failed every time...WLS was a last resort, and for me the EASY way out....and I don't care. It Worked and that is all that matters.

Bottom line...one ALWAYS has to follow their Dr.'s advice and direction...and if they say loose weight for 6 months, then do it and give it your best shot....

I understand where they are coming from, needing proof that you tried conventional weight loss...I'm just a little antsy cuz I want it over with.

I've been struggling with diet and exercise since I was 12....my story is very similar to yours...If I could've lost the weight on my own then I wouldn't be trying for WLS.

I hate to be a brat but I really don't wanna try another diet again. Ugh! I'm just frustrated and want this over with.

Also...I don't think we are necessarily taking the "easy way out"...surgery has it's risks.

Thanks for your input...and thanks for listening.

I completely understand. I have UHC also and i have to do the 6 month diet. Even though I'm a revision patient, going from the band to bypass. May makes my 5th month. Good luck to you, hope you're doing well.

I had a 3 month diet and weigh ins. They really didn't make a big deal out of it. It was purely for the insurance company. I also felt like it went pretty fast while I tried to get all the other required pre-testing done. Good luck it will be here before u know it!

I have UHC, too. With a BMI of 35 and accompanying conditions, I qualify.

My concern is that I will drop below the 35 BMI with a 6 month diet.

My history is that I'm on a diet, lose some weight, and then gain more back.

Anyone been in this position?