Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was considering lap band, have been convinced sleeve is a better choice. Any thoughts?

I had my consultation today. Thought I was heading toward the lap band but was told today I would probably like the life style freedom of the sleeve. I did not think I would qualify for the sleeve with a lower BMI. I did. I am actually very excited about the option. I have seen a reference to Lap Sleeve procedure...is that the same as the Gastric sleeve? or two separate procedures?

Also, can anyone give me an idea on the recovery time as well as what to expect for initial weight loss? My head is spinning a bit,

I have researched Lap Band for weeks now, and feel like I'm starting from scratch learning about the Gastric sleeve. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm in the medical field and there's a lot of 'talk' going on that Bands will end up getting re-called and pulled off the market. I have ZERO evidence to point you to so that you can investigate things for yourself. What I have read on this forum are lots of people who have had Bands and get them removed with a conversion to a sleeve.

It'll be a personal choice you'll have to make.

first off you are in the sleeve section so you will get a lot of pro sleeve talk. I will tell you that I think it is a great option. for me it is because I did not want multiple visits to the dr. to fine tune and adjust the band. also, check out all the signatures of people on here that have had a lap-band to sleeve revision. there is probably a reason for that. there is a whole sub-forum on here just for that subject. first week I lost 11 pounds. I am 2 weeks out and I feel great. the stomach muscle in the largest incision is still sore and that will take a few more weeks to heal, but I am fully back to work in my very active job. good luck on your research.

studies do show that you can expect more weight loss with a sleeve, but a sleeve is permanent and not reversible. read read read. :)

Ready 4 Changes - I was considering the Lap Band procedure but was quickly swayed towards the Gastric Sleeve surgery. Some Doctors will not even consider the Lap Band procedure because of the high conversion or revision rate. I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery August 27, 2014 and have lost 29 lbs. Mind you....My starting weight was 224 and I am 5'7" tall, not exactly the ideal candidate for such a procedure, but I had a lot of core-morbidities that were affecting my health. Best decision I have ever made......off all the medication and no more acid reflux.

Any question, please ask.

I have a friend who had lab band over 5 years ago. She was the first person to dissuade me from getting one. Basically for the reasons already stated....all of the postop management issues, slippage, and failure to lose. She has struggled the whole time trying to find the "sweet spot" and her fills and unfills result in her weight yo yoing up and down. She had to have emergency surgery when it slipped. She is now looking at VSG or bypass.

But like everyone said, research research because VSG can have issues, too. And it is irreversible which freak out some people. Personally, I love it and am living a totally normal, stress- free life already under my goal weight so I'm a big VSG fan. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I originally whet into all of this thinking lap-band was my choice. At seminar, learned that presenting dr did not even consider them anymore but his partner had done one or two in the last year. I was depressed as I had read so much great stuff...which I later realized was written or promoted by lap band makers. This begins my 4th day post op with the sleeve, and I do like the choice I made. Good luck!

Lapsleeve is just a marketing term...they are all done laproscopically these days.

I am a sleeve evangelists, as I have been very successful after switching from a lapband that never really worked. I realize this is a personal decision but I would be questioning whether it is worth the risk of any WLS with only about 50# to lose. This decision comes with consequences and it is for a lifetime. Good luck whatever you decide!

Thank you all for feedback. I wanted to let you know prior to meeting with the surgical DR. I had already lost 50 pounds. So with that being said, although my starting BMI is low for surgery as of now, ... it has been much higher. I just need help for the remainder of the weight loss and need a tool for ongoing weight maintenance. I have yo yo'd my scale for so many years, I feel like the surgery will help me with longterm balance. I am Moving forward. Thank you all for being there... I will have more questions and topics as I progress. Excited and motivated for continued changes :)

Blessings to you all for good health!

Kudos to you..half way to goal and haven't even had surgery yet!!!

I doubt anyone with the sleeve will recommend you have the band instead of the sleeve. if you go to the band forum you will find tons of reasons why they choose the band over the sleeve. I have had a band and am now converting to a sleeve. I would have loved to not have gone through that and had the sleeve from the get go. I was so motivated, so ready to change and chose the wrong tool. I can accept it now, I now see it as time wasted, not to mention the financial expense. It took me while to decide to have a 2nd wls but I have and am ready once again. If you can have the sleeve as a first option go for it!

I doubt anyone with the sleeve will recommend you have the band instead of the sleeve. if you go to the band forum you will find tons of reasons why they choose the band over the sleeve. I have had a band and am now converting to a sleeve. I would have loved to not have gone through that and had the sleeve from the get go. I was so motivated, so ready to change and chose the wrong tool. I can accept it now, I now see it as time wasted, not to mention the financial expense. It took me while to decide to have a 2nd wls but I have and am ready once again. If you can have the sleeve as a first option go for it!

You took the words right out of my mouth!

If a friend asked me my opinion, I would recommend the sleeve over the band BUT do research and talk to your surgeon. You'll figure out what is best for you.

This is the sleeve section so I am pro sleeve. But meeting all the women at the hospital having their band turned to a sleeve helped make me happy I didn't do the lap band route first.

Just keep in mind, with the sleeve, what's done is done! I chose it because my surgeon recommended it over the other procedures for me, and I did not want a foreign object like the band in my body. I have staples and sutures now but to me it is different. I also didn't want that port. I am good with the path I chose. Go to a bariatric support group and talk to everyone. That's my best suggestion. And read, read, read! God bless!!

Like rovobay said, a lot of people will be pro sleeve as it's the sleeve forum, but here were my personal reasons why I chose the sleeve:

1. I am a volume eater! I may not be shoving Oreos and junk food down my throat, but I overeat, even the good stuff like fruits.

2. I am already anemic, have low Vitamin d and B12 levels, so I did not want to have issues with malabsorption.

3. The thought of having most of my stomach removed doesn't bother me, hut I get the eebie jeebies from the thought of having my intestines movers around.

4. I don't really eat a ton of sweets so the major possibility of dumping syndrome being a deterrent wasn't needed.

5. I also love to bake during the holidays! Like Graham Elliot, he chose the sleeve so he can still taste test what is being made. Like I said in #4, I don't eat a lot of sweets, but being more prone to dumping syndrome wouldn't be good for testing recipes.

6. My mom has a history of colitis and ulcers, and was hospitalized once and had to receive blood transfusions...that alone made me want to leave my intestines alone.

7. I have had Migraines since childhood and NSAIDS help me. They can be used occasionally with sleeve (at least some docs ok it) and with bypass you can't take them at all.

8. With bypass you have a small pouch and your anatomy is changed and if something happens and a medic or doctor needs to scope you, the can perforate your pouch if they aren't advised you have had bypass.

It's late, so if I think of anymore I will add them, but take the time to make the decision that is right for you. Regardless of what surgery you choose, we will all be out here rooting for you????

I'm no WLS expert. And I have the sleeve.

I started this journey expecting that I would get the band. But after listening to my very experienced surgeon's reasons for why he does very few bands anymore and doesn't recommend them and learning about all the lapband trial-and-error maintenance required post-op, the long-term post-lapband complications, that it's not a permanent tool (when lapbands are removed almost everyone regains their weight), and that many post-lapband patients are being sleeved -- it was a pretty easy decision for me to choose the sleeve.

So I guess I just said what Rosie O'Donnell said.