Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Been doing everything right. Today marks 3 weeks since surgery. Down 19 (that's with the 4 lb pre surgery shake diet loss) I just feel like it should come off FASTER. my dr seemed pleased. I've been at the gym 19 days straight. Not having more than 800 cal a day. Why isn't it falling off faster? I KNOW it's going to slow down as I get closer to my goal, which is why I assumed the first 30-40 would be quick! Am I a freak? It doesn't hurt in my stomach when I'm full anymore. Could it not be working? Sincerely, a neurotic Jew.

I felt the same way! But your body has it's own process, just remember that. Also your working out and muscle weighs more than fat. So your losing weight, but gaining muscle. Don't get discouraged and keep up the good work! :)

I lost 17 pounds at 7 weeks postop and I was thrilled. If you can't be happy with your rate of loss, then stay off the scale!!!! It's too bad someone gave you unrealistic expectations, because this surgery is a wonderful thing and you should be enjoying yourself. Seriously, you've lost 5 pounds a week and you're complaining? And just FYI, you will probably be hitting a stall soon, so I strongly recommend putting your scale away for at least a month.

Edited by Kindle

Kindle is sooo right!

But if you want to compare ....

I lost 11 pounds during the 9 weeks prior to starting my pre-op diet.

I then had a 14-day pre-op diet and lost 8 pounds.

I was sleeved on August 18 (that was 19 days ago) and have lost another 10 pounds.

So in the last 31 days that's a pre-op diet + post-op weight loss of 18 pounds and a daily weight loss of 0.55 pounds. I've never, ever lost that much weight that consistently in my whole life!

And you've lost a little faster than me (if I recall, your pre-op diet was shorter than mine).

I dunno if you can chalk up your anxiety to being neurotic or Jewish, but I think you've got some unrealistic expectations for WLS.

My surgeon told me that at my starting weight (BMI of 37 just before my pre-op diet started) I should expect an average weight loss during the first year post-op (depending on my activity level, age, individual metabolic rate, etc.) of 1-2 pounds/week. If I guesstimate I'll lose an average of 1.5 pounds/week, I'll lose 78 pounds in a year, which puts me a few pounds below my goal of 150.

I will be so tickled with that.

So be happy. Be realistic. Adjust your expectations.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Thanks everyone. I just needed that. I know that a healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week which I fully expect in the coming weeks...I am just being impatient. I've done this before and lost a lot quickly, but was miserable. I guess I should just enjoy this new ride where it's much easier this time to lose weight. Thanks for the reality check guys!

@@supercomik, fyi, you made me laugh. best wishes, another not-quite-so-neurotic jew.

Stop being such a freak.

Been doing everything right. Today marks 3 weeks since surgery. Down 19 (that's with the 4 lb pre surgery shake diet loss) I just feel like it should come off FASTER. my dr seemed pleased. I've been at the gym 19 days straight. Not having more than 800 cal a day. Why isn't it falling off faster? I KNOW it's going to slow down as I get closer to my goal, which is why I assumed the first 30-40 would be quick! Am I a freak? It doesn't hurt in my stomach when I'm full anymore. Could it not be working? Sincerely, a neurotic Jew.

Hi....I think everyone has given you very good advice. Since I am on the preop diet awaiting surgery next week, (did I actually say that? Surgery next week...yikes!) but I have obsessively researched people's long term weight loss with VSG. I am very impressed with the long term outcomes regardless of the short term, or monthly weight loss stats. I observed many who would only lose 2-4 pounds some months while losing 8-10 pounds other months. Guess what? They still reached their goal and then some. The long term result is all that matters. That is why I am definitely not going to weigh except once a month so I don't get discouraged. It's nice to hear that some lose a huge amount very rapidly but most don't. ....but it is a huge amount of weight if you compare it to what you would have lost without the surgery. Now this is just from my research as I haven't yet had the surgery, but please be patient with yourself. It is normal to want quick results but please remember that the end result AND the ability to keep it off is what we are all shooting for. Take it a day at a time and keep smiling cause you have a great little helper called the VSG. Good luck!

Hi....I think everyone has given you very good advice. Since I am on the preop diet awaiting surgery next week, (did I actually say that? Surgery next week...yikes!) but I have obsessively researched people's long term weight loss with VSG. I am very impressed with the long term outcomes regardless of the short term, or monthly weight loss stats. I observed many who would only lose 2-4 pounds some months while losing 8-10 pounds other months. Guess what? They still reached their goal and then some. The long term result is all that matters. That is why I am definitely not going to weigh except once a month so I don't get discouraged. It's nice to hear that some lose a huge amount very rapidly but most don't. ....but it is a huge amount of weight if you compare it to what you would have lost without the surgery. Now this is just from my research as I haven't yet had the surgery, but please be patient with yourself. It is normal to want quick results but please remember that the end result AND the ability to keep it off is what we are all shooting for. Take it a day at a time and keep smiling cause you have a great little helper called the VSG. Good luck!

How sweet of you to be so supportive and you're pre op! I know. I have taken myself OFF the scale (plus need a new one. Not a supermarket digital special that changes my weight depending on where I place it on my slanted hardwood floor....Manhattan is ROUGH kids.) I'm allowing myself to just feel the improvements in my body, however slight they are for now. End of this week I can go to strength training which should help. Best of luck to you and congrats!

Congratulations! You have reached "The Dreaded Week-3 Stall". It's perfectly normal and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or more. But don't worry -- after that, the weight will start falling off if you stick to your program. If you're interested, here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight like crazy!