Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Side Pain 17 mo post op

I started having left side pain shortly after eating or drinking on my left side right under my rib cage. At first I thought it was gas, but it's after everything I eat or drink. It is not severe pain, but just different &akes me worried. Sometimes it's on my side, sometimes more to the front or back. 3 months later it's still there, ct scan showed no abnormalities. No diahrea or throwing up. Has anyone else had this problem?

I see here that you do not have a response yet. Just prior to my surgery, I was in the hospital for eight days with left side pain under the ribs, but my was an issue with ischemic colitis. When I had gallbladder trouble, the pain was on my right side under the ribs and under my shoulder blade in the back. Since the CT did not show anything at the moment, I would just stay in tune and keep a notebook about symptoms and timing. I am glad you had the CT scan. Sometimes it is comforting to know what something is not. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi

I had something similar. At the exam I was asked some questions. For example, is it related to when you eat? Or does it come on at anytime? Is it sharp pain, or dull pain, or both? Does it effect breathing? Any fever?

It could be intestinal. I had similar symptoms at 3 - 4 weeks post op. Ended up I need a laxative. But before that I was kind of freaking out thinking leak.

What ever the case, don't stop bugging your surgeon. You shouldn't be having pain like that and they need to keep looking until they find the cause. They did a CT, did they do a swallow study?

Sometimes, I wake up with the pain. It's more of a dull pain. It's almost always 10 min or so after I eat or drink. My bowels are moving, no diarrhea. I usually have has with it. The ct was normal & my medical doc just ran blood work & it was normal. I left my surgeon a message, but they are so busy & 3 hrs away. I wish I could trust local people to treat me, but I fear they won't know what to look for.

I have the same thing. Started a week ago when I was two weeks out. Cramping and pain after I eat or drink anything. It has gotten worse this week where I am taking 1/2 muscle relaxer and back on my pain meds. It feels like the food/ liquid hit the entry if the stomach and can't go in. It cramps and then slowly enters the stomach. I then have pain as it sits in the stomach. This is my assumption. I have been taking Miralax daily got an early Constipation issue, but have had no problems with that recently. I am scared I gave a stricture or infection

I would definitely share with your doctor. With only being a few weeks out you could have a complication. You may need to do a swallow study just to be on the safe side.

Yes I talked with the nurse and she said if not better by Monday I would be scheduled for a swallow study. I am really scared

Hey how did you make out with your tests? It's several days later, I hope you no longer have pain!

Edited by taylokat

I hope you feel better!

Edited by taylokat

Thanks Taylokat! I am doing better on liquids only. I still have one little catch under my left rib, but no more cramping. I am going to stay on liquids another week before I start on soft foods again. If the problem returns I will call for a swallow study.

How are you doing?

All of my tests came back normal. The doc said it could be something Gastro. I've determined that it is gas pain, not sure if I'm swallowing too much air or if something else is going on. I was very relieved that it was nothing to do with my sleeve.

I had pain on my left side started two weeks out from the sleeve. Thought it was just healing from the surgery by one month I could barely walk or lift my leg. Pain was unbearable. Aster several phone calls to surgeon and appts, Surgeons finally sent me for CT. Showed severe diverticulitis. Spent several days in the hospital with iv antibiotics. Now gastro dr says it is possible that my intestines were perforated during surgery causing diverticulum.