Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Plication Weight Loss Surgery in L.A. area

Has anyone had surgery with Donald Waldrep in Thousand Oaks, CA? He performs gastric plication (but he calls it a WRAP) Los Robles Hospital had an article in a magazine that said the surgery is appropriate for lower BMI patients (like 30 lbs overweight) and that it is less invasive, outpatient, etc. If anyone has had the procedure with Dr. Waldrep, can you let me know how the surgery went? Thanks.

YES! I had plication surgery with Dr. Waldrep. I love, love, love him!! I kept putting off the surgery (I actually cancelled my first one 48 hours prior to my first scheduled date.) He was never impatient or pushy and took tons of time answering my questions. I am 5 months out and at my target weight. My recovery was pretty easy. I went home the same day and slept until the next morning. When I woke up, I felt tired, but no pain. Over the next couple days, I had some reflux and was a little tired, but still no pain. On day 4, I walked two miles with the dog. I'm not sure what he does that is different, but his patients seem to recover quickly without complications. I know he also does other types of surgeries like sleeve, band, etc., but based on my experience, I would do plication with Dr. Waldrep.

I live in Thousand Oaks, but had my surgery done by Helmuth Billy in Ventura. He's got a very long track record, and came highly recommended. I asked Dr. Billy about having plication without the band, and he said the success is not as great; they've found a much better outcome when combining the two.

Don't know that I answered your question, but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth :-)

Edited by mrsto

I thought about that, but the whole reason I wanted plication is that I didn't want a foreign object in me. My best friend had the band and had to get it removed. It worked for her, but she was miserable and it eventually gave her ulcers so she didn't have a choice. For me, the plication alone worked fine.

I totally get it.... I wanted the least invasive procedure possible. But I only wanted one procedure, and went with the one I felt was best for me. With any of these surgeries, the true test is long term. The first 10 months to a year was a lot easier than it is now. Old habits die hard; or don't die at all. We still have to learn to control what we take in. At a year and a half out, I've learned how to cheat the surgery when my NEED to eat overrides anything else. I'm thankful that I did have the plication with the band, because each part works independently of the other, so I have that much more working for me. But at this point, it's more of a struggle than it was in the beginning. The same goes for each and every one of these surgeries. It still all boils down to our heads.

As for having major surgery; less invasive or not, it's a lot to go through for only 30 pounds..... Just my opinion.

I had gastric plication with Dr Waldrep on April 3. I feel great and my incisions are healing beautifully. I had a great recovery and have lost 15 pounds since surgery (18 days out). I am very happy so far.

Dr. Waldrep just did my plication two weeks ago. He was great and I feel remarkably well. He also spent as much time with me as I needed and certainly provided answers to my questions. I'm very confident in his ability and know that he has a good reputation.