Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications- Surgery Cancelled in the middle of it!

My husband and I were both scheduled for the sleeve 2 weeks apart. It was an easy approval process with BCBS-IL with both of us having a 40 BMI. My husband is on meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol and I have no co-morbids. We were so excited last week for his date to finally arrive and all seemed on track going in. I was with him until he sent to the operating room and since they said it would be a couple hours I went ahead and left the building to pick up our kids at school. I got a call 30 minutes after I left from the doctor. My heart sank. I knew something had to be wrong because they wouldn't be calling so soon. Apparently he was under the general anesthetic and stomach scrubbed/shaved and ready to be cut when his heart rate when up very high and started beating erratically. They did not feel safe performing the procedure and stopped everything and told me to come back. I had my kids with me and raced back to the surgery clinic to find the ambulance in front. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital with lights and sirens. UGH. Not what we planned for. When we got to the hospital the ER doctor said he was in AFIB and they wanted to do a shock to his heart (cardioaversion) to bring it back to normal rhythm. So they shocked him and it worked and his heart started beating normally again. They released him that night after making sure his vitals were stable. It was a major disappointment for him when he woke up in the ambulance expecting the procedure to be done and instead heading to the hospital. It was all so surreal.

The sleeve surgeon wants a clearance from a cardiologist now before he proceeds again. We were lucky to get him in the next day and he had full testing (EKGs and Echocardiogram) and everything showed as normal and the cardiologist cleared him for surgery. Cardio dr. said he has seen this before and sometimes people can go into AFIB while under general anesthesia. As it turns out also, come to find out, my husband didn't follow the medication stop/start chart to the letter prior to surgery. He had stopped his blood pressure meds a day early when he was supposed to take it the morning of surgery. So of course he feels terrible that it could have caused this whole mess. So he is cleared and ready to go again with strict instructions not to stop his meds. I feel badly for him because he is so disappointed and had done his pre-op diet and everything. I let him take my surgery date that was set for 2 weeks after his and now mine is going to get re-scheduled. So his new date is next week. We feel very out of sorts and a little depressed. Afraid it could happen again and he doesn't want to open his eyes to find it not done again. I'm sad I won't get my surgery next week as I had planned so I'm bummed. :( So I guess the moral of my story is to take your meds as ordered to the exact letter. Wishing all of you much luck and smooth sailing.

Thanks for sharing. You both must be very disappointed. Your turn will come... it was so considerate of you to give your guy your appointment! Soon enough, you'll both be here telling us how your surgery went and how you're healing. :)

Sorry to hear about the delays. Glad the news is good and you can both move onto the surgery as planned. How amazingly generous of you to give up your spot for him. I hope they consider that when rescheduling yours and speed up the process for you. :)

Having unknown heart health conditions can come as a set back. Thank goodness he procedure was not in progress during the afib experience. It could've been devastating. My prayers to you both

I am sorry for all the difficulty you both experienced, but I guess the positive outcome is that he is cleared for surgery and will still get to have it very soon. Hopefully you won't have to wait long for a second surgery date. And hopefully everything goes smoothly for your husband next week!

The silver lining is it was just the medication and not anything serious. Your day will be here before you know it! Good luck!

did not feel safe performing the procedure - moral of story take your meds as ordered to the exact letter.

@Greeneyes123

what a story!!! sorry hubby had to learn the hard way

his heart rate went up etc. etc. - it was smart/necessary for them to stop under the circumstances

so disappointing though :(

good that they "hospital" double checked everything to make sure there wouldn't be any problems in having the WLS

better safe than sorry

I can't even imagine how your hubby felt after realizing he didn't have surgery!!!!

you are a sweetie giving up your DOS for him!!! :)

as far as your WLS is concerned

i agree with @@dropdeadweightdiva that under the circumstances, doc office might try and move your surgery up sooner than later

good luck to both of you

kathy

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I will let you know how it goes on his new day 10/1. Hopefully it will be uneventful this time. I was able to get mine reset for end of October so not too far out. Back to counting down the days....

Edited by Greeneyes123

his new day 10/1. Hopefully it will be uneventful this time. mine is reset for end of October

@@Greeneyes123

so his surgery is one week from tomorrow (wednesday)

good wishes for successful surgery - and speedy recovery with no problems

as for you lady -_-

i repeat from earlier

i think you are aces sacrificing your date to give your hubby

i'm sure he is very thankful

he is married to a special loving lady :rolleyes:

hard to wait another 5 weeks for WLS <_<

counting days down with you ;)

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It" ;)

good luck and health to you both :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Thanks for sharing your story. That was so scary but Glad to know he's ok and best wishes in his upcoming surgery. The good news is you will have yours too-just a little later than expected,

I haven't had my surgery yet but I do have AFib...thank you for sharing your story as I will be very mindful to make sure I follow the instructions about my medication. Please do keep us posted.