Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honest truth about genepro protein powder

My

Edited by TEXASLADY52

Everyone has their own choices and no one is making you use it. For myself, this is what works out best for me. I cannot choke down anymore chaulky Protein powder drinks. Isopure left an awful metalic taste in my mouth. The whey shots were the worst tasting I have ever tasted. Like I said this is what works for me....it may not for the next person but I am very happy with it and my blood work is good.

I have a lot of trouble getting my Protein in, I hate the taste now yuk so I just ordered some of this to try

Everyone has their own choices and no one is making you use it. For myself, this is what works out best for me. I cannot choke down anymore chaulky Protein powder drinks. Isopure left an awful metalic taste in my mouth. The whey shots were the worst tasting I have ever tasted. Like I said this is what works for me....it may not for the next person but I am very happy with it and my blood work is good.

try some of the non meat products in the vegetarian section- I think you will find them easier and save animals at the same time

Has anyone actually had blood work done to check their Protein levels since starting on GENEPRO? I mean lab results from your own doctor that show it works as they claim it does?

I'm interested, but their claims sound too good to be true. I don't want to take it thinking I'm getting the protein my body needs after bypass surgery and then find out it's all a sham. But I haven't seen one review yet that's supported by factual evidence of protein levels in the body after taking the product for any length of time.

Have you had any other noticeable results (or problems) since you started taking GENEPRO?

I find all Protein Shakes disgusting.

I use GENEPRO and love it. I can put it in just about anything, food, drinks, hot, cold...except milk based products but that's just personal taste preference.

It will make clear drinks look cloudy but if you closed your eyes I bet you could barely tell it's in there.

I am STILL pre-op so I cannot attest to blood work but I have read multiple posts in which others have said that their blood work is great while using it and several doctors are now recommending it to their patients.

I THINK the science behind the 30g Protein in 15g product is that they claim to put it through a process that takes out everything in whey but the pure protein itself.

OH my gosh I tried an Isopure bottle ready to drink and it made me sick tasted like rotten milk

I really appreciate this thread. I ordered GENEPRO after reading about how flavorless it is- and it really truly is flavorless - but we should all have legitimate concerns about how much Protein is in a serving. I only log it as having 15g of protein per serving instead of 30 because I think the company is full of shit. So much so that now that I've read this thread and others I wouldn't buy it again because I can't even be assured it actually has ANY protein in it. I only use it to reach my protein stretch goal for the day, and not to hit the levels required by my plan. And I should probably just throw it away but hate wasting money haha.

I am hoping that its true or well half true lol because I just ordered some, I am going to try to do more research on it.

I really appreciate this thread. I ordered GENEPRO after reading about how flavorless it is- and it really truly is flavorless - but we should all have legitimate concerns about how much Protein is in a serving. I only log it as having 15g of protein per serving instead of 30 because I think the company is full of ****. So much so that now that I've read this thread and others I wouldn't buy it again because I can't even be assured it actually has ANY protein in it. I only use it to reach my protein stretch goal for the day, and not to hit the levels required by my plan. And I should probably just throw it away but hate wasting money haha.

​The honest truth is that GENEPRO is a scam. There are 15 grams in a tablespoon. A tablespoon cannot contain 30 grams of Protein any more than one cup can hold two cups of Water.

GENEPRO is sold to bariatric patients. Bariatric patients don't know any better. There is no regulation of Protein or any other supplements. They are making lots of money by lying about their product and selling it to people who are naïve enough to believe.

After reading this thread, I got a little curious and started to do some research. For context, note that I have a PhD in Bioengineering (from a top 10, US institution - will become relevant) and have spent the 15 years of my career as either a drug discovery scientist in 2 large pharma companies or in contract labs that perform independent safety and efficacy testing for pharmaceuticals and medical devices. While I'm not an expert in Protein biochemistry, I do know a bit about bioavailability and biodistribution (and similar topics) - and, as a scientist, am skeptical by nature. So I started to dig and do some research on GENEPRO. Long story short, I found minimal to no scientific evidence of the claims they make - increase in bypass of the intestinal digestive system by 94%, increase in absorbency to 97.8%, etc. The graphs they included were found in the marketing literature from Deerland enzymes - the company that makes Prohydrolase. The clinical data in their "Clinical Studies" section was not related to their specific product (and was incomplete at that). The award for "2015 Life Science Impact Product of the Year" was awarded by the Triangle Business Journal - a local business publication in Research Triangle Park - not a scientific trade publication, society or association. The CEO, "Dr." Parks, received a PhD from Canterbury University (Auckland, NZ). I am not familiar with this degree program or its accreditations, but at best once could consider its scientific rigor suspect. If nothing else, one has to wonder why an entrepreneur in the RTP area of NC - in spitting distance of 3 world-class research universities - needs to go to NZ for education.

All this being said, to be fair we need to recognize that nutritional supplements are not FDA regulated and that none of the companies that manufacture these products are required to substantiate their claims. The take home message is not that their product is junk (there is no data to conclude that it isn't effective) - it's that one needs to be cautious about accepting their assertions wholesale. At a minimum, it's fair to say that they are over-inflating their "data" and lack independent scientific verification.

If you read the fine print on their website, I believe that they are stating that their 30g of Protein is an equivalent value - in simple terms, if their protein version is 3x more "bioavailable" than standard whey protein, ~10g of GENEPRO is equivalent to ~30g of standard whey protein - for whatever that's worth. Personally, I am still planning to use GenePro (my surgery is next week) as it does appear to be easy and tasteless, but to be safe will probably count this as 10-15g of protein and not 30g. Just wanted to share what I learned so everyone could make a slightly more educated decision for themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've been using GENEPRO for a long time, almost as my sole source, all my labs have been perfect (total Protein, Albumin/Globulin.. Etc). I couldn't find any independent data on the product as well, and have even wrote them. To purify Proteins through column chromatography is nothing new, nor is electrophoresis (I'm a Protein purification scientist) but I really wanted to see some data but to no avail. Maybe they are worried another company will copycat them (understandably) but at least I can go by my labs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

HI I am a true fan of the GENEPRO Protein I ordered it from Amazon the other day and I just got it by mail on friday. I tried it for the first time and OMG!!! absolutely AMAZING. I put it in my chicken broth it has no taste and the broth is like it has nothing in it. If you ever had coffee and you put the Creamer in it and it may change the color of the coffee but it dissolves well this is how it does but it doesn't change the color its odorless and all. I would drink this forever......... BTW it is 50.00 for a 45 day supply and 39.00 for a 30 day supply 1 tablespoon is 30 grams of Protein at amazon but you can go on genepro.com.

I just bought bag of GENEPRO today as well! It arrived today and I'm currently trying it mixed in a serving of yogurt. It really is the best option I've found, taste wise!

But am I the only one who is skeptical? 30g squeezed into a 15g scoop? I've tried researching it and have had no luck in finding a real explanation of how they are able to pull this off. It sounds too good to be true. I worry about relying on this and then finding out that it only has like 5g of Protein.

Has anyone had their NUT sign off on this stuff?

hello I have not as of yet but I will be on Tuesday calling my nutritionist to see because I love this stuff. But if I find out this is false advertisement and I will consult my attorney as well I love me and my health is important to me and I will accept nothing less than what I am supposed to have on a daily basis...

I hear from so many people on this website that their tastes and what they could tolerate before and after surgery has changed in regards to Protein powders/shakes. Has anyone tried GENEPRO before surgery and could still tolerate it?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App