Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Off limit foods after bypass

Ok I understand carbonated beverages...but Im hearing noodles and popcorn too. Can anyone give my their off limit foods?

Noodles are Pasta and that is a carb that I am never allowed again. Part of the reason I got to where I am

Try zucchini noodles

The only food I stay away from is soda. I have had a few cokes when I have had a bad headache, but it is not worth the pain in the tummy.

I am able to eat anything I want. I am 2 years post op.

Carbonated beverages forever. Sugar and simple carbs - white rice, white Pasta, white potatoes, white bread, anything made with white flour or rice flour (I don't tolerate products w/rice flour at all - they make me sick). My doc says nothing white is nutritious. Whole grains, brown rice, Beans, quinoa, and sweet potato are all acceptable and more nutritious. After eating Protein and veggies there's not much room for anything else anyway.

I have no problem staying away from sugar and simple carbs. Those were my trigger foods and are the main reason I became obese. If I avoid them I find I don't crave them. Also, I have no choice in the matter because I'm a dumper and it is a strong deterrent (dumping is one of the reasons I chose RNY). Rather than try to find a way to make them fit into my post op life, I'm choosing healthier options as part of my permanent lifestyle change. I love quinoa w/dried unsweetened cranberries, brown and wild rice cooked in broth, and a little sweet potato is so delicious it's almost like desert!

All on moderation right? I'd never comprimise my success eating noodles and popcorn, I'd just like to have (or rather taste) from time to time. Its the human element. I was under the impression popcorn was bad due to the kernels & the new pouch...

All on moderation right? ..

Right!! I think everyone is different. I have no issues with bread, Pasta, potatoes or rice. I don't eat a lot because I'm usually full after my Protein and veggies. But I'm not restricted.

I've had popcorn. It was the best choice at a recent college football game. But I wouldn't eat the stuff at the movies.

I've also had diet coke. I let it sit for a bit. My pouch doesn't mind it and it makes my brain feel like I'm "normal".

At nearly 5 months post op, I have not tried anything fried or anything that falls into the dessert category. Will I someday? Yes. It's about moderation. Is it the right time for me now? NOPE.

Right now the only consistent thing that my pouch doesn't like are strawberries.

Your new tummy will be the dictator of what your eating will be.. high Protein low Carb and sugar is what my doctor says do I stick to that every meal, no my tummy likes everything... should I be eating everything no I am a food addict (working on that) and I still have bad days. I don't how ever have soda but I have tried about every food I love just far far far less.

What is the word on chewing gum? My sister had the sleeve, and a good friend had lap

Band. They are forbidden to chew gum. How about those of us getting RNY?

No gum ever it causes reflux &eons digest.

The only thingI have not been able to tolerate is carbonation. I can eat anything just not much of it. I always begin with my Proteins and then move into fruits and veggies. I will have a bite of the so-called forbidden carbs. I have failed in the past by denying myself. A small taste seems to satisfy me. I am 6 months post surgery.

Oh yeah gum. I do chew sugar free gum. I just don't swallow it.

Does it give any problems with gas or gerd?

I wasn't given an "don't ever eat this" list, only a list of foods to avoid or limit, which includes alcohol. My surgeon's view is that as an adult, I have to decide to make better choices to assist this new tool. With that said, I do avoid high sugar and high carb foods, carbonated beverages (even sparkling water), and alcohol.