Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Plication Weight Loss Surgery and waist training

This might be a stupid question but I'm curious to know if anyone with plication has done waist training?

What are your thoughts/opinions?

This might be a stupid question but I'm curious to know if anyone with plication has done waist training?

I am one month from having my plication surgery. I am currently working on my core during my physical therapy to gain strength back from inactivity. At 2 months post surgery I will work on isolating and doing ab exercises, crunches, etc. hopefully things will go well!

Waist training is a gradual process of waist reduction using a latex waist cincher or corset ,Also known as waist cinching this practice came to prominence during Victorian times.

should not affect the using the cincher at all...i wear a corset most weekends..but if in doubt or concerned, ask your doctor....

This is an interesting topic because I noticed women in Europe and Asia do wear tummy control girdles after having babies. In fact, you are given a tube like elastic fabric that can be doubled and even tripled to add extra pressure as you go through recovery. At first you wear it almost like a tube dress and provides mild compression. After a while you double it and it comes from under breasts to hips. Then you triple it by folding once more when your body can handle it and it's only in the mid section at this point. I have not seen this practice in the US at all. Please understand it is not a corset. It starts as mild support. Everyone uses some sort of support even the skinny ladies. How come we don't?

The reason I don't use support or compression garments around my abdomen is because where I'm at it's just too darn hot most of the year.

Since I've lost the weight though I've gotten considerably colder in air conditioned rooms. May be a consideration now that I'm not an excessive sweating machine like I used to be ;) .

Blessings,

Kathleen

I have read that corset training can cause your organs to move to the wrong places...kind of scary to me

I'm sorry, but this is 2014.

Corset-training?

No freakin' way.

scarlett-and-mammy.jpg

I know, it's an odd concept but you have to wear compression garments when you have plastic surgery. I'm serious. So there is something to this. It's like lycra support not a corset. It's like wearing lycra pants to a workout, no organs move or get hurt.

I actually used to corset train. Mostly because I'm a goth, so it comes with the territory. Organ displacement has only happened in extreme cases. The typical cinch is up to 4 inches in reduction.

The main problem that I see with women trying it today is they keep it on for far too long. I wouldn't recommend training for more than 4 hours a day to start, otherwise atrophy of the abdominal muscles starts to set in and can make corset removal painful. I like the rubber ones that are out.

As far as with a plication, it should not be different than without it. The stomach compacts while wearing a corset anyways. Expect shortness of breath and and reflux though. The lungs also become constricted along with the upper stomach. These in themselves can easily become health hazards, so just be careful and aware.

Essentially what's really being trained is the fat. There's no loss of inches on its own. It just slowly redistributes the fat deposits. I grew up being shoved into girdles since elementary school. Wore them everyday until high school. Found myself with a nice hourglass figure after the rest of my baby fat went away. Eventually got the genetic version of my belly after 10 years of up and downs. Moral of the story is, wearing compression garments everyday will have the same general effect but may be healthier in the long run.

I'd say pair the 2 if you'd like. It's unlikely that you'll permanently harm yourself. You should make sure you're completely healed first though unless it's specifically a medical cincher.

If you look at Kim Kardashian and think "man that's perfection", consider waist training. Her curves aren't natural but they are wonderful thanks to corsets. At least I think so.

Yeah it's 2014, and we're still shoving our puppies into pushup bras, strings into our butt cracks, plucking, waxing, shaving, and have an unrealistic body images thanks to popular culture.

Not sure what your point is.

Thanks for all the info, I've been thinking of doing this, but didn't know much about it. I don't even know which one to get or where to get them lol

But thanks for sharing info with me.

If you look at Kim Kardashian and think "man that's perfection", consider waist training. Her curves aren't natural but they are wonderful thanks to corsets. At least I think so.

Yeah it's 2014, and we're still shoving our puppies into pushup bras, strings into our butt cracks, plucking, waxing, shaving, and have an unrealistic body images thanks to popular culture.

Not sure what your point is.

Thanks for all the info, I've been thinking of doing this, but didn't know much about it. I don't even know which one to get or where to get them lol

But thanks for sharing info with me.

Absolutely! The best ones will be called tight-lacing corsets. The lowest I've seen them is $70. I'm not sure how much the rubber ones are. The boning (what keeps the corset form) should at least be steel spiral with a steel "busk" at the front or back for strength. If you get one with an opening in the front and lacing at the back, those are the easiest to get in and out of.

Absolutely! The best ones will be called tight-lacing corsets. The lowest I've seen them is $70. I'm not sure how much the rubber ones are. The boning (what keeps the corset form) should at least be steel spiral with a steel "busk" at the front or back for strength. If you get one with an opening in the front and lacing at the back, those are the easiest to get in and out of.

Do you have any weight loss surgeries?