Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I CANT DECIDE BETWEEN BYPASS OR THE SLEEVE.

I'm having the worst time trying to figure out what surgery to have. I have my surgery date set for the

8th of October but I'm more confused that ever PLEASE HELP..

Any advice will be greatly Appreciated... Thanks

I had the same issue... I finally chose the sleeve

I went with a bypass because I already had bad GERD, and the sleeve has been known to increase the amount of reflux you have. Also, according to my doc, bypass patients lose weight faster, and on average lose 10% more weight than sleeve patients do. It was an easy choice for me when I heard about the decreased GERD with bypass, as I had been miserable for years with my GERD. My surgery was 5/10/14, and I haven't had an issue with GERD since then. Good luck on whichever decision you make. I'm sure you will do fine with either.

I also went with the bypass for the same reason. I'm scheduled for the 26th-next friday. Originally had my heart set on the sleeve

Good luck and thanks for the advice:) The part that has me going back and forth is with the Sleeve it cuts out the hormones that make u want food. Does bypass do the same thing?

My understsnding is that the rny cuts out the hormone the same as the sleeve. But I believe the added benefit to the RNY is because there is a difference between head hunger and stomach hunger there is additional consequences to making the wrong choices. I had totally decided on the sleeve until I read all the posts of sleevers to bypassers and when I did talk to my surgeon he recommended the bypass because of my type2 diabetes. It is a very hard and personal decision. Good luck and remember no matter which one you choose you have given yourself a gift.

My understsnding is that the rny cuts out the hormone the same as the sleeve. But I believe the added benefit to the RNY is because there is a difference between head hunger and stomach hunger there is additional consequences to making the wrong choices. I had totally decided on the sleeve until I read all the posts of sleevers to bypassers and when I did talk to my surgeon he recommended the bypass because of my type2 diabetes. It is a very hard and personal decision. Good luck and remember no matter which one you choose you have given yourself a gift.

thank goodness

Thanks for the advice I have another appt tomorrow:)

Edited by UrCaliGirl

Hi all. I am stuck between these two options also. My bariatrician recommends the RNY, but I am somewhat scared of that procedure. I was planning on having the gastric sleeve, until I met with her and she made her recommendations. Now I don't know what to do. I am looking for help from anyone who has been in this position. Thank you.

I had trouble deciding as well, I ultimately went with the bypass. I choose the bypass because there IS the limit of the pouch, and trust your body will signal to you when you're near. Should you'll decide to ignore, you'll suffer with dumping syndrome. DS is soo not cool! In time, you'll know your limit. I'm nearly 7 months out, and my doc said I've done extremely well.

Best to you.

​I had the same issue trying to decide which to have. My surgeon said I was a good candidate for either one. I did a lot of research and went to support meeting and spoke to people who had the surgery and I ended up going with the sleeve. I ultimately chose the sleeve because I didn't want to have the Vitamin deficiencies down the road and also because RNY works by restriction as well as malabsorption, i didn't want issues when I got older. I have a friend that did the RNY that now has to have blood transfusions every few weeks. I'm kinda young (34) and just dont want any of the issues that come with it. Also the fact that when you get older or sick, it's always a challenge to find a medicine as your body don't absorb normally. I had the sleeve on 9/23 and so far so good. Down 19 lbs as of yesterday from my surgery date.

I went into this journey set on bypass. I like that there's a lot of history behind it and I also have a friend who had it about 9 years ago, who has been a great support person.

BUT, now I'm seriously considering the sleeve... I like that there seem to be fewer potential complications and the hospital stay is shorter. My surgeon also most often does the sleeve...

I hope to have more clarity after I meet with the surgeon in October.