Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Power!

Protein is IMPERATIVE to bariatric patients. And the great thing is we have so many options!

Once upon a time it was nearly impossible for a bariatric patient to keep their protein counts up. We were taught to only eat certain foods and to avoid others. chicken breast, lean beef, and fish was the rule of thumb. The problem with these foods was that several people had problems eating, swallowing, and digesting them. And we were told that once we hit a certain point, to avoid Protein Drinks as we needed to be eating our protein rather than drinking it.

Isn't it nice to know that times have changed? New research and information has given the bariatric patient so many more options on foods we can eat now to keep our protein levels where they should be. We are no longer restricted to the leanest cuts of meat, but are encouraged to try other cuts such as dark meat chicken, 80/20 or 90/10 ground beef, and (a personal favorite) BACON. Additionally, we are encouraged to eat eggs and shrimp, salmon and pork. And protein drinks (when done RIGHT) are no longer a no-no!

How Much Protein Do We REALLY Need and Why Is It So Important?

According to most surgeons and nutritionists, we need about 65-70 grams of protein daily. That goes up a little bit if you're recovering from surgery or are sick or pregnant (to about 85-90 grams). Protein is an essential building block of our bodies. When we're losing weight, especially, protein is one of the hardest working macronutrients on the planet. Beyond muscle building, it also helps strengthen our immune system, rebuilds tissue, and can even improve brain function. Additionally, when we lose weight, our bodies burn protein. When we're not getting enough protein, our body takes it from wherever it can get it - typically our body muscle. What's more, it can actually take muscle from our cardiac system!

How Can I Get My Protein?

Focusing on protein is the #1 concern of many bariatric patients. Of course, eating your protein is the very best bet. Focusing on protein foods with a high protein to fat ratio is the very best bet. Some of the best protein foods are egg whites, chicken breast, and shrimp. Although other meats, poultry, and seafood are also good options. cheese is another great choice as are nuts and seeds. Beans do give some protein, but many bariatric patients have issues with digesting them.

Another good option is the Protein Drink. Once only encouraged in the early phases after surgery, now many nutritionists and dietitians are encouraging the bariatric patient to include protein supplements in their daily diets. Most contain high (35+ g) amounts of protein, and leave you free to consume other healthy (and needed) foods later on such as vital fruits and vegetables.

The #1 suggested protein drink that nutritionists suggest is whey protein. It is, by far, the most digestible and assimilated protein on the market (that means your body can use it a lot easier than other kinds). Sadly, many people can't tolerate whey or stomach it. If this is the case, there are other options available that are almost as easily digested such as egg white protein or vegan (brown rice, pea, and hemp) Proteins.

If I'm Focusing On Protein, I Don't Have Room For Other Foods, HELP!

VITAMINS! You remember those Vitamins and Fiber supplements the doctor sent you home with? TAKE THEM. It's true that we often have to forgo fruits, vegetables, and whole grains when we're focusing on protein. That's why these supplements are so important to our lifestyle.

Remember The Basics!

The basics of our lifestyle don't change with time. We still need to remain focused on protein, Water, and our Vitamin supplements. Keeping these three things at the forefront of your mind will help ensure you successful weight loss, successful maintenance, and a successful lifestyle overall!

Oh I have such a hard time with the Protein powders. Last 2 days I have been vomiting them up. I am looking at the chicken one from the Unjury and some unflavored. I am finding some of the powders sickly sweet. :(. I am hoping the change may help. I recognize I "have" to try to get them in. I am hoping this change will make it easier. Is kind of weird I used to like sweet now . YUCK.