Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Me and my mother are both getting vsg

are you both having it at the same time? do you live together? is anyone else living with you both?

We live together I have the basement apartment my mother lives upstairs with her bf and my little brother yes we're having it at the same time and so far my mothers insurance might have her wait longer but we plan to have the surgery around or at the same time ....

i think it's going to be easier for you two, if you eat your meals together. misery loves company, right? :) as far as both of you recuperating at the same time, i hope her boyfriend and/or your little brother are the helpful types.

some people do this without anyone helping out the first few days, but i'm thankful i will have someone home to help out. that's the only thing i can think of in answer to your question.

How great it is that you are going into this together! I agree that having support in the household will be your strongest advantage above anything else. You can practice now with high Protein meals and ways to modify old favorites into something more nutritious so that you won't feel so deprived while adjusting to your new healthy lifestyle.

You will learn so many new culinary skills on this journey that you will be amazed at yourself. You will become what is called a "nutitarian". Meaning that everything you eat must have some redeeming nutritional value in it. You may sneek a taste of a cheat now and then, but frankly, you will just not have the digestive real estate for much more than what you should be eating anyway.

Once you get that first 30 or 40 pounds off, you will start feeling a vitality that you have not felt in a long time. I think that is my greater goal more so than reaching my goal weight on the scale. I want to reach that healthy vitality that I have not felt in over thirty years. I am so glad that you are entering into this process at a young age rather than consuming the best years of your life with yo-yo dieting. Good for you, and congratulations to Mama, too.

I had to giggle at your response of "Ty" to the previous poster. As an older person who was not raised as a texter, I sometimes have to think real hard or look these things up in an urban dictionary. I guess it keeps me on my toes! Welcome to the forum.....you will find friends here.

Its great that you will be able to support each orher. I have seen some posts from mothers and daughters on these boards so you may want to reach out to them for their experiences.

The only thing that I would suggest is that you both will need to resist the urge to compare your recovery and progress to each other too much. So many folks on these boards seem to drive themselves crazy by comparing their journeys to other people. Since you both are different ages and have different starting places you will have different experiences and results.

Best of luck to both of you!

My brother and I had ours a day apart last week! Be sure to have someone help y'all around the house! He doesn't live with me but for the first couple of day after surgery we both stayed at my dad's house! It's awesome to have someone close to you that u can compare the healing process with. Just be in mind that though you are related, your bodies may be different. Meaning your mom may be up and walking around like my brother was way before you. It took me a few days longer to be able to walk around the block or get out and move around whereas my brother was up and at it his second day home!! Good luck to y'all!

Congratulations, you can be each others support group! Just follow the doctor's orders and you will do fine. I had the band, my wife had VSG. It has worked out really well for her, and i am sure you will be equally successful and happy.

I had no one to help me my first days at home and I sure wished I had help. a few friends would get groceries but I had no permanent assistance. see if your family can help or you can hire someone. and get a couple of those grabbers that help reach things, you will thank me every time you dont have to bend over. love and good luck, sara

that would be great for the both of you. for you both to keep motivating each other. if same time, you could share preparing foods that you need.

That is wonderful news! It is awesome to have a partner who is in it with you! My husband and I were banded at the same time, well three days apart and we were able to recover together and we "get" each other when it comes to eating and choices about exercise etc. It would be so much harder if I didn't have him at home on the same page with me...and vs.versa for him I'm sure.

Kudos to you and your Mom I wish you all the best!