Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low heart rate during surgery

Yesterday was the big day that I thought I would go into surgery to be sleeved and come back out to start the begging of a new life. When I started this journey in May 2014 I weighed 272 lbs standing 5' 1, type 2 diabetes, AO of left knee, sleep apnea, and arthritis in my feet. The day of my surgery, September 24 I weighed in at 243 lbs. I was so excited. I went into surgery 7:30 am and remembering waking up at in recover around 10:30 am only to be told they could continue to perform the surgery because my heart rate dropped low twice. I came back home with one incision in my stomach. Can you imagine how I felt and what was going through my mind? I did all I was suppose to do and competed all my exams that was required. There was no negative results from my cardiologist. Now I have to go again and have another EKG and praying everything is ok. Do any one else know of any experience like this and how did things turn out for them. Im determined and praying for a new life.

Yes, this is a very common response to general anesthesia. Some people's heart rates go really high and some go really low. It only becomes an issue if it happens, they medicate you for it, and your body does not respond as expected.

A couple of things you should find out from them:

1) How long after you were induced did your heart rate drop.

2) How low did your heart rate get.

3) What medication did they give you to treat the low heart rate.

4) What was your response to that medication.

5) Did you continue to have a low heart rate once out of the cancelled surgery, when you were in the recovery room.

The answer to those questions will be useful to the cardiologist you end up seeing to get clearance for surgery a second time. This is also very necessary information you would want to relay to any doctors or surgeons you see in the future, and that includes dental work.

It sucks and I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. I know you must feel so dissapointed, but it will be ok.

Thank you for this information, very helpful. I'm feeling hopeful.

You're welcome. Let us know what ends up happening and good luck to you.

Well I was sent back to my cardiologist to find there is nothing wrong with my heart. I also pass my stress test. I am reschedule for surgery October 29. Let's pray the anesthesiologist knows what he his doing this time.

I was hoping for an update from you! What happened to you is really common and completely normal. I'm so glad things worked out and that you're back on track. Good luck!