Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please, I'm afraid this is from a leak...

I'm 6 days post op and I've noticed that the past two days I've had increased swelling on my left side. I noticed it after I woke up from a nap. I was sleeping on my back and slightly to my left. When I got up there was a lot of pain so I looked in the mirror and there was a visible spot where there was swelling with an indent where the top of my pants laid (please note I wore very very loose pants so there's no reason for an indent except from sleeping on it). Now I've noticed it even if I don't sleep on the side (it's there all day) Has anyone experienced this before? Is it normal?

My imagination is running wild and I'm afraid it's a leak and the increased Water has leaked out of the sleeve(I could only get in 8oz but been working on 32 the past 2 days).

Kitten,

Did they do a leak test? If not, I would demand one. It really sounds like you are just having some swelling due to the incision and that is likely where they removed the stomach that was cut. This is typically the largest last to heal. I am one month post op and still have a large mass there and some scar tissue that I can really feel. As long as you don't have fever I would calm down and assume the best. Check your temperature often and sip those fluids. You do not want a trip back to the hospital because you dehydrated.

I'm six days out and think the dent is fairly normal--I'm definitely lopsided and I suspect it's because they took out a pretty big hunk of stomach and things haven't settled yet.

I did find a post here from a while back about recognizing leaks, though. I hope it's helpful to you:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/200506-what-are-the-signs-we-may-have-a-leak/

Call your surgeon ASAP. Please.

No one here can diagnose your condition.

All my incisions are in front of my stomach, the swelling is on the left side, no where near the incisions. It's probably about about 13 by 10 inches. So it's not small.

As for fever... I woke up after my nap and felt off so I took my temp and it was 101.7

Normally I have a low temp after waking up (hypothyroidism). I was hopi g it was unrelated that's why I didnt.mention it.

Call your surgeon ASAP. Please.

No one here can diagnose your condition.

My surgeon won't be in until tuesday. I don't want someone to do me, I just want to know if this is normal and if someone has had it what it was.

Kitten,

Did they do a leak test? If not, I would demand one. It really sounds like you are just having some swelling due to the incision and that is likely where they removed the stomach that was cut. This is typically the largest last to heal. I am one month post op and still have a large mass there and some scar tissue that I can really feel. As long as you don't have fever I would calm down and assume the best. Check your temperature often and sip those fluids. You do not want a trip back to the hospital because you dehydrated.

No leak test. I asked about it but they said it wasn't ordered.

My surgeon doesn't do a leak test afterward either. But he does go through and check all the staple lines during the course of surgery, so it's not necessarily unheard of to not have a swallow test after surgery....

My surgeon doesn't do a leak test afterward either. But he does go through and check all the staple lines during the course of surgery, so it's not necessarily unheard of to not have a swallow test after surgery....

That's what mine does too.

I'm conservative. I'd go to the er to make sure nothing is wrong. They can give u a leak test and incision (go to er that has bariatric practice)

I had a scare (everything was fine) but was happy to rule out anything major

Check your temperature. And if it is up even slightly. Get to the ER...

Would be good to go anyway just to ease your mind. A leak is a great fear of most WLS patients!

I honestly would go to the ER. I don't think that's normal. Do you have pain? It may not be a leak but it may be an abscess, incisional hernia, GI problem, anything. Better safe than sorry!

I honestly would go to the ER. I don't think that's normal. Do you have pain? It may not be a leak but it may be an abscess, incisional hernia, GI problem, anything. Better safe than sorry!

Yes I have pain in that side. Feels muscular and stiff, like I've done a ton of sit-ups.

I took my meds and that helped the fever, and I put ice on the swelling and it brought it down some. I think I'll wait on the dr unless it gets worse. It does seem to be better today then yesterday. I'll update when I know more.

Yes I have pain in that side. Feels muscular and stiff, like I've done a ton of sit-ups.

I took my meds and that helped the fever, and I put ice on the swelling and it brought it down some. I think I'll wait on the dr unless it gets worse. It does seem to be better today then yesterday. I'll update when I know more.

You have or had a fever. GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM NOW! Trust me you don't want to play with this. And if it is not a leak there is some complication. The fever tells your body you have an infection. It would be best to know whether it is a leak or just getting a cold....

Please go!

@@snowkitten, I hope that you went to the ER to get checked out. I understand your apprehension in overthinking it, but this is not the sort of thing you can take chances with. It may be nothing, but it could be something.

Btw, I know every surgeon is different but it is becoming alarming to me that more and more doctors are omitting ordering EGDs pre-operatively and not doing a leak test after surgery. A visual inspection of a newly cut organ is not adequate. Cut things bleed and bleed a lot. Exactly how can they differentiate between bleeding from the boogie cutting the stomach, and a leak in the staple line? Blood is blood and that's the entire point of having patients drink barium after surgery; or at the very least they can run methylene blue through to check for leaks. Hopefully your surgeon did something. I really hope things are fine and that you begin feeling better soon.