Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery question... does anyone know statistics of people who have had complications, and had to have band removed?

I am still researching. I am a self pay patient, so I am trying to reassure myself the pros out way the cons. The one thing I have not been able to find a lot of information on complications. (my fear) I have noticed that several people are converting from band to sleeve... wondering why. At my BMI I do not qualify for the sleeve. I also would like to know how many people have band removed... and why. I do believe the general success of the band as a weight loss tool is patient specific, based on determination and commitment to the lifestyle. I am mentally and physically prepared to jump in with both feet. It is the unknown that scares me. Are these typical pre-surgery jitters? Can anyone post-op talk me off the ledge? I am excited, yet the fear does creep in.

I have the band, and happy with my decision and could not be more pleased with the results.....

However,

From what little I know about the sleeve, I kind of wished that was the way I went...Reason? the band is adjustable, and involves some maintenance....

The sleeve is what it is...no adjustments...it just is...

talking with my Dr. and staff at my Bariatric center, they all say the success rate is much lower with the band, not because the band fails, but due to the fact it is adjustable...and the patient has the ultimate say how it should be adjusted....in other words, the patient has too much control....

Control is not a bad thing, unless you choose to not have it adjusted to the point you can eat whatever and whenever you want....so what's the point?

They tell me stories about people who come in to get Fluid taken out because they are going on vacation and they want to "Enjoy" themselves....then come back afterwards.....

Kind of sounds like the way I used to cheat on traditional diets...

With the Sleeve, it just is....at least that's my limited knowledge....

I can't help you in terms of percentages of complications but what I can tell you is that your concerns about the unknown are very common. I was terrified pre-surgery. I couldn't imagine what my life was going to be like without the comfort of food. Well, turns out my life improved so much that overeating was something I didn't want to do even though I could have.

It took work, and it's still a temptation to eat poorly or eat too much but when you start to see the success, it gets a whole lot easier to be compliant. I went on a cruise in July and was so happy to be able to walk the ship comfortably and get off at all the ports and go on excursions that I was able to walk away from all that food pretty darn easily. I lost a pound that week. Who loses weight on a cruise? I do. And so will you once you find some success and see how the band works.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Complication rates are so misleading IMO.....depending on WHO does the "study", they can be all over the place. While the manufacturer might say they are in the 5% range, you could find one that says the rate may be upwards of 50%....depending again on who does the "study".

I've attended several support group meetings over the 5 years I've had my band ( and I have had no band caused complications ). There are always band, sleeve, RNY paitents there. Some have had wonderful success with each procedure, while some have not. I don't know if that'd be representive of anything other than the small number of people who choose to come to the meetings, but that's what I've seen.

One thing that always has made me happy with my decision to have the band is this, for the folks struggling with sleeve and bypass, all they are ever told is eat less/better choices and exercise more, nothing else to be done.....just a traditional diet plan.

For banded patients, we have another option......Adjustments!

A Bariatric Surgeon I saw while researching for which surgery and doctor to go with, stated he no longer does Lapband because the weight loss outcomes are so poor. He was the chief of surgery at a major hospital, Harvard educated and had stellar credentials, only lost one patient due to deep vein thrombosis in over 2,000 procedures in 15 years. He also stated he does all the more difficult cases with the higher risk patients. I considered the Lapband as well but he talked me out of it. Of course, he was very professional but it was clear he didn't support it, even though he recommended another doctor at the same hospital if I wished to go that route . He says it works very well for some patients but it requires a level of maintenance with adjustments (adding or removing saline through the Lapband port using a needle and syringe) to the band that most people do not follow through. In addition, the complications with the Lapband are high in his experience.

But has you have seen there are many people who have successfully adjusted to life with Lapband and had a great deal of success. My understanding is, they are in the minority. I would advise to see a few different surgeons and attend the support groups. You will meet a variety of patients and their experiences will educate your decision.

On another note, I find the gastric bypass diet a fantastic weight loss diet. It is by far the best diet i have ever been on. I am not hungry and feel fantastic. It's a high Protein, fruits and veggies but only a little carb. The trick is not drinking while you eat in the golden hour. No drinks 10 minutes before you eat, chew your food for 20 to 25 minutes (it's an eternity) and again no liquids for 20min after. I am never hungry.

Good luck

Thank you for your feedback. From what I have found so far, serious complications are not common, and often with patients who have other medical conditions.

Can I ask a more direct questions....

