Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to take vitamins?

So my NUT wants me to start taking all the Vitamins I'll be taking after surgery...2 chewable multis, 2 Calcium citrates and 1 B12 that goes under the tongue. My question for the group is...do you take your vitamins all at once or spread throughout the day? Does it make any difference if you take them in the AM or PM? Just wondering....

I would take the B12 in the morning or you may have a hard time sleeping. Maybe take the multi and the Calcium after a meal. Multivitamins that I take on an empty stomach make me kind of sick. I take a handful of the flinstone Gummy Vitamins now and all of my blood work is good. The pill form of Multivitamins made me nauseous before the sleeve, but it was way worse afterward. And..gummies taste good. :)

I haven't had the surgery yet but I take a Multivitamin and several other supplements and I find them most beneficial in the morning or around lunch because they tend to give me a boost. Take them with a meal because some will make your stomach hurt if its empty.

My multivitamin(Celebrate chewable) has Iron which I take one in the morning and one in the afternoon and I take 1500 mg of Calcium (Bariactric Advantage caramel chewable)which is divided 3 times a day.. I was told by my doctor and NUT to take the calcium two hours after Multivitamin to prevent the calcium and Iron from binding together becuase they will not be effective.

I take my Vitamins when I can remember. Which for me might be at Breakfast, or a lunch, or 10 minutes before bed. LOL. I take one prenatal as opposed to two regular multis (not that I am pregnant but I'd rather take one pill than two and the NUT suggested we could take a prenatal). Vitamin D and B12 all in pill/capsule form. I started out with a chewable multi but all the rest of the Vitamins were pills. I'm not required to take any Calcium. I think the bottom line is for you to work out a schedule that works for you. Because they are only effective if you remember to take them! :)

I will say that this thread has reminded me to take my pills (Which I actually drag around with me in a sparkly pill case).

I take a multi, D3, B12, fishoil, Biotin and a probiotic first thing in the morning, calcium citrate chew about 9am, Iron about 11am, Calcium citrate chew about 3pm and another multi\fishoil before bed. Per my bariatric nurse, the key is to separate your extra calcium from your extra iron as calcium decreases iron absorption. For the same reason you separate the extra iron from your multivitamin as the multi contains calcium too.