Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best fodd for me to eat following band surger.

Hi there. I had a gastric band fitted on the 7th of Feb 2007. I am not losing weight and wonder if anyone could suggest foods that will make me feel fuller for longer. My dietician advised that I eat crunchy foods but they seem to go down easier than others! A lot of foods I see people talk about I can't get in Scotland so if anyone can suggest foods in the UK or basic global foods that would be great. Many thanks.

You should be eating Protein first (not crunchy foods), then veggies, and then any starchy foods last, if you are still hungry. Protein helps keep you feeling full longer. Crunchy foods are not typically very good for you, anyway, and will keep you from losing weight...

Good luck!

Thanks travelgirl. I don't undersrtand my dietician for telling me that crunchy food such as crispbread and Cereal is best as these things don't fill me. I have found some things which are Protein as I wasn't sure. The list I found is eggs, milk, meat, apricots, avocados, bananas, cherries, dates, figs, nuts, Beans, and grapes. I will give these things a try and see if that satisfies me more.

I eat two pieces of WASA whole wheat crispbread a day with a nice heaping of tuna on it. I can't really tolerate lettuce but I can eat spinach leaves. I'll have that with some fish or crabmeat and chickpeas, a little low fat cheese, and about an ounce of nuts (walnuts, almonds). Very tasy and filling.

Thanks Yenken. That sounds really nice. I did have crispbread this morning which is just the 2nd time I have had it since having the band fitted. I must admit it has really filled me and I have felt full for about 2 hours now which is amazing for me! My dietician mentioned crispbread but I had been finding crunchy foods did not fill me so I didn't really try it but, after it filling me today, I will try it more often. I am looking forward to the next fill. I notice you mention not being able to tolerate lettuce and I can't imagine not being able to tolerate foods with this band. I am sure the surgeon forgot to fit one as I can just eat whatever I want without problems. Not that I want problems though but I do want to feel fuller.

Well, I shouldn't say that I cannot tolerate lettuce. I think its more that I cannot stand the time it takes to chew lettuce. Its quite annoying for me and Ifind that I do better with spinach. I know...I'm lazy!!!!!!

Try to always get your meat in first. I haven't had cereal yet, but when I do I will alternate between cereal and crispbread. I won't eat both on the same day.

My doctor also suggests to eat small portions about every 3 hours. I can't say that I do that all the time but it does make me think that I'm constantly eating.

Do they have products like Proteins bars in Scotland/UK? Have you been able to order any online? Try ebay.

One last thing. Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! I was at a point where I was not losing/not gaining. I started exercising and that is changing now.

Elizabeth, you will get pass this. You'll eventually find what works for you and will start losing in no time. I know you can do it!!!!!

I find I'm the same way with salad. I've been skipping on the salads. I tried my first one earlier this week, and it's pretty hard to chew it up really well and 'seperate' it with my tongue.. very fiberous and likes to stick together. So by time I can chew up one piece, I'm tired of eating salad.

Hmm I haven't heard of Protein bars. It may be something I can find in a health food shop. I will have a look on ebay and see if I can find anything like it. Is it like a fruit bar?

I don't have to chew salad very well, it just goes down the way it used to before I had the band fitted. The only thing I do have to chew really well is meat especially chicken.

There are a few Protein bars with fruit but I mostly get ones with peanuts/peanut butter and coated with chocolate. If you find any you just have to be mindful of the the sugar. A lot of Protein Bars have a substantial amount of sugar. There are low carbs bars like Atkins and South Beach Diet (these are crunchy/chewy). I hope you are able to find some where you are or online!!!

Have you had your first fill yet?

Elizabeth, I ran into the same thing. It was because I was not eating enough solid Protein. I would try and make sure you eat lean meats throughout the day so you will get in your 60 grams of protein. It will keep you satisfied and full all day. Almonds help me too.