Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You can expect to have minimal to painful pain (all hopefully stabilized by meds) you will have gas pain. Just walk as much as you can. Day by day I promise you will feel better! If you feel like throwing up and the meds to reduce that are not working, perhaps your pain meds are making you feel sick. That's what happened to me. I'm here if you have more questions. I am a sleeve To bypass patients, so I've had them both! Good luck!

Oh, two weeks post op, down 13lbs

Edited by ortega07

Everyone on here is amazing. Ask plenty of questions, no one is too trivial.

I just had surgery and wondered the same thing. You will wake up in recovery and my experience was they woke me up and moved me to my room. Gave me nausea medicine through the IV and a button to push for pain. Once you are settled in bed, your family can come in. They gave me a sponge on a lollipop stick that I would wet my mouth. Nothing to drink till next day after leak test. Try to walk when you are able, helps with gas and circulation. Meds made me groggy.

I am 4 weeks post op so can only tell you what I know thus far. I had robotics RNY on 8/5. Was scared going in but as soon as they gave me the happy shot doing remember even going to sleep! Woke up and was very sick to my stomach - but that always happens every time I have ever had surgery. Once I got past that stage and was taken to my room I slept a little bit. Woke up and was AMAZED that I wasn't in very much pain. I got up and walked as soon as I could and continued to walk every hour I was awake. Never had gas pains and I thinks that is why. Didn't eat any of the "broth" but felt like the popsicles were a god send! Was sore but again not really in what you would call pain - so didn't have to ask for anything more than what they were giving me and didn't even ask for anything the following day. Was released on the 6th. For the first couple of days I was so afraid to put anything in my mouth but I forced a few shakes down (have not been able to drink them since first week! YUCK) and sipped on broth a couple of times a day. Have not really had any hunger - just eat because I know I have to.

Issues that I have had have all revolved around not being able to tolerate the shakes. I have tried so many different kinds in so many different ways but my gag reflex just says no. I have also had an issue with regurgitation of my food about 1/2 the time. Think I may have stricture and have put off going to Dr but finally called them yesterday to see about an upper GI cause I am tired of dealing with it!

I am tired a LOT but think that is also because of the lack of Protein - hope that will clear up once I am cleared on 9/11 for regular food! Other than those few small things I am amazed at just how easy this whole process was. My stomach doesn't feel like it was cut on - it’s just I don't hear from it like I used to! I am 20lbs down so far! I understand being scared about surgery - but I can tell you I have had 3 other abdominal surgeries and this was bar far the easiest of them all! Take the bull by the horns and ride the ride!

Well this is probably not the answer you are looking for but to be absolutely honest everyone is soooooo very different. Some people seem to just sail right through with little to no problems, some have minimal problems and others like myself experienced a few problems post op. None of this is meant to scare you but I wish I would have known. I was allergic to the pain med they gave me I the hospital, I had severe itching and they had to give me benedryl. With all of the IV antibiotics they gave me I developed a yeast infection. That wasn't fun either. I did not experience the gas pains, I did not have a drain, once they discontinued the pain pump it was difficult to take my meds crushed up. Yucky! The liquid pain med they have me gave me Migraines and all I could take to help was children's chewable Tylenol. I had trouble getting down enough fluids and Protein and still struggle from time to time. I had my surgery (sleeve) on August 25th. Things are getting better day by day some days being better than others. Oh BTW four days after surgery I weighed myself and I had gained 6 pounds, not being warned about the IV Fluid weight I was devastated. I vowed to stay off the scale. Bowel movements can be tricky and I usually only go once a week now. (Tmi). On the upside, it's over and I am trudging forward. I have to go back to work on Monday. I am still very very tired. So all in all all you can do is hope for the best. I have also read that some people have nausea and a stomach cramping when drinking their Protein Shakes or eater but I never had that. I am back at the YMCA walking 4 miles a day. Not quite where I used to be before surgery but day by day I am hoping to get there! Good luck on your journey!

Have you had surgery before? If so I think you know what you're in store for you not going to feel well for the first few days . I was lucky I've had two cesarean sections and a couple orthopedic surgeries so this surgery seems a lot easier than those. My worst problem is always the pain medications they make me feel very sick . If you are similar I would recommend progressing to liquid tylenol as soon as you can . This way you can avoid some of the side effects from the pain medications . And hopefully start feeling normal soon. I walked as much as possible after surgery like I was told . I felt normal after 6 days although I tired easily . I had my surgery on August 14th.

Edited by mg22fpb