Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared to death

:help: i am desprite for support. i am 1 week 4 days post-op. i ended up with Fluid in the lining of my band last wed the nurse took out 4cc. i can barly get anything down i don't know how much i should be having. i have already experienced liquids getting stuck it is horrible my chest kills my ribs hurt worst of all i get anxiety from it when it has happened. i am supposed to be starting pureed food on thursday yeah right i can't even get a smoothie down. and i don't know if this is normal but i am noy hungry whatsoever somebody could be eating ribs and Pasta in front of me and i don't care or want it. i am scared to death of this band am i alone? how long will it take me to get over this? i really need some help i don't even know what a portion size is for liquids i am worried that i will get dehydrated again or that i am not getting enough nutrients in my body besides my nurses and surgeon i have no one who can understand where i am coming from. i don't want to tell my family this cause most of them didn't agree with it in the first place. how do i get over being so scared and i am only 1 week 4 days post-op:cry please help:help:

thanks

missyr

hi helen i ened up at the surgeons last wednesday exactly 1 week after surgery. the nurses took out 4cc of liquid and said that should do it. well it helped but i don't know if what is happening is normal since my sugery was not even 2 weeks ago. i don't want to complain if this is normal. i see them for my follow-up on wednesday. but my god i am still mostly weak so i don't know if i am just pushing myself to much. but i thought by now i would be able to get more down especially if i am supposed to be starting puree on thursday i guess i am confused.

thanks helen

missyr

It's not exactly normal, what you are experiencing, but it sounds like something that can be controlled. Make sure you call your doctors with anything you are concerned about, regardless of how silly you might think it is.

Many of us feel awful for 3 or 4 weeks after our surgeries, and others are in the gym a week later. It is definitely case by case. just make sue you keep yourself very hydrated and use liquid Vitamins and liquid Protein as much as you can tolerate (SMALL SIPS A FEW MINUTES APART). And keep us posted!

I'm just trying to figure out where they got 4cc of Fluid from. Was that the fluid in your band after surgery? What size band do you have?

Hi, Missyr! I was scared of mine in the beginning, too. That's hard enough to admit to other bandsters, never mind your family, especially if they weren't particularly supportive of the decision in the first place. Don't worry, though, that passes pretty quickly...

You said that you're pretty weak...How much Protein are you getting in every day? If you're not getting in 60 or so grams of Protein in a day, that could be the cause of your weakness. If you find the Protein shakes too thick, you can thin them down with some skim milk (which also has protein) and drink them that way.

Your surgeon should be made aware of what you're going through. You said you have a follow up on Wednesday....WRITE down (don't try to remember) all your questions for your doctor. He won't think you're silly for bringing in a list, and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to address all your concerns.

Hang in there, you're still in the healing process, and there is still swelling around the band in your stomach, and especially since you've already had an unfill. That always causes some swelling as well. Did they put some saline in your band during surgery? If so, how much? When they took the 4cc's out, was that ALL of it, or is there still some in there?

Welcome to bandland, and keep us updated on how you're doing!

hey well the nurses said they prime the line at the time of surgery they said most people don't even notice it. i thought wow 4cc of Fluid. i am weeks away from a fill. i really don't think that i will be able to managa pureed food by thursday noit even hungry. i will do what travelgrl suggested and sip sip just get some protien and broth in but not very much will go in. important thing is to keep hydrated. i am getting so frustrated. i e-mailed my nurses like you guys suggested i told them what was going on they usually get in touch pretty quickly. i am just scared.

thanks

missyr

:help: i am desprite for support. i am 1 week 4 days post-op. i ended up with Fluid in the lining of my band last wed the nurse took out 4cc. i can barly get anything down i don't know how much i should be having. i have already experienced liquids getting stuck it is horrible my chest kills my ribs hurt worst of all i get anxiety from it when it has happened. i am supposed to be starting pureed food on thursday yeah right i can't even get a smoothie down. and i don't know if this is normal but i am noy hungry whatsoever somebody could be eating ribs and Pasta in front of me and i don't care or want it. i am scared to death of this band am i alone? how long will it take me to get over this? i really need some help i don't even know what a portion size is for liquids i am worried that i will get dehydrated again or that i am not getting enough nutrients in my body besides my nurses and surgeon i have no one who can understand where i am coming from. i don't want to tell my family this cause most of them didn't agree with it in the first place. how do i get over being so scared and i am only 1 week 4 days post-op:cry please help:help:

thanks

missyr

You should be able to hold one ounce of Fluid at a time. Try slowly sipping an ounce every 15 minutes, DONT use a straw, make sure fluids are room temp (not real cold or real hot). you need 48-64 oz fluid a day. Your protien drink and Water and Clear Liquids all count toward that goal. Keep track of each ounce you drink. Dont worry about Vitamins right now, just concentrate on drinking the ounce of fluid every 15 min. Also, you should be urinating every couple of hrs or so and that will show you are getting enough fluids.

hey mamalee thanks for your advice i will do just that i just wasn't sure what was going on. seems like everyone is ahead of me. its been almost 2 weeks and today was the first time i went out walking. with the Fluid in the ling that had to be removed and the dehydration and so much swelling its been frustrating. i still don't thimk that i will be able to go to puree food on thursday. but i have an appointment with my surgeon on wednesday so i will see what they say untill then just sip sip sip

thanks so much

missyr

hey mamalee thanks for your advice i will do just that i just wasn't sure what was going on. seems like everyone is ahead of me. its been almost 2 weeks and today was the first time i went out walking. with the Fluid in the ling that had to be removed and the dehydration and so much swelling its been frustrating. i still don't thimk that i will be able to go to puree food on thursday. but i have an appointment with my surgeon on wednesday so i will see what they say untill then just sip sip sip

thanks so much

missyr

It sounds like you had a rough beginning but everyone is different so dont feel like you're behind!! I used an excellent bariatric center here and they made sure I knew exactly what I needed to do and needed to expect. They got me started in the hospital and had me on liquids right after surgery--1 oz every 15 minutes all day when I was awake. The next day I started sugar free pudding and protien drink--same thing. They didnt send me home until they knew I was keeping it down okay. I have been careful to go slow and to burp between sips if neccessary. (Air bubbles can cause pain if they pass through your new opening.) Also I have Water by my bedside to sip at night after I get up to use the bathroom, etc. I wish you the very best for your new journey