Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

achy bones the more weight you lose?

so i know this may sound weird, but the more weight i lose, the more my bones ACHE! i'm down 57 lbs and my collarbones KILL ME, some days more than other.

i was wondering if anyone else dealt with an issue like this? i may mention it at my next doctors appt in october.

By the time I had lost the frist 30 pounds, all of my achy bones were feeling better. I do have some nerve damage (sciatica) big-time because my excess weight contributed to 14 herniated discs and the damage is done. My spine surgeon (who has already repaired four discs in my neck) has put off a full lumbar fusion for the past year, hoping that losing another forty pounds will make even more of a difference. So even a spine surgeon thinks that losing weight should bring relief.

However, my weight loss has slowed down and the nerve pain has picked up, so I will be calling him back after a visit to the pain clinic on the 8th. I am expecting to get the go-ahead for the lumbar fusion. Other than that, my everywhere bursitis has improved because their is so much less inflammation in my body. Same goes for diverticulitis....gone.

So, I hope you can find an answer for your particular situation and get some relief. I wish you good luck and good health.

Maybe it's because you're moving around a lot more now?

I don't know but I have been at goal for awhile and still have alot of aches and pains. Losing massive weight helped my health so much, but didn't solve this issue.

Your body has been so used to carrying a lot of weight it has to go through an adjustment period. I had no feeling between my shoulder blades or my left leg for a long time.

Get your Vitamin D and Calcium levels checked if you haven't already. I can tell my Vit d is getting low by how much I am aching. I take 50,000iu every other week. Also, don't accept the "it's 35 so it's normal" spiel from the docs. Optimal levels are 50+.

I was gonna suggest the same thing deedadumble-- as well as possibly thyroid/parathyroid hormone levels :)

I also have alot of residual issues from all the damage I did to myself. Plus the doctor told me that I was moving differently than before because the body is now so different and it will take time to get used to the 'new' way of walking and moving.

In spite of my damaged disc issue, I am standing and walking straighter because that ol' 53" belly isn't pulling me forward and down.

No. My aches and pains disappeared as I lost. But my butt has lost it's cushioning and hard surfaces hurt when I sit too long. Who knew butts had bones? Lol

I'm still achy. I get up and walk like a 90 year old until I'm stretched out. Seems moreso now though. Our surgeon won't do blood work until 6 mos post op. That's another 4 months away. ::sigh:: :( I'm going to ask our family dr to do blood work next month. I need my thyroid and hormone levels checked anyway. He can check vit D and vit B's while he's at it. I hate that our surgeon is waiting so long after to do them. :/

No. My aches and pains disappeared as I lost. But my butt has lost it's cushioning and hard surfaces hurt when I sit too long. Who knew butts had bones? Lol

This is driving me crazy lately! There are three chairs that I suddenly cannot tolerate. Two at home and one at my office desk. It's because my booty has less cushioning! I have to get up and move because it's so uncomfortable.

#skinny@$$b1tc#problems

Edited by JustWatchMe

I'm still achy. I get up and walk like a 90 year old until I'm stretched out. Seems moreso now though. Our surgeon won't do blood work until 6 mos post op. That's another 4 months away. ::sigh:: :( I'm going to ask our family dr to do blood work next month. I need my thyroid and hormone levels checked anyway. He can check vit D and vit B's while he's at it. I hate that our surgeon is waiting so long after to do them. :/

I saw my thyroid doc two days ago and he was pretty upset with me. My thyroid is waaaayyyy out of whack! I knew I couldn't eat for 1-2 hours after taking my Synthroid but NO ONE told me I couldn't take ANY of my Vitamins for FOUR hours after the Synthroid!!!! For a whole year I've been taking them all together in the morning - Synthroid, multi, D, B, and Biotin. My doc says I did everything possible to sabotage my thyroid meds. :-p

I never thought to ask and no one thought to inform me. Now I'm on a higher dose for two months and need to be retested after that. And I have to come up with a whole new Vitamin routine that starts four hours later in my day. I don't know how I'm going to manage to take all my Vitamins and three doses of Calcium now... :-(

I did not know the bit about the "no Vitamins either." And I've been taking levoxyl for over 30 years!

Thanks for posting this here.

Check your Vitamin D and Calcium levels witha blood test. Your doctor should be monitoring your blood. I do take Potassium for leg cramps and it seems to work for me. Bananas, cantaloupes all good potassium sources.