Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the hair loss stop?

I'll be 6 months out on September 11th and for the past two weeks ive been losing lots of hair. Taking Vitamins and doing what im suppose to. What have others experienced?

I was sleeved 11/18/13. hair loss started at 5 months, and still coming out. I am dealing with it. I lost hair around my face, and it thinned so much all over I had to cut my shoulder length hair short. My hair was very thin anyway. Biotin hmmmm I don't know what it does, but it does not prevent Hair loss and it sure hasn't helped with re-growth. I hope you and many others don't suffer the hair loss. I have a beautiful wig that is my best friend. Good luck!

Surgery, anesthesia and the severe restriction of food intake all add to the hair loss. Not a thing you can do about it unless you just don't have surgery. Everybody is different when it comes to when they start and stop losing the hair. Mine started at 3 months but has now quit at 6 months. Of course I added more red meat and fat to my diet in order to turn the Hair loss around. I used to have very thick hair but now it is very thin so I couldn't afford to lose much more. My weight loss has slowed down but I feel like my skin and hair look better. I suppose you have to pick what is most important to you. I want to lose a lot more weight but my appearance is important to me as well. I have a very high profile job and I'm required to work with people from a number of various agencies. I didn't want to look like I was a cancer patient. Plus I didn't tell anyone I worked with about my surgery so if I showed up with no hair they would think I had a major illness. I cut my hair and take it one day at a time and will just wait until it thickens up again

Thanks ladies. I should have mentioned in my original post too that I had to have an emergency appendectomy at the end of June, just about 3 1/2 months after my sleeve. I suppose with the two surgeries within that short of a time it has wreaked havock on my system. I have fine hair but have always been told I have a ton of it. My hair is a little longer than shoulder lenght and my husband can't really tell the difference but I sure can. Especially when I can wrap a scrunchie or rubberband around my ponytail several more times than I used to. I sure hope it slows down soon!!!!

Hang in there Nit4life, I too have thin hair and like you I also had a double whammy. I had emergency surgery 2 months prior to my sleeve surgery so I started losing hair quickly at about the second month after my sleeve surgery and it stopped between months 4 and 5. I lost a lot around my face and the rest is even thinner. I do think that after I started taking the Biotin the regrowth started moving faster. Not only that but my nails are growing faster too! Our bodies are all so different and handle stress in different ways. Good luck!

Thanks Sophie's choice! Yes my nails and eyebrow hair are growing just fine. I think, hope and pray that the hair on my head will stop falling out soon. I may give the Biotin a shot....seems as if some people say it works and others don't so much, guess like everything in life, will just have to find what works best for me. I read about Hair loss pre-surgery but hadn't had any issues until recently. I really think it has something to do with the double whammy appendix surgery.

I would say for me it ended completely around 8 months, and now at 1 year post op next week I definitely have regrowth coming in around my hairline and all over. It's more noticable around the hairline because I have these little sproutlets that can be kind of hard to control. :-)

@@livvsmum, I know exactly what you mean. When mine grew back, my friend said I looked like a Chia Pet!! And she was right, but I was so happy to see those babies sprouting up around my hairline!! It's still very thin along my hairline though, I doubt it will return. It's been 14 months and I've been using Rogaine for over a year. Planning to order some of that Toppix stuff, cause I absolutely hate seeing my scalp through my hair.

@@livvsmum, I know exactly what you mean. When mine grew back, my friend said I looked like a Chia Pet!! And she was right, but I was so happy to see those babies sprouting up around my hairline!! It's still very thin along my hairline though, I doubt it will return. It's been 14 months and I've been using Rogaine for over a year. Planning to order some of that Toppix stuff, cause I absolutely hate seeing my scalp through my hair.

Bittersweet, this sounds like me. The Hair loss around my face I feel will not return, and having worn bangs all my life, and very blond hair, I look terrible. I ordered Toppik but it cannot make me bangs. I am very fair skinned, otherwise I would dye my hair black! Thank God for my beautiful wig. Hoping things change but I am still trying to be prepared for the worst.

Edited by LindafromFlorida

I love a nice wig. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

@@LindafromFlorida, have you ever tried clip in bangs? I've ordered hair from a particular website for years, and they have really cute clip in bangs. The bang is full and can be custom colored etc. Inbox me if you want the website.

I love a nice wig. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

@@LindafromFlorida, have you ever tried clip in bangs? I've ordered hair from a particular website for years, and they have really cute clip in bangs. The bang is full and can be custom colored etc. Inbox me if you want the website.

No, I am a self taught expert of many years of my very fine and thin hair, and have thought about making some bangs from some wigs, but my hair is so thin on top, I have not attempted. Actually the wig has kept me happy. But I would love to look at the bangs BitterSweet so any help would be appreciated. ldav@clearwire.net. Thank you!!!! Linda

I ordered Toppik on Amazon and its been awesome! Not only does it conceal the thinning bald spots, but I spray some between the layers on my scalp and it seems to thicken it up. I got the .42ounce size with spray pump for under $28. It will last awhile. The spray pump is an absolute must and works much better than just shaking it on.

Thanks ladies! There sounds like there is some hope for this stopping soon and some re-grownth! I will check into the Biotin for now. Best of luck to you all! I Broke into the 180's this morning so I'm feeling pretty good and still thinking all this mess was worth it!!!

I will be sleeved one year 30 September. here is coming back and thicker, which is a good thing. bad thing is I fell out it is only one inch long. my opinion is if you're malnourished, which many overweight people are, before you got the surgery, you will lose a lot of hair. I put in tape in hair extensions in my short short hair for bangs and it looks good.