Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jack's Big Road Trip and the Slime Dogs from Hell

You might think with "10 years" nearing in my postOp Adventures certain basics might be no longer an issue.

What does seem to be inescapable, is the incredible fickle nature of my Band, Symbiant....the Little Angel of the Silicon Fisssst......

Day 1 lunch stop: usually able to eat 1 egg, 1 bacon, 1 piece of toast. Not today....the Slimes took over after just a few nibbles.

Didn't think I made error of eating. Recovery in ~20 minutes.

Day 2 Breakfast on real sour dough pancakes. Able to eat 1 egg & 1 4" cake, plus 1/4 of second sourdough. Walked the thin line between the slimes & 'all is well'.

Day 3 breakfast on 1 bacon & a couple bites of granola. Almost made it without the slime pups visiting.

Day 3 lunch:

Small bit of battered 'fish & chips'. Didn't work well with a few nibbles, threw it away. On the other hand, the handful of tater tots were not a problem.

Day 4 dinner

most excellent Prima Vera Italian. Ate about 2 cups including a bit of angel hair Pasta & some shrimp. The broccoli buds were a bit too much but managed without slime dogs.

Day 5 lunch

small bean/cheese burrito. Odd this was the most wretched event of the trip. Took an hour to recover. And the same place and same pinto bean burrito that worked well for me Day 1.

In any case, the Observations of Modified eating really show me that some of my Old Bad Habits remain lurking.

Have a check up coming in a few weeks.

The challenge of eating while traveling is just as real for poor choices and inadequate chewing/etc as ever. It is easier to be distracted while traveling, hence this brief story.

Conclusion:

Good Nutritional Choices and Good Eating Mechanics can not be ignored just because you are on a road trip.

From My trip on a cruise, I had one lunch of three bites of salad and slimed for 20 minutes, I feel your pain. I now know why I am heavy...I eat too fast

I just know I have to keep tracking no matter what. I tracked on my vacation and it was essential to staying on course. Even if I make different choices while traveling, the accountability helps keep me out of denial and letting things snowball out of control. Your post is good for me to see today. It's a reminder that I will never graduate. And that our bands behave how they want to on any given day. Never dull, right?

Fickle is the word isn't it. I started a new strength training program two weeks ago. It's HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training. The first week I sort of went through the motions to familiarize myself with the routine. This week(Tues) I really pushed myself. It felt great. But, my body immediately started to regenerate torn muscle Fiber by retaining 4 lbs of fluids. I think some of the fluids went right to my stoma area. Wednesday I slimed all day every meal. Ended up just drinking most of the day.

It's all good now but I hear ya, nearly 3 years out and "Surprise", I'm(band) still here and you aren't going to forget about me!!

tmf

jack, what a wonderful post

it is not only educational but (funny) although not laughing at your sliming

thanks for sharing

thanks CG, welcome back, I missed your comments lately....

and don't take your eye off them burritos.....

I have been banded for almost 8 years. I can eat something one day and the very next day I try to eat the same thing.. And can't keep it down! The band has a mind of it's on no matter how long you've had it!

I'm just glad to read posts by VETERAN BANDERS...... Since we're in it for the long haul, it's so nice to know others as well. Slime today, gone tomorrow!!!!!!!

So glad to see veterans post about the fickle band. One irritant can stop me for 24 hrs. Nexium... Hot tea... Any other ideas to calm a restless band?

I love my band. It has been a wonderful tool. But, mine too can be temperamental.

Yep! I can eat my boiled egg one day and have to up chug it the next! I think it's because I eat too fast ! But warm tea is always good to calm things down.

Today I was so busy, I wasn't hungry and forgot to eat. By supper time I was hungry, but my band is saying no way. It's reassuring to know, I'm not in the "fickle zone" alone! I have noticed this same scenario happening before, wonder why??

one of the ways I can Be Sure to ride the SlimeBandit Express.....is to get TOO hungry and go TOO long....and regardless of how careful I may be, the Band is VERY touchy during those moments....sort of like a reverse Boa Constrictor.....instead of squeezing/crushing the victim, simply causing the Slimes....

There's a whole Chorus of Slime Puppies I haven't even written about yet.

I've still not seen much lately about "First Bite Syndrome".

Gosh that is a common theme. First food of the day. Yes or no today band?

I so agree about waiting too long to eat. Once my band gets irritated,I have to drink Protein Drinks sometimes .Just like Betty said and spoky gurl ......same food different day. Not sure if my band will be happy that day or not. BUT. I will! Food will wait a day. Never thought I would say that

Amazing how much time NOT planning. Shopping. Preparing. Eating. Clean up. FOOD.

HURRAH

Julie I am almost never in the grocery store anymore. I used to go once or twice a day. Once at lunch and once after work. Crazy.