1. What were the things most difficult to get used too?

2. What are things you wish you knew about, before you had to experience them?

3. How long did it take to get a eating pattern that worked for you?

4. How long until you felt a new "normal"?

4. Lastly, knowing what you know now, post op... would you have Lap Band procedure again?

I Would love a sample of daily eating habits, to get an idea of the food progression over time.

Consult today... The Journey begins. :)

Hi there and congratulations on your decision to have weight loss surgery. I am so happy not to be on a diet. I make good choices -- the band let's me do that. It's like the appetite monster is off of my back. The hardest thing for me was learning to eat slowly. I was a shoveler. That will not work with the band. I learned to chew my food into very small pieces -- I use small spoons and a shrimp fork when at home. I wish I had known that I would not feel like I was giving up anything. My days vary -- and you'll find we all find our own ways, some similarities, some differences. I am not hungry in the mornings and so I don't eat. I no longer believe in starvation, etc. I am glad to know hunger now -- it feels so normal. My body says, hey, I'm hungry and then I eat. It might be 11 or 12 -- usually I have had several cups of tea by that time. I wake up early and get a lot of work done in that time. Sometimes I have leftovers from the night before -- I love salmon, for example. Often I have a Greek yogurt. For me that's a slider food and to make it something that is chewed (it's the chewing and swallowing that gets the esophageal signal happening and how we feel satiety) I add chia seeds, walnut bits, a little gluten-free Cereal -- whatever mix-ins. Then I note the time because I should not be hungry again for 4-5 hours (I'm in the green zone). I might have head hunger and I can indulge that, too, if I want -- I might have an apple or some almonds. dinner varies but I just have a little of whatever it is, and I don't wolf it down. We eat out and go to people's houses, have dinner parties. Hardly anyone knows I'm banded so my small portions just help explain how it is I'm wearing size 10 jeans right now. I'm kind of a healthy food type, not that I didn't love sweets and it's certainly possible to get really fat on high-quality food, lol. I'm just saying I did not have to cope with addictions to junk food, etc. But it is truly amazing to me that I can have food in my house that I love (cheese, nuts, chocolate, etc.) but I just have it when I'm hungry now. Before I was in the green zone I was careful not to have temptations around. Exercise is something I want to do now and I honestly cannot believe that. I worked out before (to move, I have arthritis) but I never wanted to and now I look forward to exercise. It's wild, the changes. I'm so relieved to be out of food jail. Hope this helps -- long and all over the place. Know that you will get there. Stay positive. Don't worry about the scale in the beginning. Best wishes!

That helps! You all do. I am so thankful to have found this site to ask questions. I am not sharing my procedure with anyone other than my husband. He is nervous about any possible complications, but supports my decision. I don't need the added pressure from my family members of yet another attempt to lose weight. Im doing this for me, not them, and think its ok to keep it private. So... your responses are very helpful. I was wondering how people eat out and socialize. We live in a smaller city, and that is what people do here for fun..We all go out, have cocktails and dinner with friends. I love that you can still do that with smaller portions and good choices. Can you still enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of wine with friends? I appreciate the mindset utilizing the lap band as a "tool" to be the "trainer on my back" to keep my portion and choices in check. My original fear was that I would be running out of a restaurant to vomit and be humiliated. Knowing some foods should be avoided, is it safe to say you eat typically the same foods just smaller portions? I am not a big junk food eater. I do love pizza however. I eat too many carbs. I have stopped drinking soda over a year ago. I am no longer eating bread. I am hoping that will make the transformation post surgery, a little less painful... since I have already removed them from my diet. I did go and get chewable Vitamins and gas strips for pains. What should I get over the counter for the pain? Is there anything else you would add for a pre-op gal with jitters to get me more prepared?

Thank you again... what a blessing to be able to talk :)

Yes, I would do it again. I have gone from size 18 to a 2-4. My back pain is close to being completely gone, I can move about freely again. Traveling is so much easier, consequently , I am rarely home anymore- too busy out living life! My stats were similar to yours. It's been a good choice for me. What I was not prepared for was my body rapidly changing and all the attention it brought. I've had to work at that mental aspect, as in not undermining my own hard work. Learning to listen to the fluctuations of the band/ body, and not fighting it. If it's tight today, it's ok to have a Protein packed smoothie, instead of solid food. Follow up care is a really important aspect, to the best of your ability, investigate that help will be there for you, this board has been so valuable, and I would encourage you to read as many post regarding the band by folkes who live with it. I don't have local support, I'm sure if I was in real trouble, I would get help, but the rest.. It's a good thing I enjoy research.

