Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is silly... but I gotta rant

I like to pop in on this forum and get tips, advice, provide support where I can, but it DRIVES ME CRAZY to read multiple posts where I see the following:

How much can I LOOSE?

When will I LOOSE weight?

Will eating ____ make me stop LOOSING?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

People... the word is LOSE!! LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE!!! ACCCCKKKKK!

Ahhhhh. I feel SO much better now. Thanks for letting me get that off of my chest.

:D

I will agree to politely disagree. Grammer and punctuation used to bother me, but the older I get, the less I care. But I do think that different ways of speaking and spelling and typing make me have to read some things over a couple of times. My biggest gripe is texting abbreviations, but I will admit that having to look them up expands my horizens a bit. My biggest fail, per the OP (see, I learned something!) is that I never do a spell check - ever. Since you brought up spelling, I will try to remember to spellcheck. Thanks for the nudge.

O K, which one of the task bar icons is the spell check?

@@MissMac - Do you not get squiggly red underlines on some words when you type? For instance, under "grammer." ;) I do and can right click and select the correct spelling of the word. But I'm not sure if maybe that's a function of my browser or my operating system and not universal.

Overall, I am not a grammar nazi, but this one thing DRIVES ME NUTS!!!! :lol:

I agree with loose vs lose. The use of the wrong word/spelling drives me crazy. That said, i apologize in advance for my typos. I tend to post from my phone so don't always catch them right away.

LOL!

You should see my list!

The local network news shows and reporters, not to mention the news editors, fear my emails. Not only do those "professionals" too often fail to spell, punctuate and write correctly, but they mispronounce the most common English words.

Ex-specially?!

Real-a-tor?

Nu-cu-lar?

Ex-presso?

If those guys and the state's Department of Transportation and all the billboard companies would just get their acts together, I could relax.

It's hard being us.

:rolleyes:

Edited by VSGAnn2014

When I am typing text documents independent of this website, I get the red and green squiggley marks, but not so on bariatricpal.com. In my Word program, I can open REVIEW and click on the checkmark icon for spelling and grammar, but I just do not see that here. What am I missing? When I hit the arrow to exand the task bar for more options, it closes out my response.

your vs. you're

their vs they're vs there

when to use "me" and when to use "I"

I have my OCD about it and I'm comfortable with it. It's mine, I own it.

Lose vs. loose is my only spelling and/or grammar peeve on this forum. I see other misspellings(had to look this one up :P) and I easily overlook them, but the "I'm not loosing weight" type comments seem to grate on my nerves too.

tmf

It's funny b/c those things don't bother me as much. I think it comes from living with 5 boys who mainly text and use words like Hey and Yo all the time.

I also think there are some people who are native to our language and grammar goes totally out the window in those instances. Trust me having to conjugate verbs and getting the spelling and grammar correct in my Spanish and Italian classes was a killer for me! It never stopped people from understanding what I was trying to say, even if they did chuckle or smile at me like I was a total dope :)

I'm a fairly good speller but I sometimes this phone has a mind if it's own. It always changing my "to" to "too" on me. I try to go back to fix the auto correct but someone I forget

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I just read it and felt the need to contribute. I've recently joined several Facebook trading posts, and I'm stunned at the number of people who don't know the difference between sell and sale. People are always posting things like "I need to sale this item today" or "blue bicycle for sell."