Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 1 yr post op-willing to mentor :)

@@PrettyWingz

It's natural to be nervous. We all were nervous at one point prior to surgery, or spent the majority of that time being nervous over the relatively dramatic change that is about to happen. Best advice is to do your research on your team of medical experts. The more comfortable you are with them the more it will help you with your nerves. If you have questions, write them down and ask. I do think researching the surgery itself is important as long as you don't find yourself seeking out horror stories. We all know that there are possible complications with every surgery and bariatrics is no different. So if you are satisfied with your surgeon, trust that and ask him about his personal complication rate, etc..

I will help you as much as I can based on my own experiences and wholeheartedly believe that this surgery was the best decision I have ever made to ensure my long term health and happiness!

Edited by dropdeadweightdiva

Well for those of you still following the thread... Plastics here I come, goodness help me. Yes I will post before and after pics, but not until after the surgery. I am having an inverted T incision Tummy Tuck with NO muscle tightening. Why go through the surgery without tightening? Well I am one of the lucky ones to have the surgery covered here in Alberta. My surgeon waivered on whether or not I should qualify, even with consistent rashes developing, back pain and abdominal cramping during exercise.. He said it's still mainly cosmetic... We disagree, but I smiled and said nothing.. I didn't complain or react strongly when he told me no coverage. I did ask the cost though.

He was very surprised at the sheer volume of excess skin I am carrying around on my abdomen. He went on and on and on about it, playing with it like he was a child surrounded by a mountain of playdough.. It was pretty funny all round.

He decided that I should in fact qualify as he stared at the picture he took for his own reference after he told me it would cost me $10 000...

I never cried on the hour long drive after I found out I had kidney cancer, I cried all the way home this time. I was soooo happy, am sooo happy about having this done. On that note he did specify that he was not going to tighten any muscles.. To be honest I was relieved to hear it as I understand that the muscle tightening makes for a more painful and longer recovery. Now I just need to bust my ass with weight training, planking, etc between now and early July so I am as strong as I can be before going in.

Went for a walk with my hubby last night and holy crap have I slacked off over the last couple months so the weather is nice now and the excuses need to stop!!!! Self lecture over.

I did decide that I am very likely not having my bat wings done in the future. I think this one is my swan song for elective surgeries. I am simply getting too old for this shi*. I said 'I', if someone else my age, or older, desires plastic surgery for those things they can live with, more power to them, but I am almost over that hump.. pun intended.

@@ethan4109

The gas from surgery can radiate as it disperses and show up as back pain. But my strong suggestion would be to see your surgeon. There are post op complications that can present as back pain. Sometimes it can show up as your body adjusts to a new center of gravity, but considering how recently you were sleeved I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. It could also be something entirely unrelated to the surgery. I spent a good portion of my life dealing with lower back issues and still sleep with a body pillow between my knees, now out of habit not necessity. I wish I could give you a definitive answer and ways to treat, but it's not something I have any experience dealing with post op. Make a call, see what they say and if you do not have aftercare then make an appointment with your primary doc.. Always best practice post major surgery to consult professionals. Good luck. I hope you find an answer and relief very soon.

Drop dead diva- I was wondering when u were diagnosed with kidney cancer. Was it before or after wt loss surgery. I am scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery on 6-1-15. Last year I had my right kidney removed bc of cancer. I am a bit hesitant to have at loss surgery bc of the kidney ca. Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello all.....brand new here 6 days post op. And I think all I should be doing is sip sip sip right? Start day 7 tomorrow and I think full liquid. Im not sure really what im supposed to be drinking. Pointers would be accepted. Also...not sure how to do my profile on here. I tried adding a photo but nope...wouldnt load. So...here's where i stand. May 11, 2015 sleeve done...wt 263#. Today wt 247# that was quite impressive but kinda feel like im cheating or something. I know im not its hard really. I am having trouble getting 64oz down and meeting Protein goals. Help!!! Please

@@chichicanegrito@gmail.com

I apologize for the late reply, life's been a little crazy lately.

Let me be very clear, you can relax :), you can not stretch your sleeve with fluids. It is so important to prioritize fluids early on and sip often. i do know a few people that could chug fluids almost as well as they did pre-sleeve, but it is certainly not recommended and for most makes one very uncomfortable. A this stage of the game you have likely adapted to how fast or slow your tummy needs you to drink. Just keep an eye on how fast you are drinking and if you need to use an app to slow down or a timer than do so.

@@cookieh

I had my right kidney removed in October of 2011 while I was pregnant with my son. I was pre-sleeve which came in November of 2013. Honestly it seems so long ago I kinda forget sometimes. Oh yeah I only have one of those. I do have to be careful, as having been a type 2 diabetic before surgery, it would not bode well for all sorts of reasons to get it back, but having only one kidney does make it a higher risk issue. I was concerned about the volume of Protein that you need to get post op as the experts talk about high protein diets being hard on your kidneys. I quickly discovered that what I need to take in doesn't even rank or exceed my previous intake of protein. I am allotted 67grams daily and would easily blow that out of the Water prior to my surgery. What qualifies as a high protein content diet and therefore a concern to those with kidney issues or just one of them is a lot higher than this surgery will need. If you want to be a body builder and look into that kind of lifestyle where you are drinking the muscle building style of Protein Shakes than you need to greatly up your research and be careful. I know other post ops who are allowed up to 85 grams so depending on where you fall in regards to your age height weight etc I will be very surprised if it's much higher than that and therefore still well below any concerned amounts :) Still best decision ever!!!

@@cookieh

Good luck on Monday I have no doubt you will do great!!!!

Hi, I am post op 5 1/2 mths. I have lost only 38 lbs., & haven't lost any in 2 mths. I need some help.

Hi there, I had my surgery April 23, 2015, and am having a bit of a depression streak. Is this normal? It's really affecting me emotionally and even pyhsically!

Need a Mentor

I would love to have help on this journey. I had my sleeve done in October 2014 in Maine and since I have moved to Florida. I cannot find any support groups close, and my weight is just at a dead halt. Getting so frustrated. I will take all the support I can get. I don't know a lot of people here yet, but sure wish a support group could be found, I am I. Zephyrhills, and if anyone is here that is near it would be awesome. I am looking for buddies and advise on what to eat and how to eat, good thing is I do drink my Water, pretty good with that. I would love to hear from help. Thanks for the ear to hear. Thanks Donna

Need a Mentor, Buddy , friend, anyone

I just posted but am again, I sometimes lose my way on these forums SOS email works for me too. Mammysm@ aol.com. Thanks Donna