You sounds like you are on the right track, you have many people here to help you along as frequently as you need it. Good luck, best wishes in whatever your choice is!

Thank you for your feedback. From what I have found so far, serious complications are not common, and often with patients who have other medical conditions.

Can I ask a more direct questions....

1. What were the things most difficult to get used too? Eating slowly

2. What are things you wish you knew about, before you had to experience them? Constipation. I suffer from this and have to take medication as well as seeing an acupuncturist for 'digestive issues'.

3. How long did it take to get a eating pattern that worked for you? Probably about three or four months

4. How long until you felt a new "normal"? Not until I lost about 70 lbs. That's when I realized I was still overweight but no longer morbidly obese.

4. Lastly, knowing what you know now, post op... would you have Lap Band procedure again? In a heartbeat.

I Would love a sample of daily eating habits, to get an idea of the food progression over time. Here's what I did from the time I was able to eat 'regular' food. I ate basically what would be considered a Weight Watchers diet. I didn't do points or any of that nonsense but I ate 3 oz. Protein, 1/2 cup veggies, and 1/4 cup of carbs for lunch and dinner. I would eat eggs, oatmeal, or cream of wheat for Breakfast. fruit or low fat cheese for a snack and tracked everything I ate...and I mean everything in myfitnesspal. I did my best to eat under 1,100 calories a day. I lost 140+ lbs. doing it this way.

Consult today... The Journey begins. :)

I responded to your questions but just be aware that my situation is not typical in that I've not had any fills. Because of this, I've never gotten stuck or slimed or any other issue along those lines. I also did not experience bandster hell as I had correct restriction from day one. On the other hand, I have to work that much harder to eat slow, eat small bites, and chew well.

Thank you so very much. :)

4 felt totally normal by 6 weeks. Down over 20 lbs and feeling fantastic. Ready for my journey. Hopefully I can get my first fill Oct 6

Hi go walking. I'm having my surgery on 10/16/14. Very excited and very nervous. Have about 150 pounds to lose. I was wondering if you still get restriction without ever having a fill?

I responded to your questions but just be aware that my situation is not typical in that I've not had any fills. Because of this, I've never gotten stuck or slimed or any other issue along those lines. I also did not experience bandster hell as I had correct restriction from day one. On the other hand, I have to work that much harder to eat slow, eat small bites, and chew well.

Hi go walking. I'm having my surgery on 10/16/14. Very excited and very nervous. Have about 150 pounds to lose. I was wondering if you still get restriction without ever having a fill?

Hi Patty. Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I know that you are nervous..it's perfectly normal. I'm sure you will do well. Again..follow your doctor's instructions and you'll be fine.

As far as your question...yes, I can't explain it nor can my surgeon except that there are a few of us who have restriction without the fills. There are some right here on this forum as a matter of fact so while it's rare, it's not unheard of. But I think I approach eating a little differently than most. Since I know I won't get stuck, and can eat small meals or snack all day long if I choose, I have to listen really hard to my band. I can overeat if I'm not paying attention. I have done that once in a while and even one bite too many can make me go from satiated to uncomfortable so I have to know when to stop. If I'm full, I've gone too far. In order to make sure this doesn't happen, I weigh and measure my food at home, and pay very close attention to my portions when I'm out in a restaurant or someone's house. As good as something might taste, I can't eat too much of it. I have to stop as soon as the hunger is gone, but that's always before feeling full. Those who can differentiate will do well. Those who can't may struggle till they figure it out.

Good luck and keep us posted on your surgery and progress.

Edited by gowalking

Hi! I was successful with the band and a self pay. I was banded in June 2008 and lost all my weight in 9 months. Kept it off for almost 6 years. No complication until October 2013 then all of a sudden I kept having issues.. Come to find out my band had eroded. I revised (another self pay) from band to bypass in May of this year. Wish I had just done the bypass in the beginning. Like I said I was successful and would have kept being successful if it hadn't of eroded. I didn't even consider the sleeve after seeing the sleeve to bypass revision board on here. I didn't want to have to pay for another wls surgery. I do know many people who didn't do well with the band for whatever reason but I can say it worked for me. I find bypass to be so much easier than the band was. But that is just my personal opinion. I wish you lots of pounds lost in whatever decision you make and feel free to pm if you have any questions.